21 Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn

by Larry 24 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey Chris,

Yeah, I live in Seattle. I've only been here for the past five years, but I was in the Northgate and Central Seattle congregations. Know anyone from 'round those parts?

...explicit marker for grammatical function. Seems to me that would be very difficult, like the verb tense, mood, number and person markers in romance languages. In english we're used to using order to indicate the grammatical function.

I suppose at first it can seem strange that word order does not matter. It's almost like there's too much flexibility. You can arrange a sentence pretty much any way you like, as long as you mark the components correctly. The one hard and fast rule in Japanese is that the verb comes last (well, at the end of an independent clause). In the end, I think that it's a simple mechanism because the guesswork is removed. In an order-dependent language like English, there can still be ambiguity, but much of that is removed by explicitly marking the components.

Also, since verbs do not have complex endings and nouns are certainly not declined as in Latin, it's a pretty simple system. Here's an example sentence:

Michiko-[subject marker] school-[location marker] went.
    Yesterday Ichiro-[subject marker] ramen-[direct object marker] ate.

So it's kind of cool. But, (I forgot to mention this in my earlier post) one thing I've been thinking is really cool about the agreement in other languages is that it is easier to reconstruct the original if you have fragmentary sources. For example, if you only hear part of a sentence, or if you have an ancient inscription with a couple words missing, you can more easily infer the missing part based on the agreement required by the parts you have. In Japanese, if a word got dropped out, it'd just be gone with a trace. (The larger context might help you, but that's the same in either language.) Kind of makes me wonder how often that has helped in ancient inscriptions.

SNG

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Is it true that Will will will his stuff to the Society when he's gone???

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

German speakers will be wondering what I was on about with "it". Actually, I was wrong. I had a beer and a half last night and got confused, which I often do when it comes to German. "It" is just "it", but everything I said about "it" applies to "this" and "that".

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

ik zal mij op deez wagen wagen,

opdat zij mij naar Leiden leiden

God zal ze met hun plagen plagen,

hen die mij zulke vragen vragen.

This is a very old poem (I think 16 th century) made after the poet (think it was Cats) was challenged to make a poem with double words (meaning different)

translation:

I shall dare to take this car

in order they guide me to Leiden

God will punish with his plaques

the ones who asked me these questions.

I guess every language has this opportuneties

• avengers
    avengers

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy, was he?

Share this