Congregation Picnics

by Funchback 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Funchback
    Funchback

My former congregation usually had a congregation picnic once a year. All of the brothers (a/k/a men) had to pay for all of the food. The sisters (a/k/a women) had the Godly priviledge of serving the food.

The music was usually a blend of Kingdom Melodies and Smooth Jazz.

My least favorite part was the prayer. Everything had to stop. Whether you were playing Volleyball or if you were fishing or if you were walikng along the trail, you would inevitably here the call: "Everybody, come on over. We are about to say the prayer!". And, mind you, this was the call that can be heard at the entire PUBLIC PARK because we always rented the picnic area that had the shelter and electricity. NORMAL families that were gathered at the neighboring picnic areas would look over at us like we were weird! Then, the prayer would always begin with, "Dear heavenly father, Jehovah..."

Oh, well. At least the food was good.

So, what were YOUR congregation picnics like?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

We have them in a VFW hall, never the less we cannot go to YMCA or donate to Salvation Army,

but they can pay their rented hall (VFW) and be OK with it!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

We have the same brother playing the squezzebox (dont know what its called) and they think IT IS THE SHIT!

one good thing, due to our nationality we bring some wine, and no one says any objections!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

We had those in the SEVENTIES. A long, long time ago. There were occassional get-togethers in the '80s, but the real picnics in parks with lots of games and volleyball and lotsa food went the way of the dinosaur....The only exception was when someone was moving away or graduating. Then it'd be like old times.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I've heard some KH in florida have pools in the back, any truth to this?

• kls
    kls

Sometimes someone makes a post that brings back memories and i wonna puke, and this is one. Oh how i hated them things, and there was this one sister that every time someone would pass by her they could not until they said Jehovah.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

My father-in-law made me aware of the prayer --> before every nitpicking snack & dessert!

• minimus
    minimus

We used to have them but they were discouraged because they were too large a gathering and somethin' bad could happen.

• kls
    kls

Mini, your kidding ,,,,,right?

• Funchback
    Funchback

My congregation had some moderate to heavy drinkers. So, there was always a cold brew ready to be had at these picnics.

Too bad I wasn't much of a drinker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit