My bible study conductor deceived me with this point.

by cyber-sista 15 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Birthdays are not mentioned until the 13th chapter of the Knowledge book which is 2/3 of the way through the book. Thus a foundation of the resurrection of loved ones, living on a paradise earth, and being in the "last days" has already been established. This one paragraph establishes the so-called scripturalness of not celebrating birthdays.

kl chap. 13 pp. 126-127 Why Living a Godly Life Brings Happiness ***
    The Bible specifically mentions only two birthday observances, both involving men who did not serve God. (Genesis 40:20-22; Matthew 14:6-11) Since the Scriptures do not reveal the birth date of the perfect man Jesus Christ, why should we give special attention to the birthdays of imperfect humans? (Ecclesiastes 7:1) Of course, godly parents do not await a special day to show their children love. A 13-year-old Christian girl remarked: "My family and I have lots of fun. . . . I?m very close to my parents, and when other kids ask why I don?t celebrate holidays, I tell them that I celebrate every day." Said a Christian youth aged 17: "In our house, gift-giving is all year long." Greater happiness results when gifts are given spontaneously.
  • cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    Birthdays are not mentioned until the 13th chapter of the Knowledge book which is 2/3 of the way through the book. Thus a foundation of the resurrection of loved ones, living on a paradise earth, and being in the "last days" has already been established.

Yes, and by that time they have you hooked. They have baited you along with all those marvelous hopes: the ressurection, paradise earth, etc, etc. By that time something like a birthday celebration seems a very insignifigant thing to give up in light of this whole panacea of a belief system. Eventually you learn that you have to give up much much more than that, but by that time the grip is tighter and you are already too deeply entrenched. So you get baptized and blindly follow along with the program...until one fine day... when something snaps...

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Cybersista, I did a wee bit of research in the WTs and in 1962 has this to say about wife and children being holy etc. Here is an excerp from that study; Its in the August 1st 1962 Role of Wife and Children in a Happy Family

13 Not all children, however, are fortunate enough to be raised where both parents are believing parents. Nonetheless, the obligation rests on the believing parents to give spiritual food to their children. At times this may be difficult, but it does bring a great reward. Good examples may bring salvation. For example, where the wife is a dedicated Christian and the husband is not, then good counsel is given at 1 Peter 3:1-4: "In like manner, you wives, be in subjection to your own husbands, in order that, if any are not obedient to the word, they may be won without a word through the conduct of their wives, because of having been eyewitnesses of your chaste conduct together with deep respect. And do not let your adornment be that of the external braiding of the hair and of the putting on of gold ornaments or the wearing of outer garments, but let it be the secret person of the heart in the incorruptible apparel of the quiet and mild spirit, which is of great value in the eyes of God."

14 Thus Christian wives, because of their godly conduct, may be able to exercise a wholesome influence on their undedicated mates, leading to a dedicated relationship with Jehovah God and ultimate salvation. The apostle Paul wrote: "For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy." (1 Cor. 7:14) Believing parents should always be guided by love, for this exerts the greatest influence on those who are not in the way of life.

What of the situation where one mate is a dedicated Christian and the other an unbeliever? Said Paul: "If any brother has an unbelieving wife, and yet she is agreeable to dwelling with him, let him not leave her; and a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and yet he is agreeable to dwelling with her, let her not leave her husband. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy. But if the unbelieving one proceeds to depart, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not in servitude under such circumstances, but God has called you to peace. For, wife, how do you know but that you will save your husband? Or, husband, how do you know but that you will save your wife?"-1 Cor. 7:12-16.

That quote is from the Wt October 15th 1963 entitled article When Marriage Ties are at the Breaking Point. page 3

Well I hope this is helpful to some extent.

All lthe Best Cyber sista and Hi from Orangefatcat.

• Deleted
    Deleted

Yep, sure did. I was working for a company that made blood transfusion filters when we were "studying". The blood issue came up. I balked. But I asked what would happen if I had a blood transfusion (I knew of the dangers, but life is life). He said "they wouldn't do anything about it". I said fine and we continued. After getting indoctinated I found out this was a lie. I confronted him with it and he said "blood transfusions are unlikely, being in the "truth" is a day to day struggle, it's not the big things, blah blah blah". So I took it that I had a free pass since he lied. I should have backed out there and then, but I was love-bombed, thought it was the truth and all that.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo
    I may have thought twice about the whole deal if they would've told me their attitude towards those on the outside. I had "worldly" friends and they never told me I would have to drop those when I became a JW either. They never told me that the religion really taught that everyone who I have ever loved in my life would be slaughtered by God in the end They hid a lot of things from me or covered them over and I found out later it was too late (or so I was lead to believe--you have to live up to your dedication, right?).

Yup. Same here. I wanted a wholesome and decent life. But I ended up getting closed and very cult like life that drove me to depression. The witnesses don't want to say the whole truth. Otherwise they wouldn't get any new member. When I asked them about 1975 fiesco, they told me it was just among "a few brothers" and they said that the society never engaged in such thought. Yeah, right. When I confronted them with a proof, they then said that I should change my view point. What a bunch of lying hypocrates!

• gumby
    gumby
    They never told me that the religion really taught that everyone who I have ever loved in my life would be slaughtered by God in the end They hid a lot of things from me or covered them over and I found out later it was too late (or so I was lead to believe--you have to live up to your dedication, right?).

Anyone have an experience like this where things of this sort were hidden from you?

The WTBTS has been talking out of both sides of their mouth since their beginning.

As for Salvation of unbelieving family members, we have been taught through the years that......

...if a spouse is dedicated to Jehovah...the family will be saved,

...that each member of that family that is of the age of responsibility, stands before Jehovah individually whether dedicated or not

... that ALL who are not dedicated and part of his organisation will be judged worthy of death BEFORE the Great Tribulation strikes

...that judging or seperation the sheep/goats doesn't start until AFTER the Great Tribulation starts, hence we can't say who will be spared.

As you can see.......you can take your pic. This is only ONE area they have kept the publishers in confusion.......and they have the nerve to call religion "Babylon"(confusion)

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit