Could C T Russell been gay and hid behind a sexless mariage?

by frankiespeakin 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I mean could that be the reason behind no sex with Maria he had a boy friend like that guy MENTA STURGEON.

From his account of his last days with Russell seem quite emotionally attached December1 1916:

http://www.ctrussell.us/

::R6001 : page 360::

ADDRESSES AT AFTERNOON SERVICE

PASTOR RUSSELL'S LAST DAYS--BY MENTA STURGEON--NEW YORK

On Monday afternoon, October 16th, at five o'clock, Brother Russell left the Bethel Home for the last time. At the noon hour he informed the dearest family (to him) on earth that he expected to be absent from them for a short time, and expressed for them the hope that during his absence they might be happy and prosperous under the blessings of the Lord. He also said that he expected that he and the one accompanying him would enjoy themselves in the Lord's service. Then, while he and the family stood at their places, he offered a solemn prayer, beginning with the words:
    "O Lord, Thy promised grace impart,
    And fill each consecrated heart!" and quietly withdrew to his Study. There he dictated nine letters, giving instructions to various ones respecting their duties. At the appointed hour he went forth, never more to return, saying "goodby" to the friends in the hall as he passed out and started for the station.

When the Lehigh Valley train pulled out of Jersey City at six o'clock p. m., it carried away our precious Brother on his last pilgrim journey, which was to end in Heaven. Having held public meetings at Providence and Fall River the day previous, he was tired to start with, and consequently did not dictate on the train that evening, as was his custom. In fact, he retired earlier than usual, saying "Good-night" as he did so. In the morning, in answer to the question as to how he rested, he gave his usual answer during his recent trips, "On both sides," meaning, of course, that he changed sides frequently during the night.
    He often told us of late that he scarcely slept at all, was awake every hour of the night, and thought pretty much day and night. He had the care of all the churches upon his heart, and his physical ailments would not permit much rest. He always ate sparingly, and would carefully note the effect of everything he ate or drank. Frequently would he divide his portion with his companion, in order to economize. It was his invariable custom to return thanks before all meals, whether in hotels, on trains, or where not. He had a beautiful way of making the one who traveled with him feel at ease, and not consider himself merely as a servant, by handing him enough money at the beginning of the journey to cover all his incidental expenses during the trip. He would then arrange that we pay each other's expenses alternately; he paying all expenses for both one day, and his companion paying all expenses for both the next day, and so on during the entire trip..........

aroused from slumber by his knocking and calling us by name--it was probably a couple of hours. But we went to him quickly, did what was required, heard him say again "Thank you," and again lay down. This time, however, we did so with the thought that we would not sleep so soundly. In another hour he knocked and called again; and we were at his side, and soon discovered that another chill was coming on. He had had his first one two nights before. We put five Pullman blankets upon him and tucked them in close on every side; but still he shook. We gave him what was required, and was glad when the rigors ceased. We remained by his side, lying down at times on the couch beside him.

PREPARATIONS FOR DEATH

Toward morning he had me make a robe for convenience sake by pinning a sheet inside of a blanket, wrapping him in it like a robe and fastening it under his chin. He stood up on the floor for this purpose, and then lay down on the couch instead of returning to his berth. I therefore sat on his bed while he lay before me. After several hours his robe proved to be rather inconvenient, because the sheet and blanket could not be kept together. It was then that he stood again and said, "Please make me a Roman toga."

I did not understand what he meant, but did not like to have him repeat, because he was so weak. His voice had become so weak that he had to repeat nearly everything he said. I had said to him at several times, "Dear Brother Russell, I do not like to ask you to repeat anything (It had always been my custom to listen to him so closely in all his dictation as not to require any repetition); but your voice is so weak that one can scarcely hear you." He would always repeat until at last the repetition would do no good, after which he made signs. Finally the signs failed.

I said, "Brother Russell, I do not understand what you mean." He said, "I will show you." He had me take a clean sheet and turn it down twelve inches from the top; and then a second one the same. Placing his left hand on his right shoulder, he said, "Fasten them together here." Having in my pocket a paper of safety-pins which I had recently purchased, it was easy for me to hold the sheets together on his right shoulder and at the same time reach into my pocket and get a safety-pin. The sheets being fastened with the pin, as he had directed, he said, "Now fasten them together on the other shoulder." This I did. There he stood, one ,sheet extending from his neck to his feet in front and the other in the back, fastened together on his two shoulders, and folded together at the edges. He stood erect before me for a moment without saying a word, then lay down on the couch on his back, closed his eyes, and lay there before me as in a shroud, a perfect picture of death.

I sat on the side of the bed watching him, beholding him, and the thought of death went through my mind. It was difficult for me to get the thought into my head that Brother Russell was going to die. I could not exactly believe it, even now. It all seemed so foreign to what we had expected. However, I know now that the Lord was gradually teaching us both from the time we had left San Antonio until now that Brother Russell's end was drawing on apace. How much Brother Russell may have understood or meant by these movements we may not surely know. They were at least the wisest things that could be done in his case; but to us they mean far more, and we believe that the Lord so arranged. The toga was worn by Roman officials and sometimes by priests, and sometimes symbolized victory and peace, and at other times that the one wearing it had fulfilled his vows. To the writer's mind all these things are meant. He had fulfilled his vows! he had gained the victory! he was at peace! Thenceforth there was laid up for him a Crown of Righteousness, which the Lord would shortly place upon his noble brow.

CONCERNING THE SEVENTH VOLUME

With those scenes before me and with thoughts of the end running through my mind, it was only natural for me to say to myself, Had you not better ask Brother Russell concerning some things? It was in this mood and in this connection that we inquired respecting the Seventh Volume, and received his answer, "Some one else can write that." We were satisfied. He had spoken concerning the smiting of the Jordan, the payment of the Penny and the writing of the Seventh Volume; and this was enough. There was nothing left to doubt or fear. We believe that he said everything that he desired to say, and that the Lord gave through him all that He wished the Church to have respecting these great, vital and important matters. Brother Russell seemed to have no desire, neither did there seem to be any need, to say and do a lot of little things at the close of his life that had been left undone. He had finished his course. His labors were o'er. He was ready to be offered. W e were solemnly busy throughout the day (Monday), so much so that we had no time for either dinner or supper. When night drew on, he was in his berth; and I lay down on the couch, with clothes on, to rest awhile. I was just about to sink into sleep when I thought I heard the words, "Brother Sturgeon." As I came to, the experiences of Samuel came into my mind. I leaned over him and said, "Brother Russell, did you call me?" He answered "Yes," and gave me some little thing to do, after which I lay down the second time. Ere long I thought I heard my name called again. I inquired as before, bent over close to him and heard him whisper, "I am trying to find something for you to do." From this I inferred, "Brother Russell wants me to stay awake tonight"; and it proved to be even so.

DEATH DRAWING NEAR

I kept doing many little, necessary things in harmony with his words or signs until another chill (the third one) came on. I folded blanket after blanket over him, tucked them in close to him; but still he shook. I therefore lay on him and pressed my face to his until I felt the warmth returning to his body. The fact that this was the third chill in four nights deepened the impression in my mind that the end was drawing near.

About midnight a great change came over him. He no longer cared for any of his medicine, and did not even seem to thirst for water as heretofore. Some things almost ceased. His pain settled deeper in. He could no longer lie straight in bed as formerly. He must sit up; and when he would lie down, he would double together, and his head would rest straight toward the window and free from the pillows. In this posture he would be quiet for awhile until his mouth would fill from his stomach, and he would signal to be raised. Being relieved of this, he would request to be lowered for comfort, until, to prevent strangulation, he would be raised again. This prevented it, and proper attention given, he would lie down again to get relief from pain.

This continued for seven hours with increased frequency and weakness. When he could no longer make his wishes known by words, he would do so by signs. When lying across the bed and desiring to be raised, he would lift his right hand and arm in such a way that my head would fit in the curvature of his arm and he could cling to my neck, while my left arm could fit around his neck, and thus elevate him to a sitting posture. This continued until the thought arose in my mind as to who would become exhausted first. I thought of the friends at home, of the many interested friends everywhere. I looked to the Lord, and steeled myself, saying, "I will stay with him to the finish."

In the early morning he surrendered. He was exhausted; and I could now lay him straight in bed with his head on the pillow in its accustomed place, and he could at last rest. The calm after the storm had come. He was now to die gradually, regularly, peacefully; and I was to stand by watching him, loving him, and expressing my affection for him by gently stroking his hair and his beard and rubbing his head, his face, his hands, and his feet. I did not seem to be able to do enough for him, now that he had passed beyond a certain line.

THE LAST HOURS

Several times on Monday I raised him up in bed, sat behind him so as to brace him; and his head would lean against mine. Once he whispered, "Have you anything to suggest?" I had; for I wished him to return direct to Galveston and take the steamer for New York, or else go through by train without stopping at Topeka, Tulsa or Lincoln. He answered, "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof," by which I understood him to mean that Topeka and other places would take care of themselves when we got to them, and that we need not consider them as yet. It was then that I asked him respecting the Seventh Volume, and afterwards sat meditating what to suggest. After a period of perfect silence I thought I would say something to him about dying and certain matters connected therewith, but I hesitated and hardly knew how to begin. He was sitting up in bed and I put my arm around his neck and said, "Brother Russell, you are a very sick man." His lip quivered; we lowered him, and turned away to weep. I had gone far enough in that direction. I knew not to attempt that again. It was evident that neither he nor I could stand it, and that nothing more could be done. The most wonderful thing about this most wonderful man was that, during all his sufferings, trials, inconveniences and perplexities, he spoke not a word of complaint; he heaved not a sigh; he uttered not a moan; he shed not a tear. He had resolved that he would not murmur nor complain, and he kept his resolution to the end. He literally died in doing the Father's will, and thus fulfilled his vow. "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from henceforth. "

BROTHER RUSSELL'S DEATH

We watched by his side all Tuesday morning with but little to do except to watch and pray. Noticing that this was the last day of October, we concluded that he would died before midnight, and consequently wrote out the following telegram to the friends in Brooklyn: "Before October closes our dearly Beloved Brother Russell will be with the Lord in glory. We are alone in Car Roseisle on Santa Fe train No. 10, due in Kansas City 7:35 Wednesday morning, and he is dying like a hero. After embalming will come home with his remains, or else go direct to Pittsburgh." We called in the Pullman conductor and also the porter and said, "We want you to see how a great man of God can die." The sight deeply impressed them, especially the porter. I called in the regular conductor, and telegraphed for a physician to board the train at Panhandle; and he did. He saw the condition, recognized the correctness of the diagnosis and conclusion, gave me his name, and was off before the train got under headway.

At one o'clock all were dismissed from the room, the door was locked, and we quietly watched over him until he breathed his last. We had observed the approaching signs of death before calling in the trainmen. These continued until the finger nails became discolored, the cold perspiration settled upon that noble forehead, his hands and feet grew cold, his face indicated a break, he drew his feet up in the bed like Jacob of old, his quiet breathing became less frequent, his drooping eyelids opened like the petals of a flower and disclosed those eyes--those wonderful eyes! in all their magnificence --that we will never forget. Presently he breathed no more; we pressed our lips upon his noble brow, and knew that he had gone to be forever with and like the Lord, whom he loved so well.

"Dear Lord, oh, use me as the Angel in Gethsemane! Oh, fill me with Thy Holy Spirit of Divinest love! Oh, make me sympathetic, wise, that every anguished heart May come, nor seek in vain for consolation from Thy Word, And strengthened, comforted, go forth to prison or to death, To suffer patiently the cruel mockings of the tongue; To bear the cross unto the bitter end, and then to calmly say, 'Tis finished,' and with faith unwavering pass beneath 'the veil!'"

====================
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I'm not saying he was gay, but you got to wounder. Don't forget being gay back then was really socially unexceptable,,he would not be able to sell bible magazines that people would pay for if he was gay,,he may have needed a wife like Rock Hudson did. Just a thought.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Now I'm not say gay is bad because it is not. All I am saying is Russell sounds like a very repressed person in denial of everything he conciders negative,, and is so clever at denial that he fools himself completely to his own harm as well as,,, as many,, he can drag with him.

• gumby
    gumby

Frankie......have you had your Ritalin yet today?

Maybe tiss time to give charlie a rest

Gumby

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Gumby,

Never touch the stuff.

But I've spent about 3 hour listening to Shamanistic druming annd the transe is pretty powerfull.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

With respect,i always get uncomfortable hearing a tainting (no matter how benign) against a long dead person

• shamus
    shamus

Coulda, coulda, coulda.

• shamus
    shamus

Actually, this topic reminds me that we're running out of things to talk about.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Come on! Could your perspective be based upon lacking "natural affection?" This man was held in reverence by the "brethren", which is quite different than a brothel or bathhouse tryst. Maybe some of his philosophy was way out, but gay? Come on! Those shamanistic drummers have been hitting your head too hard, maybe go back to the 'Dave Clark 5'.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Frankie,

Why even question this man's sexuality when he is not here to defend himself and you have no way of proving it? If there was any doubt in Russell's day, don't you think his enemies would have expounded on it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit