Bands you want to yourself?

by Lostreality 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• avishai
    avishai

floater

• Odrade
    Odrade

BWAHAHAHA @ Avi. And I don't doubt for a minute that's a real band, like Catbutt.

Lost, don't know if she's your type of music, but she used to play over at the Laurelthirst in NE Portland. Really unusual voice, and she plays the banjo sometimes, but not like deliverance banjo. If ya ever get yourself back on broadband I'll send you one or two just so you can laugh at me.

O

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

First off...hasn't Portishead broken up now? I thought I remembered hearing that a while ago.

Secondly, I don't think I have ever wished a band be unsuccessful. And I have never understood fans who say, "Oh man they sold out." It's just silly really. It would be like if your best friend had a small business, and had a chance to franchise and become a huge success and make all their dreams come true, but you say, "Oh man...you are so selling out!"

Nothing wrong with making money, and nothing wrong with being recogonized for your talent.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*Agrees with Jo*. I've come to the cynical conclusion that most people, even most people far more musically able than myself (which is to say, most people), don't really become fans of a bands sound, they instead look for an audio/visual postcard of the life they think they should be living, and they choose bands that fit nicely into those images and sounds.... or maybe it's even worse, maybe the bands are already on the postcard, and they just buy the postcard and get a prepackaged set of musicians, clothes, cars, clubs and degree of "self" expression.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

LOL Sixy- so which cookie cutter life does one have that Tiny Tim fits into?

• DIM
    DIM

I saw Sigur Ros in Philly a few years ago...absolutely stunning. Never saw something like that before in my life.

I think if a band is great, there is always a chance it will break into the mainstream.....I have loved Fountains of Wayne since the first album came out 8 years ago, and was really happy for them when they broke in a big way....

Portishead hasn't broken up by any means....they are still recording...the album was supposed to be out this year, but its been delayed till 2005

• Snowcrash
    Snowcrash

VNV Nation. The last thing I want is a bunch of screaming teenagers who can't stop talking about Ronan's track suit instead of the bassline on "Fearless".
    Also, it's good to hear that someone loves God Lives Underwater as well. They're a major influence on my music.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit