wierd JW sister experience

by AuSet 10 Replies latest jw friends

• AuSet
    AuSet

I was walking in uptown MPLS on hennipen ave....last weekend, with my JW sister, her JW boyfriend, and my fiance....

There was this lady sitting on a park bench reading what looked like a new Awake rather conspicuously , I was about to yell out to her "Are you counting your time or what?" when I noticed a small table she had set up on the sidewalk with some very old JW WTs on it, and some other old literature....

My sister sees it and quickly sidesteps it as though she had been shocked...and she said to her JW bf while sucking in her breath loudly "ooooo....that's APOSTATE literature."

Wait a second...I said loudly....am I to understand that you just called the JWs own literature APOSTATE? Am I losing my mind here or what??? Her boyfriend then agreed with her....when I started questioning her further on the matter, asking her why any JW literature more than a few years old is considered apostate, because of all their chaning doctrines, etc...she quickly backed down and denied ever calling it apostate in the first place.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of thought process, rewriting history, etc. she had to go through to reconcile stuff in her head, I'm just glad I don't have it!!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Yeah weird ...

but my question is : did they tell you that the WTBS do not want to display their old literrature or what ?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I'm not exactly sure what kind of thought process

That's an easy answer - there is NONE.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

About how old was the literature?

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I think the Org has created a lot of paranoia in these past months with their apostate bashing message. Seems like they have been especially rabid about it these days, especially with their assembly part and WT "Beware of the voice of strangers." Now those inside will be especially on the watch for any and all who they might percieve to be "different."

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I think they're nervous because alot of "disobediant" dubs have been "cruising" the internet and finding alot of interesting things out about the good ole borg. I'm just waiting to see what happens.

• jws
    jws

Back when I was in (about 15 years ago), they had regular "promotions" for old literature, stuff we hadn't studied or used in ages got offered to householders. I always thought of it as a way for them to clear out the old literature, even if they put a different spin on it. And old magazines were always used for leaving in laundrys and waiting rooms, or leaving at not-at-home doors.

So, maybe (if the stuff wasn't too old) it was just somebody trying to place their literature and counting time in her own way. Maybe she couldn't afford to keep buying donating for the latest literature and decided to use her old publications up before spending any more.

Now if you're seeing stuff that's 40 or 50+ years old, that's a different story.

• Farkel
    Farkel

jws,

: Maybe she couldn't afford to keep buying donating for the latest literature and decided to use her old publications up before spending any more.

That was also my first thought.

The doublethink in WatchtowerLand never ceases to amaze me. Here we have God's personally chosen channel of communication for all of mankind, and all other religious organizations and groups are "apostate." At the same time, stuff that is even a few years old or less which God's channel of communication once promoted as TRUTH is ALSO "apostate." Anything that was once promoted as truth becomes "apostate" as soon as that thing is changed. And when that thing (like the Superior Auhorities teachings) is changed BACK to what it was originally, the predecessor teaching is NOW "apostate" and the formerly "apostate" original teaching is now again TRUTH! Truly, "Truth(tm)" in WatchtowerLand is a constantly moving target.

DoubleThink at its finest.

Farkel

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

Do I have this right?? The "publishers" PAY for the magazines that they then have to take out and "place"?? So then if someone "donates" money for one of them, who gets that money (do I really need to ask...)?

• Scully
    Scully

Interesting that she referred to old WTS publications as "apostate literature".

Wouldn't that meant that it was "apostate literature" back then too??

Since they considered it as The Truth? back then, and it is "apostate literature", how can they be absolutely certain that the literature they are getting now isn't "apostate literature" also??

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit