Did You Do a Marriage Ceremony for Non JWs?

by Undecided 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

I just remembered a marriage I did for the daughter of a JW and the son of the president of DanRiver Mills, a textile company who wasn't a JW. That was in the early sixties, I can't remember the details, but it wasn't in a church. I haven't seen them since.

I have performed several marriage ceremonies years ago. The ones I can remember are still together.

Ken P.

• avishai
    avishai

I do it all the time, now, as I am a ULC minister. I married some xjw's. does that count?

• blondie
    blondie

If a brother today would perform a marriage of non-JWs, even if studying and attending meetings, he could lose all his privileges, and if an elder or MS, be removed. There is a BOE letter to that effect.

Blondie

• Odrade
    Odrade

Nope, but I would, gladly, if someone asked me.

Odrade

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Blondie when did this come about?

I know of an elder who married a couple who were studying but living together (so that they could "progress" further". I remember it well because he was the only elder who showed up, (wasn't a KH wedding obviously), and very few other people were there. More cake for me to eat, but I felt sad for the couple, who were obviously treated like second class citizens. If the elder who did this actually bucked the system (this was 96 or 97) to do it, I have a newfound respect for him.

• blondie
    blondie

git, that letter came out in the last 5 years and was a readjustment of previous thinking. It is up to the discretion of the BOE not an individual elder so if they don't support him on it, he could be removed.

Blondie

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

so if a couple studying with the witnesses who are not married want to become married so that they can get their lives in accordance with JW principles actually request an elder handle their marriage ceremony, most elders will now say no, and make them go to the Justice of the Peace instead. What a rediculous, uncaring religion. They paint themselves into a corner.

• jwbot
    jwbot

avishai: I am a ULC minister too :) I have not married anyone yet though.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

im a ULC minister too, JWBOT. I just wanted clergy parking at hospitals at the time,

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

I remember my dad marrying 2 non-JW couples both at a home in Wisconsin. I think it was still kind of frowned upon back then (late 70's early 80's), but there wasn't much information the society had on it, so nothing was really said to him....both couples were studying neither converted.

What a ULC minister? what denomination is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit