Does religion play a big part in world politics?

by sleepy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34
    I still can't believe that the USA is so willing to be a patsy of Israel and used so much. Maybe it's just the rest-of-the-world that sees it but from where we're standing, you are getting used and I cannot see what America get's out of it. You have people in high office who are not working for the US interests, that's for sure. --Simon

A friend of mine is very pro-Israel. I asked her once if she was Jewish, she said no, but she had read Leon Uris's Exodus and saw the movie as a teen. She was so affected by this that she wanted to live in a kibbutz and then married a Jewish man. Another friend said, "well if you had read a moving novel about Palestinians instead, would you have felt the same way about them instead of Jews?" She said, probably.

But I don't think that the US isn't getting anything out of supporting Israel. It would seem that they have a very valuable ally in the Middle East that mostly is decidedly unfriendly to the US. That's a lot of oil over there to have only enemies in control of, it would seem. Plus, Israel could be an "on-site" enforcer of what the US wants done.

Really, probably nothing is done completely altruistically between nations.

Blondie, thanks for the information about the Balfour Declaration. I had read that in my Dummies' Guide to the Middle East Conflict, but didn't connect it.

Pat

• bisous
    bisous

ermmm.....is the Pope Catholic?

• sleepy
    sleepy

This is important,"it being clearly understood that nothing should be done which might prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country; " The British idea was that it was ok unless it interfeared with the existing communities. The Israelis operated differently to the mandate. The various USA governments have supported Israel to a far higher degree in resent times than any other nation.This I believe is down to the fact that many presedents proffess to be christian as do a large number of Americans and believe that the Israelits have some right to that land.Whereas Europen leaders and people tend to more non-religious and view Israel as an invading army.What is important is what is happening now in our lifetimes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit