Guns in church

by onacruse 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

Utah law dictates that concealed weapons are allowed in a church, unless the church has posted a written ban at the entrance, or has registered with the State as a "restricted zone."

US Constitutional issues obviously come into play here, and even opinions about self-defense in unknown situations. One person said: "What better invitation to a terrorist to attack a church than to let it be known far-and-wide that there are no weapons for self-defense in that church?"

Not an easy dilemna.

Craig

• Satanus
    Satanus

Doesn't the lord jesus protect his own?

S

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Doesn't the lord jesus protect his own?

The Lord helps those who help themselves.

• onacruse
    onacruse

And thusly you two point out exactly why this issue presents a dilemna.

• Ciara
    Ciara

I carry my pistol everywhere, unless specifically prohibited, including church. I don't believe that God expects me to be defenseless. Also, there are 4 cops in our church and they carry guns at all times(on and off duty). But, that being said, I don't think with all the instability about terrorism, that it's a good idea for the media to go announcing that you can tote a gun into certain places.

Ciara

• Robdar
    Robdar
    US Constitutional issues obviously come into play here,

Umm, I'm not following. Care to explain how US constitutional issues obviously come into play?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Umm, I'm not following. Care to explain how US constitutional issues obviously come into play?

I was wondering the same thing.

• heathen
    heathen

I might even go to church if I could take my gun . LOL Then maybe instead of feild service everybody goes to the gun range and learn about gun safety and how to hit the target .

The constitution probly comes into the picture because it says you have the right to bear arms . Some states require a permit . In texas you can carry a concealed weapon but they don't let you leave the gun in plain view . Who comes up with these laws????

• onacruse
    onacruse

DE and Robdar,

"The right to bear arms."

Consitutionally, where is there a limit? What territory, circumstance, or "house" is precluded from that "right"?

Ethically speaking, if you've obtained the appropriate permits from secular authorities to carry a concealed weapon, than on what basis can carrying such a weapon into a church be condemned?

In the Biblical perspective, why was it wrong for Peter to use a sword and cut off the ear of a man who accosted Jesus?

And would it be wrong for me to take a steak-knife out of my kitchen drawer and kill someone who was accosting Kate, or me?...or, perhaps, to use superior strength and break his neck with my bare hands?

If not wrong in my own home, then why wrong in a group of close friends and fellow believers?

• barry
    barry

I know of a muslim man here is Australia who carried a pistol into the mosque when he went there, on fridays I think. I thought It was barbaric.

Growing up in Australia we only use guns for hunting well thats how Ive been brought up and they are long arms. Barry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit