what is the rapture?

by candidlynuts 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I think this is taken from 1 Cor 15:51, 52:

"51 Look! I tell YOU a sacred secret: We shall not all fall asleep [in death], but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, during the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we shall be changed."

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The basic idea was contrived to defuse the concerns that the Messianic age had not arrived after a few decades. Paul was telling them that they the then living christaians would live to see the Christ return. Those that had already died were going to be instantaneously resurrected at any time. Since it did not happen later christians reinterpreted the words reading a great deal into the words that was not intended. Leolaia did a piece on the Lukan and mattean verses a while back, I'll try to find them.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

thanks pete..

i appreciate everyones input. thanks

• Carmel
    Carmel

It's another example of taking biblical scripture literally, just like the dubbies and other christians take the idea of resurrection literally. There are other understandings that are consonant with science which I prefer to believe.

carmel

• Preston
    Preston

Rapture (rap'chur) 1. ecstatic joy or delight. 2. a state of extreme sexual ecstasy. 3. the feeling of being transported to another sphere of existence. 4. the experience of being spirited away to Heaven just before the Apocalypse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit