what is the rapture?

by candidlynuts 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i dont recall hearing the term as a jw.. and i've never been anything else.. but since i started reading online some i've seen that term mentioned in context of the great tribulation. is it bible based? is it called something else in the NWT?

sorry if its a stupid question. (i ask a lotta those)

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

The rapture is believe by different religious groups...in general they believe that when Jesus comes calling everyone "Saved" will be swept up into heaven....Whether your driving a car...making love ...you name it....So think WOW and that will cover the scenario

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

ty sheila....where do they find that in the bible?

capt if you'd put your pants on maybe she wouldnt look at you like that LOL

• irishayes
    irishayes

This belief is taken from the book of Luke 17. In verse 26, Jesus is talking about the days of the Son of Man: Luke 17:26 Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. Luke 17::30-36 "It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. 31On that day no one who is on the roof of his house, with his goods inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. 32Remember Lot's wife! 33Whoever tries to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it. 34I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. 35Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left."

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

so ...jw belief is that applies to the 144,000 or that one will live and the others destroyed at armageddon?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i used to know more than i do now.. the trauma i've been thru has pretty much destroyed a lot of memories. so forgive me for asking about stuff i should know.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Everything you wanted to know about the Rapture: (from the Catholic perspective)

http://www.catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

They also use the 'they will be changed in the twinkling of an eye' scripture to support the fact that the rapture will occur.

Basically, it goes like this (at least from the generally Baptist perspective). All truly 'saved' ones will be raptured to heaven prior to the start of the seven years of Great Tribulation prophesied in Revelation. Everyone else will be left here on earth to undergo the tribulation, the purpose of which is to demonstrate God's power and grace and thus save as many as possible of those remaining. At the end of the G.T. will come what they call the 'Glorious Appearing', at which time Jesus will return to earth bringing along those raptured prior to the G.T. and those who were 'martyred' during the G.T. They will all possess the earth for the thousand year reign of Christ, at the end of which, following Satan's release from bondage and subsequent destruction, they will again return to heaven.

Obviously, the JW's have no similar belief (regarding the rapture). They believe that ONLY JW's will survive through the G.T. They, along with the remaining 144,000 here on earth will be responsible for rebuilding the earth, welcoming the resurrected dead, and witnessing to those of the resurrected who have never heard the message of the good news. At the end of the 1,000 years, Satan will be released, go on one last rampage at which time he will kill off the remainder of the 144,000 that survived the G.T. so that they can go to heaven too. Then Satan will be offed and the 'other sheep' get to stay here on earth forever.

Actually, the concept of the rapture is a relatively new one, coming about in or around the 17th century (if memory serves correct) and is by no means a unanimous concept among the mainstream Protestant religions. Obviously, those who believe in the rapture have taken many of these scriptures VERY literally while the WTS takes NOTHING literally - everything is figurative. I'm sure that somewhere in between is the truth....

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

It's a song by Blondie.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

The Blondie on this Board??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit