Where do you find spiritual fulfillment now?

by marked 35 Replies latest jw friends

• marked
    marked

Hey everyone.

I've been "out" for about six months now, fully enjoying life for the first time in a very long time. Part of my joy comes from the freedom I now have to explore other spiritualities.

I will say, though, that since leaving I've felt something lacking in my life. Not because I regret my decision to leave. Far from it. It's more a void resulting from my gradual realization that I was never truly spiritual when in the org. Ask the average JW the definition of the word and inevitably you'll get a response along the lines of "meeting attendance," "pre-studying," "service," etc. Obviously, none of this has anything to do with true spirituality.

So, where do you go to satiate your spiritual thirst?

• Carmel
    Carmel

I'm not sure "satiate" is the right verb. I find I have different "needs", some of which require solitude while others are satisfied with social interaction. Study and reflection time on issues of intellectual nature are always imporved by interacting with others, but like biorythems, they come and go with different intensity depending upon a lot of other things. I enjoy a good mind flush occassionally so trecking up a creek with my terrior or exploring an abandoned logging road or homestead gets me to escape the intensity of life and its constant drum beat. Church with its rituals and one-way communication never did anything for me.. when it comes to religious activity, I need to have full participation to feel I've gotten anything out of it. The Borg meetings did not allow for personal opinions or creative thought so it was never satisfying or intellectually stimulating..

carmel

• Carmel
    Carmel

whoops,,,didn't spell check...

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Where do you find spiritual fulfillment now?

Eating Cheetos. That's about as spiritual as can be!

Farkel

• RR
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I will say, though, that since leaving I've felt something lacking in my life. Not because I regret my decision to leave. Far from it. It's more a void resulting from my gradual realization that I was never truly spiritual when in the org. Ask the average JW the definition of the word and inevitably you'll get a response along the lines of "meeting attendance," "pre-studying," "service," etc. Obviously, none of this has anything to do with true spirituality.

The JWs make the mistake of thinking that spirituality is a physical action when it is completely internal.

For me, feeling happy and at peace is a spiritual experience. In trying to achieve this I try to arrange my life to be as simple as possible in order to avoid stress.

Even when I am at work I try to work at a steady comfortable pace? I get things done while avoiding stress.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Since the word "spirituality" has about as many definitions as there are people, I find it to be a completely masturbatory word, and not something I see any real value in.

• little witch
    little witch

Very good question Marked and welcome to the board.

I am in agreement with Carmel in many ways. My sprirituality is very complex and multi faceted. There are times that I take great spritual comfort in seeing wonders of nature, and I will converse with god or just sit and take in the beautiful gifts with my senses.

Sometimes I find it in writings of people that I feel are very attuned to the divine. People who make an example in their lives and that I find exceptional.

Sometimes I find great spritual help in music. There are so many songwriters and singers that just have the gift so to speak.

Many are blessed with the gift of poetry, and convey much spirituality in their works.

Artists such as Michael D'Angelo seem to touch me very deeply. His works have a very calming and godly effect on me.

I guess that to sum it up, I get my spirituality mainly through the acts of other people. That makes god real to me. Although I lean toward Christianity, I freely accept and admire people from all walks of faith who help me feel close to god.

• kls
    kls

I don't know if it is spiritual fulfillment , i won't ever belong to any organized religion again or listen to any preachers telling me they have all the answers. To me it is what a person feel's inside knowing right from wrong, caring of others and the world around you. Not out of the bible that i believe has been so tampered with so many times. Bottom line is you, me , a person that is loving and caring with out scripts.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I don't know if you can call it fufillment, unless the journey is really the reward (and if that is true, then the journey has no inherent destination which is an intriging prospect), but I find I have more peace, and have been able to work out many issues that have bothered me through meditation. Meditation is like excersize to calm the violent waves of the mind, and allow you to see better below the surface. Anyone can meditate, regardless of your beliefs or lack thereof, regardless of your money, or lack thereof. All you need is some instruction in how to do it, and some time in which to practise. I have found it does help to meditate in the company of others periodically, for whatever reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit