Baptist funerals vs. JW funerals

by jws 13 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

A Iranian funeral i attended 9 yrs ago

I had a very dear Iranian friend who died and i attended his funeral, or what ever it is called. They were not speaking English , so i and many others were confused. at the mosque i believe, they separted the men from the women. Us ladies had to remove our shoes as we entered the mosque, and go upstairs to a sort of viewing room . the men were allowed on the floor were the casket was. the casket was sort of a pine box. It was explained to me that they consider this important (the pine box), to be humble no matter your status and income. nothing fancy, a pine box. the deceased is supposed to be not embalmed and wrapped in white cloth. (however, most places require it, unless u can be buried within 24 hours) also, apparently at least texas does not bury on sunday.(actually the funeral director said it is not done in the states, however i do not know that for sure) so if the deceased dies on saturday, they will have to be buried on monday, and not within the 24 hours that the muslim usually practice, according to what i was told.) They are naked under the cloth. This is to also show humility, and that we come into the world naked, and leave it that way. also it is to show lack if greed . After the speach at the mosque, which i have no idea what was said, we went to the burial plot. The casket was open for all to see. seated by the casket was a group of women. (wife daughter, other female relatives. ) there was much weeping and wailing. They cried out to God. A woman spoke over the deceased and said he was a humble man, and though he was well educated and essentially an important person, he freely gave of his time and services to the poor and helped others. while the woman was speaking, a male started arguing with her and it seemed they engaged in a heated debate for a few minutes. again, i have no clue what was said. This seemed very important. there were a great deal of american onlookers, and we were all a bit taken back by all the weeping and wailing. (and the argument) It is a cultural thing, it was explained to us later. I did not go to the after family meeting, though i was invited. i was a bit overwhelmed and tired. a year later, as per their tradition they have something that is similar to a wake. Forget the name of it. but a lot of expensive food is served, and all sit around and talk and then later a holy man reads either from the koran or whatever . in this case, my friend's wife chose to have a few brief words from the koran and then selected poems.I noted that among the very educated and professional muslims, as my friend was and all his associates, the koran is sort of viewed as the higly educated and intellectual in american view the bible. ie possibly a nice book with stories of moral value but not to be taken literally.My friend had often told me he believed in allah, but did not chose to go to mosque, he said the muslims were a very violent people and he did not share their views. However, he still believed in his God, and was accepted by his comunity as a practicing muslim even though he never attended mosque. He told me that the people that practice the strict laws of the koran were the fanatical. I am sorry i can't remember all he names for the different things, but it has been 9 yrs and i was very upset, as this was a very close friend. For me the significant differences were the highlighting of humility, service to the poor, and the pine box with the naked body wrapped in white cloth and all the weeping and wailing and the separation of the men and women.

I am sure practices probaly do vary among muslims as they do with any religion. I got my explantion of what was taking place from his wife and from my friend the explanation of his feelings about his religion.

• DocBob
    DocBob
    I went to a jw funeral recently...it's quite shocking how similar these things are...

That's because they are all done from the standard outline that is supply by WT HQ. I'll post it when I get home.

• DocBob
    DocBob

Here is the WTS funeral discourse outline:

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)
    Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth
    By whom the deceased is survived
    Dedication record, including privileges of service
    Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED
    Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power
    Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)
    Appreciated God's purpdse regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)
    Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)

Why good people die
    Disobedience of Adam (-Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)
    Offspring inherited deat6 (Rom. 5:12)

Condition of the dead
    Soul is mortal (Ezek 18:4, 20)
    Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)
    The resurredion hope
    Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)
    Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)
    God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)
    For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6)
    "Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16)
    Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon
    Others too are in line for resurrection (Ads 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING
    Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual
    Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)
    Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE
    While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)
    Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)
    One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)
    In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name
    (Prov. 27:11)
    Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will(l Cor. 15:58)

(Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness
    concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this regard. Doctrinal points can be
    presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to
    uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the
    bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close
    is fitting When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the
    hope through the Kingdom, reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and
    1 Corinthians 15:5413-57. This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for
    the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes.)

Printed in U.S.A.
    S-3 11/90

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

The most comforting Scriptures in the entire Bible with regard to persons falling asleep in death: John 11:23-26: Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." Martha said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" 1st Thessalonians 4:13-18: But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words. Psalm 23: T he L ord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the L ord forever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit