what if the earth rotated backwards?

by hungry4life 31 Replies latest social family

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

In the 1978 movie, Superman was able to rotate the Earth backwards by flying counterclockwise. That turned back time just long enough so he could save Lois Lane. I told my son that when he was 5 and his response was: "Cool!"

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Duh! I just noticed my typo above. hounger=younger.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Gravity. They still havnt figured that one out. Its probably a really simple answer.

• kls
    kls

We'd get dizzy? Darn kids some are to smart for their own good.

• Funchback
    Funchback

If the earth rotated backwards then you would hear subliminal messages.

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

thank you to everyone who responded I appreciate your help

I told her that what you said about the sun rising in the west and that some planets rotate in the opposite direction

she seemed happy with that and then without missing a beat she said "so how do fish breathe through gills?"

geez luckily there are a lot of sites with information on that subject!

she just turned 7 on Friday and had her 6th birthday party (doing better than my 11 year old who has only had 5 )

They are happy well adjusted kids and I am ever so grateful that I left in time for them to have a normal inquisitive and happy childhood

thanks to all of you who come to this site for helping me to be strong when I had no one else to turn to

you do make a difference in peoples lives! humbly grateful hungry4life

• TonyT
    TonyT

If it did, would the water in the toilet spin counterclockwise?

Except in Austrailia of course, then would it spin clockwise?

lmao! Thats the first thing that I thought.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    she seemed happy with that and then without missing a beat she said "so how do fish breathe through gills?"

lol... that's what I love about kids! Always so currious about the world around them!

Gills work the same way as lungs only they absorb oxygen from the water as the water flows over them... lungs work by having air moving in and out of them. Make sure she knows that lungs can't breath water!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

What? We're not.... sh*t , you guys never tell me anything before it happens!

Hill (always 180 outta sync class)

• onacruse
    onacruse

One could take this question to different level: what if the earth suddenly started rotating in the reverse direction?

Some of the main things that would happen:

1) every continent would be flooded for several hundreds of miles inland, primarily on the east coasts, wiping out billions of people;

2) the jet stream would shift (due to Coriolis forces), and unimaginable tornadoes and hurricanes would ravage the entire planet;

3) geologic forces in the earth's core (due to the shift of centrifugal energy) would cause unprecedented volcanic activity and 20-magnitude earthquakes, with consequential destruction of all human structures and, probably, the subsidence of major parts of all continents;

4) all the above-said cataclysmic effects would fill the atmosphere with so much dust and debris that there would be no solar energy on the surface of the planet for years, killing all plant life;

4) As a result, all non-vegetative life on earth would die...and then we'd not have to worry about it!

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit