Did You Do a Marriage Ceremony for Non JWs?

by Undecided 13 Replies latest jw friends

• gdt
    gdt

As a 'civil marriage celebrant', i've done dozens of weddings with all variety of spiritual/non-spiritual levels, no criticism or condemnation from any one in Jehovah's organization, i would suggest if anyone wishes to know exactly what the policy is to ask the right persons. Not much use asking what Jesus Christ stood for by asking the Pharisees, one wouldn't think. gdt.

• blondie
    blondie

gdt, you need to ask the right people. There is a letter to the BOE regulating elders giving wedding talks for people who are not JWs, even if they are studying. It is up to the BOE but....they caution that they must consider if someone in the congregation will be stumbled by it or what the community at large will think. If the BOE think that some will be stumbled, then they will direct the elder or brother not to perform the marriage. If that brother goes ahead, he can be removed as an elder or a MS, and lose his privileges. This letter was fairly recent within the last 5 to 7 years so if these weddings were performed before then, this letter was not in place; if afterwards, it was because the BOE approved it. As we have learned, BOE differ from congregation to congregation when it comes to certain policies.

Blondie

• Sassy
    Sassy

I thought they would do marriage for non JWs in the circumstances of when people were living together and studying.. but who knows.. their rules never make sense

It's cool that we have some people on the board who can perform marriage ceremonies.. Not sure if I'll ever get in a relationship I am comfortable enough to say I do in again though..

• jwbot
    jwbot

Evesapple: Universal Life Church is a non-denominational church. It has a web site and you can become a minister by filling out an application.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit