Damn! Jesus had a BEARD! What do we do now?

by JanH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Not only Jesus, but also Russell and a buncha them other founders of the Borg.

As we all know, the whole beard issue is totally subjective. People who want to grow beards in this day and age are usually young people. Holding it unacceptable for young men to wear beards is nothing more than the elders, with the support of Borg headquarters, displaying their authority over these younger men - plain and simple.

The beard issue is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Not that the elders in my particular congregation were sad to see me go. I don't wish to sound egotistic or conceited, but frankly I could think circles around those dunderheads and in argumentation leave them gasping. They were happy to see me go. I represented the ultimate threat to them: a regular publisher who could kick their "dialectics" up their butt. The beard was nothing more than a hairy excuse.

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Hi Jan,

In recent years in many lands a beard or long hair on a man attracts immediate notice and may, in the minds of the majority, classify such a person undesirably with extremists or as rebels against society.

I wonder when the Tower will grow up and see the obvious, whereas the "majority" do not paint others "undesirable" or "extremists" because they have a beard. JWs can't turn on TV or pick up a newspaper without seeing government officials, business executives, and other respected men wearing beards. The No Beard policy of the Tower is nothing more than another smoke screen to see who's foolish enough to follow the blind fossils of Brooklyn. But then again, the entire religion seems based on that.

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• JanH
    JanH

SJ,

So from where do you get the idea Jesus was a Nazirite?

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• open_mind
    open_mind

I have a beard....

I started to grow it before I became inactive. Many JW's have looked at me quite wierd. I never knew a little hair could make people treat you so differently.....

Good thing they never saw my ass!

• Maximus
    Maximus

You kiddie are too young, mayhap, to have studied "The Truth Shall Make You Free" book, in which Jesus is pictured as paaaaale white, with the reddest apple cheeks--looked like a glistening sunburn.

To "learn" the Lord had a beard put many in shock. They left some wiggle room.

In the 50's there were a few who got away with it, pleading some skin disorder that was thereby covered. <cough> Anybody remember Norman Crowhurst? Pioneered stereo sound in the US, one of the British contingent over here. Beard permission given by his chum Milton Henschel, who was a bit of a rebel and more "progressive."

Anyone remember the IBM standard? How they dressed, we were to dress. I think of that once in a while when meeting the nerdy but very individualistic lads at that once-hallowed institution.

I permitted forerunners to "soul patches" and got away with it.

Maximus

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I've always wondered the same thing about beards. How on earth has having a neat beard ever meant rebellion? I've never seen anyone in "the world" think twice about a beard.

The whole anti-beard thing came from Rutherford. He did everything possible to distance dubs from the memory of Russell. Russell had a beard, and many Bible students wore beards in the style of Russell as a gesture of their admiration for him. Rutherford hated that,
    and therefore he put the kabosh on beards, first in the Bethels and worked his way down through the ranks.

The Bible had nothing to do with it. The Bible had nothing to do with anything Rutherford did.

Farkel

• JanH
    JanH

Da Farkel,

The Bible had nothing to do with it. The Bible had nothing to do with anything Rutherford did.

That may not be intirely correct. There are rumours he had a big Bible fall on his head when he was a kid.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest JanH... may you have peace!

"So from where do you get the idea Jesus was a Nazirite?"

I got it from my Lord when he explained to me WHY he compared himself with John the Baptist...

"John (a Nazirite) came neither eating NOR drinking
    (thus, living up to his vow), yet people say 'he has
    a demon'; the Son of Man did come eating AND drinking
    (yet, he was a Nazirite), still people say, "Look! A
    man gluttonous and given to drinking wine, a friend
    of the tax collectors and sinners (thus appearing to
    contradict his Naziriteship of abstaining from wine
    AS WELL AS his 'separation')".

His point? It didn't MATTER whether one APPEARED to be 'righteous' or not. Those who weren't willing to accept the works of such ones, simply weren't going to accept them, no matter HOW they 'appeared'. He went on to say that BOTH had proved their 'Nazariteship', in that 'wisdom is PROVED righteous... by its works'. The main POINT of being a Nazarite, then, was a separation to do GOD'S WILL, not a separation because one was BETTER than others. The abstinence from wine was to keep a sharp mind... as well as 'ear'... and the hair thing was simply an outward 'reminder' of the vow.

That is why Samson THOUGHT he had lost his 'power' when his hair was cut. Had he 'walked by faith', though, and not by 'sight', he would have known that he had never 'lost' anything... BUT his faith. And with his faith, went his strength. For all it took was faith 'the size of a mustard seed', and he COULD have 'moved mountains'... and not just toppled a temple.

The 'works' of a Nazirite... are obedience to GOD, by means of the spirit that resides in them: John, chosen to be a Nazirite by God before his birth in the flesh, was sent to 'prepare a way' for the one coming after him. Once grown, he could have 'begged off' and said, 'But the people won't LIKE what I am sent to say.' But he didn't; he obeyed and fulfilled his commission. Even exposing the wickedness of Herod and as a result, even to his death.

My Lord, was sent to provide a 'ransom' and a 'releasing'. And he obediently did that. He, too, could have said, "The people won't LIKE it," and they didn't, but he obeyed God, rather than men. In addition, he, too, exposed the wickedness of the Pharisees, and thus, in all things (releasing, ransoming and exposing), fulfilled HIS commission, even to HIS death.

Now, did I find it 'written' specifically that my Lord was a 'Nazir'? No, but I know what a 'Nazir' truly is, and my Lord was one. In addition, I just listened to what he told me.

However, that might also account for why he was from Nazareth. Perhaps it WAS a town of Nazirites. I don't know; I have not asked, and I have not heard. I didn't think it important.

Dear, JanH, I know that walking by faith is very difficult for some people, what with being lied to and misled so horribly by 'religion'. I absolutely understand the skepticism and the need of some folks to explain away everything by means of physical logic. I have that need, too, to some degree. That is why, before writing off God altogther after coming to know the truth about the WTBTS, I ASKED... if there WAS a 'truth'... for it to be revealed to me, that if God DID exist, for Him to reveal Himself to me. Imagine my GREAT surprise, when I 'received' exactly what I asked for.

And it is why, before I 'accepted' anything, I asked my Lord to reveal the truth to me. Since he has never lied to me, however, I have learned to trust him with what he says now. But it does take faith, something I do not possess on my own. So... I ask for that, too.

As for the things I am granted to 'see' and 'hear'... I wish NOTHING else... but the same for all others who 'wish' it, too.

I bid you peace!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit