Why TYPE B prophecies make no sense to me

by Pole 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pole
    Pole

Let's say there are two types of prophecies :)

Type A: God says: everything's gonna be allright.

These are irrelevant to my point here.

Type B: God says: a certain man will commit a certain sin (on a certain date) and I will have to put him to death because he will choose to sin.

1) The latter type of prophecies presuppose that the future can be predicted.

2) Now, if the future is predictable then it's predestined. By "predestined" I mean that future events are facts already and so they can be known in advance. Even if, as the WTS teaches, God only sometimes chooses to take a look at what exactly the future holds for us, it doesn't change the fact that it's all there - just waitng for God to be revealed if he wishes to. It doesn't matter if he doesn't want to reveal the details because he thinks it would be unfair to know.

So how does the WTS explain this?

*** rs p. 141 par. 4 Fate ***

"Illustration: The owner of a radio can listen to the world news. But the fact that he can listen to a certain station does not mean that he does. He must first turn on the radio and then select the station. Likewise, Jehovah has the ability to foreknow events, but the Bible shows that he makes selective and discretionary use of that ability, with due regard for the free will with which he has endowed his human creation.?Compare Genesis 22:12; 18:20, 21."

Now, that's a lame excuse. It doesn't work at all for Bible "prophecies" of this sort:

"Ps. 41:9: ?The man at peace with me, in whom I trusted, who was eating my bread, has magnified his heel against me.?

If it was to mean that a certain friend of Jesus would betray him, as John explains:

"(John 13:18) I am not talking about all of YOU; I know the ones I have chosen. But it is in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled, ?He that used to feed on my bread has lifted up his heel against me.?"

Whether or not God did turn on his "radio" here, the thing is he could have known exactly who would betray Jesus if he had "tuned in" more precisely. "Selective and discretionary use" of a radio doesn't mean that if we don't turn it on, a certain programme will not be broadcast.

3) My conclusions:

a) If the future is predestined by God then life sucks. It's like in Islam or in some Christian churches which emphasize predestination - whatever you do, it doesn't matter.

b) If the future is predestined in the sense I've specified above and God doesn't know all of it, then life is even more miserable.

Hope it makes sense.

I would be interested in your opinions, especially those of you who consider themselves believers.

Cheers,

Pole

• JCanon
    JCanon

Very interesting, Pole. And good questions.

But I don't think it makes life suck. Why not?

Because sometimes knowing what is going to happen is "encouraging"!

For instance, knowing that there will be a milennium and a time of peace and prosperity and good health, helps us to endure.

Knowing some of the details of God's plans helps us to plan as well. Christ and the Bride Class, for instance, know they will be judges and priests during the millennium and afterwards, so they can prepare for that, but also after that that they will be angels in heaven with Christ.

Free moral agency: Now some people think if God tells you certain things in advance that it ruins freedom of choice. Now that may be, but it matters what God reveals. For instance, the Bible says that some people will live forever and be faithful and others will choose not to be faithful. As long as you don't know what group you're in, though, you have a "choice" to strive for the faithful group.

Another thing that God does, though, is blurs the facts so that certain things written in advance are not known until the event happens and then it is explained and we can see the power of God to see the future.

The other issue is that just because God has the ability to actually tell, by "prediction" what will occur doesn't mean it interferes with free choice. We do this all the time, only we are just not as good at it as God is.

For an example. There may be a Dating Game Show (no, not where you guess what year Jerusalem actually fell, 529BCE or 607BCE, but courtship type dating!). There's a woman who must choose between three bachelors. Now many people may not know this woman very well and they might not be able to predict who she will choose. But if you know her very well and you know, say, she believes that people's favorite colors are a good indicator of certain compatibility, then you could predict that she will choose someone who picks a certain color as their favorite. That doesn't interfere with her "choice" though. Now let's say you knew a little more. Let's say you knew that only one of the bachelors shared her favorite color and you knew which one. You could reasonably predict the outcome based upon not how much you only knew about the girl, but about the bachelors.

But there is another issue as well. It might make a difference if you told the girl in advance who she would be picking, which might sort of take the fun of her actually choosing, or if you withheld this information from her so that she made her own choice.

So I would say, yes, if you told someone what they might likely have done anyway ahead of time, that sort of takes away their choice, but that doesn't mean it's all bad.

For instance, I could tell you that the next time you go to Vegas you'll will a million dollars. Now I could keep that from you and let it be a surprise, or I could tell you now and you'll be excited until it happens. It might change your outlook. But will you really be that upset as long as you got the money? No. So sharing GOOD news about the future doesn't have a neccesarily ill effect. In a way, it's God's way of telling us, when having hard times, that "everything will be all right, just hang in there."

Having said that, with God knowing everything in advance, we have to philosophically conclude that there is an advantage of going through the "exercise" of what was "predicted." Simply knowing what will happen in advance isn't the same as actually letting it happen.

Thus let's say that God knew that Satan would rebel after he made him. Does that mean God created him to fail? Does that mean it was not worth it to allow the real events to play out?

So in summary, knowing certain things that will take place might help the outcome and take away some choice, perhaps strenghtening the resolve of some to endure. And withholding some information still allows us to feel we are making up our own minds.

A very good case in point is the prodigal son Messiah. That belief system. Had the WTS fully understood that Christ would appear in the black community as a black man in the flesh, and everybody understood this, and perhaps that he was supposed to sin and then return, do you think any black publishers would ever live out that life? Of course not. But that doesn't mean God didn't know in advance what would happen. By that person not being aware of the prophecy in advance or that it applied to him, he made the "choice" to leave God at one time and then come back. But it was all propheside right there in the Bible so that after the fact, you could see it was propheside and came true! Did it rob anyone of freedom of choice? It might have if they had known specifically in advance, but it didn't when they didn't know. But it is still to God's credit that it was prophesied in advance to show his power after it actually happened.

So yeah, maybe it's all written down in advance someplace and we're just following a script. But who cares if the part in the script you're playing is a good role?

Therefore, as long as God doesn't tell YOU SPECIFICALLY what you will do or choose, even though he knows in advance, then you still have freedom of choice! How so? Because like you said, if it's all been written down in advance and it will happen as God saw it anyway, then why not choose good rather than bad? You still can choose.

But for sure, you can't blame God for your choices, even though, you've already made them!!

Nice dicussion Pole.

I wish I could see in advance and know whether you made a choice to give me a million dollars!!! What do you think?

JC

• Pole
    Pole

JCanon,

Thanks for your reply. It helped me see that even the Christ can't answer my question "with the long sword of his mouth". OMG I'm smart! :)

:: For instance, knowing that there will be a milennium and a time of peace and prosperity and good health, helps us to endure.

You ignored my disclaimer here. These are prophecies of type A, which I think are fair and believable. God says: no matter what happens you can count on me. That's fine God, I love you for that. Enough said.

:: Because sometimes knowing what is going to happen is "encouraging"!

:: Knowing some of the details of God's plans helps us to plan as well. Christ and the Bride Class, for
    :: instance, know they will be judges and priests during the millennium and afterwards, so they can
    :: prepare for that, but also after that that they will be angels in heaven with Christ.

How did knowing that Judas would betray Christ help him plan well? Plan well what? His suicide? It may have helped Jesus but not Judas.

:: Now some people think if God tells you certain things in advance that it ruins freedom of choice.
    :: Now that may be, but it matters what God reveals.

Hello! Wake up here!

No, it doesn't matter what God reveals. My argument may be slightly complex, but I'm pretty sure you can get it if you give it a try. You missed my point completely. You basically rephrased the WTS argument: God has a radio, but he doesn't always turn it on, or he only receives a blurred message to make things look fair. I repeat: the fact that God doesn't turn on his big temporal radio doesn't mean that Judas' betrayal will not be broadcast.

:: For an example. There may be a Dating Game Show (no, not where you guess what year Jerusalem actually fell, 529BCE or 607BCE, but courtship type dating!).

This is funny.

:: There's a woman who must choose between three bachelors. Now many people may not know this woman very well and they might not be able to predict who she will choose. But if you know her very well and you know, say, she believes that people's favorite colors are a good indicator of certain compatibility, then you could predict that she will choose someone who picks a certain color as their favorite. That doesn't interfere with her "choice" though. Now let's say you knew a little more. Let's say you knew that only one of the bachelors shared her favorite color and you knew which one. You could reasonably predict the outcome based upon not how much you only knew about the girl, but about the bachelors. But there is another issue as well. It might make a difference if you told the girl in advance who she would be picking, which might sort of take the fun of her actually choosing, or if you withheld this information from her so that she made her own choice.

Again, it's irrelevant. How does this example apply to Judas? Could God have possibly known Judas' inclination to betray before he was born, if he wanted? If the answer is yes, then the conclusion is that the future is predestined. There is no escaping it. Know this: Whether God wants to know if he's gonna have to kill us or not is utterly irrelevant. I mean it may make God (and us too) feel like he's a really fair player, but still the future can potentially be discovered, so it's been all written down in advance.

:: So I would say, yes, if you told someone what they might likely have done anyway ahead of time, that sort of takes away their choice, but that doesn't mean it's all bad. For instance, I could tell you that the next time you go to Vegas you'll will a million dollars. Now I could keep that from you and let it be a surprise, or I could tell you now and you'll be excited until it happens. It might change your outlook. But will you really be that upset as long as you got the money? No. So sharing GOOD news about the future doesn't have a neccesarily ill effect. In a way, it's God's way of telling us, when having hard times, that "everything will be all right, just hang in there."

Again: You ignored my disclaimer: These are prophecies of type A.

:: Having said that, with God knowing everything in advance, we have to philosophically conclude that there is an advantage of going through the "exercise" of what was "predicted." Simply knowing what will happen in advance isn't the same as actually letting it happen.

You are right, it's not but it's irrelevant to my point. My question is: is the future predestined? I'm not asking who is responsible for it. I'm not blaming God.

:: Thus let's say that God knew that Satan would rebel after he made him. Does that mean it was not worth it to allow the real events to play out?

:: So in summary, knowing certain things that will take place might help the outcome and take away some choice, perhaps strenghtening the resolve of some to endure. And withholding some information still allows us to feel we are making up our own minds.

You phrased it well. It's playing, it's a game. And it's an unfair game if the result can potentially be known right from the onset, even if the smartest player (GOd in this case) doesn't wanna know.

:: A very good case in point is the prodigal son Messiah. That belief system. Had the WTS fully understood that Christ would appear in the black community as a black man in the flesh, and everybody understood this, and perhaps that he was supposed to sin and then return, do you think any black publishers would ever live out that life? Of course not. But that doesn't mean God didn't know in advance what would happen. By that person not being aware of the prophecy in advance or that it applied to him, he made the "choice" to leave God at one time and then come back. But it was all propheside right there in the Bible so that after the fact, you could see it was propheside and came true! Did it rob anyone of freedom of choice? It might have if they had known specifically in advance, but it didn't when they didn't know. But it is still to God's credit that it was prophesied in advance to show his power after it actually happened.

This is part of your agenda, so please use another example. And it would count as a prophecy of Type A, if it were true.

:: So yeah, maybe it's all written down in advance someplace and we're just following a script. But who cares if the part in the script you're playing is a good role?

Well, I do. You mean I shouldn't care if I play Judas or Jesus?

:: Therefore, as long as God doesn't tell YOU SPECIFICALLY what you will do or choose, even though he knows in advance, then you still have freedom of choice! How so? Because like you said, if it's all been written down in advance and it will happen as God saw it anyway, then why not choose good rather than bad? You still can choose.

So you are now denying some things you have said so far, but anyway, this argument is almost convincing, or shuold I say very very sophistcated, but basically untrue. But your fallacy here is called "time-telescoping" (and this is not a reference to what I think is your disorder, so no offence). How so?

You say: it's possible that we are are dramatis personae acting according to a certain script. Still the choices a person makes at any given time are this person's choices. What you fail to account for is how these can be this person's choices if they can be known from the script before you hire this preson as an actor.

And the argument:

:: if it's all been written down in advance and it will happen as God saw it anyway, then why not choose good rather than bad? You still can choose.

is based on blind faith. It's based on Islam-like predestination. Trust God even if everything was written down in advance, because you don't know what exactly was written down with regard to you. It's not your idea, you borrowed it.

:: But for sure, you can't blame God for your choices, even though, you've already made them!!

I'm not blaming him I just think if I want to believe him, I have to stick to prophecies of type A. Prophecies of type B are just a poor, badly explored philosophical concept, as I have shown. I realize you have your agenda, but as with any agenda you just cease to be critical at some point.

Well, you have evidence from "other sources", so no wonder.

It was nice to hear from you though, because you are probably the best defender of type B prophecies on this forum, and you failed to defend them.

:: I wish I could see in advance and know whether you made a choice to give me a million dollars!!! What do you think?

1) I make $ 300 a month as an academic teacher.
    2) Even if I won in a lottery, and you asked me for money, we'd have to sign a contract. I give you money as long as you get proper medical treatment. What do you think? :)

Well I guess you would interpret it as being tempted by Satan himself.

Pole

• JCanon
    JCanon
    How did knowing that Judas would betray Christ help him plan well? Plan well what? His suicide? It may have helped Jesus but not Judas.

I said knowing the "good things" helped. Not knowing the bad things allowed freedom of choice.

No, it doesn't matter what God reveals. My argument may be slightly complex, but I'm pretty sure you can get it if you give it a try. You missed my point completely. You basically rephrased the WTS argument: God has a radio, but he doesn't always turn it on, or he only receives a blurred message to make things look fair. I repeat: the fact that God doesn't turn on his big temporal radio doesn't mean that Judas' betrayal will not be broadcast.

My point was that if God prophesied something about someone and they didn't realize it was about them until after the fact, then it did not affect their freedom of choice! Judas didn't know he would be the one who would betray Jesus! He realized that after the fact.

But while we're on this. Jesus told Peter the night he was arrested that Peter would deny him six times; three times before a cock crowed once and three more times before a cock could crow twice. It probably wasn't told to him that way (i.e. Jeus probably told him he would betray him three times before the cock crowed that night and then Peter insisted that would not be true then he said, in fact another three times before a cock crowed twice). At any rate, Peter heard about his own prophecy of what would happen and refused to believe it. But it happened anyway. All the while, he was acting out his own volition. So, yes, it is complex. So in a way, I could compare Judas to Peter. If Jesus had told him he would betray him, and Judas didn't understand that and refused to believe it, it would have turned out the same as with Peter. But was God forcing his hand to fulfill a prophecy, or was God simply telling in advance what would happen?

Again, it's irrelevant. How does this example apply to Judas? Could God have possibly known Judas' inclination to betray before he was born, if he wanted? If the answer is yes, then the conclusion is that the future is predestined.

This is interesting, but the answer is no. You make a good point though. I think about Jacob and Esau. God manipulated things with Esau and Jacob from the womb! So God saw in the womb who he liked and in line with that prophesied about how Jacob would be chosen over Esau. So was Esau doomed from the beginning by God, or could God see in the future and know what Esau was going to be like "by his own choice" and decided to choose Jacob instead? God manipulates affairs for sure, but I think also is able to see the future, simply because he has that great power.

You say it's "predestined" but I don't. I see it as throwing the dice at a craps game in Vegas. You can "predict" that the number that will come up will be between 1 and 12. That's easy for us. Does that affect the odds? Is that "predestination"?

There is no escaping it. Know this: Whether God wants to know if he's gonna have to kill us or not is utterly irrelevant. I mean it may make God (and us too) feel like he's a really fair player, but still the future can potentially be discovered, so it's been all written down in advance.

I understand what you're saying, and maybe it is a sense of technical "predestination", but it includes "free will". What I'm saying is just because God sees in the future what YOUR CHOICES are doesn't mean he created those choices for you. He has the power to let you make your own choices but also to see what choices you make in the future.

You are right, it's not but it's irrelevant to my point. My question is: is the future predestined? I'm not asking who is responsible for it. I'm not blaming God.

You know, now that you have me cornered on this, I would have to agree with you, in principle, that, yes, it is.

So for the sake of argument, let's say that everything is basically pre-seen by God. Where does that leave us? It leaves us with the choice as to whether we will live under God's arrangement or die. Just because God sees what you will do and even if he tells you what you will do in the future, like Jesus told Peter he would deny him six times, doesn't mean your final outcome is something that God has chosen for you. So perhaps that's the issue of concern.

Which brings up the issue of why bother living or doing anything if it's all predestined anyway? The answer being, it's fun to be alive and to be in love. Is love and laughter worth all the pain and suffering? Apparently God thinks so. Like I said. If somebody told me I was going to win a million...uh...ten million dollars (a $$ million ain't what it used to be, duhhhh!) and I'd be young forever, then yeah, I'm ready to fullfill that "predestination!"

I don't want to be coy, here, but, I sort of won the JACKPOT by ending up as the Messiah, so I sort am glad about it and so predestination works for me since there are many good things about to happen for me, thanks to God's love. But I'm not alone in this. So if it ends up being a "predestined" script that we are all following, then I'm kinda happy I've got a leading role on the right side. So it works for me.

You phrased it well. It's playing, it's a game. And it's an unfair game if the result can potentially be known right from the onset, even if the smartest player (GOd in this case) doesn't wanna know.

Yes, more like a "play" or in some ways a "court room drama". But whether it's "unfair" I don't agree with. And I also didn't say that God "doesn't wanna know". That's JW doctrine which I don't agree with them on. I have a different take on that.

But I've expoused this before. After looking at everything and knowing a little of what heaven is like, it seems clear to me that God created the physical universe to get rid of Satan who was polluting the heavens. Why? Because heaven, in a way, is much like the "fairies" in the Disney classi "Fantasia". Little fairies flitting about in a wondrous world of freedom, with very little rules, and lots of beauty. There was no "sin" and no penalty for sin. There were no real laws to break that carried the penalty of death. Even the "battle in heaven" was a courtroom drama. There were no weapons, it was debate on the issues. But when God created the physical universe where "actions" were possible, not just thoughts. Where "death" was possible and penalties for disobedience, it raised the standard in God's worship. It required more to prove your love for him. But it also provided a "way out" for Satan. Don't forget that Satan got the death penalty as well for playing a part in the Garden of Eden, that test was not just for Adam and Eve, but for all the angels and Satan as well! Through that penalty of death for eating of the tree, God could "legally" have Satan removed and killed in the lake of fire. But it was Satan's choice.

God gave Satan a test that he could not win successfully because he was too corrupt. But was God wrong in setting this up so that Satan could rightfully be removed? That's a "moral issue" debate.

My position is no. No more than we consider it wrong for a drug task force to set up a "sting operation" of drug dealers, which involves catching them red handed breaking the law. Now some might object by saying they would not have broken the law had they not had the opportunity to buy drugs from a government agent; on the other hand, a law-abiding person wouldn't have been tempted with dealing drugs. So it was only a trap for someone bad, not for someone good.

But in that way, and a point to appreciate about God, he is manipulative. He doesn't just let you get away with certain acts of disrespect. For instance after looking over God and surmising that you'd rather not live forever in the world he had planned after all, "Thanks, but no thanks, I respectfully decline." You imagine that's it. But it won't be. Judgment Day is about that. All those people who decided "it didn't matter" and decided to live the "good life" and murder and kill and do whatever they wanted, will come back and see what the "innocent people get" before they met their eternal death. They will not have died without knowing they made a huge mistake or lost out on FOREVER! They won't die in peace, but will be in philosophical "torment" for ever. As they should be.

You say: it's possible that we are are dramatis personae acting according to a certain script. Still the choices a person makes at any given time are this person's choices. What you fail to account for is how these can be this person's choices if they can be known from the script before you hire this preson as an actor.

I didn't say that. What I'm saying is that whether or not God can tell the future, it can be done that still allows choice. In other words, God made all "perfect" creatures and gave them freedom of choice. Then he looked into the future to see what CHOICES they made and then decided to write down what some of those choices were. They still were CHOICES.

But this is academic. I figured God knew right along that HAPPINESS, true HAPPINESS is enhanced or perhaps only possible if it is a "willing" process. And if so, there has to be freedom of choice. That carries with it the risk of somone choosing the wrong things. So I basically thought God had a plan for his universe and the world, tht eventuality being say that 20 billion beings would be deliriously happy throughout eternity, by their own choice. But in oder to fill that 20 billion freedom choice quota, he knew all along that a certain percentage would choose not to be obedient or whatever. So let's say the odds were always that out of any given number of people with free choice, given what they had to choose from, a paradise earth, peace, all that, that one third would not go for it, but two thirds would. So God's CHOICE was, was it worth the happiness of the good two thirds to sacrifice that bad one third? God decided, YES, it's worth it.

So if he knew going in a third would corrupt but two thirds would come through the "fire", it was just a matter of deciding if it was worth it.

I can live with that much "predestination".

On the other hand, perhaps there is a built-in RANDOM FACTOR that's part of creation that God participates in to control the "predestination" aspect of it.

For instance, lets say God has so many marbles which represent possible realities. And he throws them out like dice. When they settle in place, he can then see well into the future of what would be with this combination of things. Maybe he threw out the marbles and only got about a 25% return with one combination, maybe a 50% return with another. But then he noted that one combination perfectly balanced predestination and choice and everything and that this certain "random" combination paid back 66%, which he considered a good percentage that he could live with and so he went with that!

So yeah, it's all predestined once God decided to go along with that hand, but it still was a "random" hand. He just kept throwing out combinations until he got what he wanted and went with that!

Sure we all feel sorry for Satan in this case, but it was either that or non-existence ever!

The other thing that you have to factor in, though, is ROBOTICS! Animals are really robots. Robots are preprogramed and they follow certain patterns of behavior. Some are "smart" and can make choices within a certain prescribed range. So God could have left the entire world simply filled with animals. I mean, does the world really need humans to subsist? No! Lots of places totally devoid of humans are doing quite well, like the bottom of the Pacific! So how about that for PREDESTINATION? Yup! If you keep watering this jungle it's going to keep on growing! Those monkeys and giraffs are going to keep on having kids! Is that all?

So in a way, since God could predestine everything if he wanted and make everything the way he wants like we can do with robots, it seems that he values "choice" by giving that to the angels and man, and in that way, mankind and the angels, though somewhat predestined since God can see into the future, are still less predestined than if the universe only contained life at the level of animals. Or much less plants!

So no matter what, the END RESULT is wondrous!

So I suppose, when you think of Satan and Judas, perhaps we should consider them as the "refuse" God was willing to allow to develop in order to have persons aspire to nobility. They weren't "necessary" for the happiness of others, but they were the sacrifice for this random hand that God decided to play out.

Having said that, it must be incredibly fun being GOD!!!

I'm not blaming him I just think if I want to believe him, I have to stick to prophecies of type A. Prophecies of type B are just a poor, badly explored philosophical concept, as I have shown. I realize you have your agenda, but as with any agenda you just cease to be critical at some point.

You know. I'm glad you brought this up. Because ultimately, it doesn't bother me if God knows everything that will happen in precise detail.

One question is, though, does he know BEFORE he creates something what will happen? Technically, that's IMPOSSIBLE! Because you can't see into the future of something that never happens. So maybe the FUTURE is connected to the physical entity presence. So that only AFTER God, say created Satan, could he see into the future what choices Satan would make. It doesn't become Future until something happens.

It is a game! A wonderful game called CREATION!

So let's just say that God knew in advance that Satan would rebel against him if he created him under the circumstances where Jesus was his chief son and the other angels were less beautiful than he was. Was it wrong for God to create Satan? Was it worth it? Did Satan have a "choice" in the matter?

Well guess what? That was a key point in the "war in heaven" which I witnessed and was party to! Satan was basically giving your argument, that he had been created in this manner which left him little room for the choices he made. To this, there was a non-contest, generally. So Satan was excused of that claim, but the judgment was insistent upon his death because he murdered billions of mankind.

In other words, poor Satan, made beautiful in a world that was making men the center of the universe, what is a beautiful person to do but feel like life wasn't worth living. That's understandable, subjectively, perhaps. So Satan was miserable, didn't think things were fair, what choices did he have. It life was that unbearable, he could have committed suicide. Which, indeed, he decided to do. But that wasn't enough. Because he was bitter, he decided to murder lots of other people as well, so he was rightly condemned. Killing mankind was outside of the scope of his argument.

How that worked out, therefore, as far as life goes, is that what Jesus said. "You must love God with your whole being and soul and spirit." And if you LOVE God, you will be willing to die for him, just as you'd lay your own life down for your spouse or your child if the situation required it, or your country for that matter. But if you don't love God enough, and in fact, you HATE him, then you will want to kill what is dear to him. It's not enough simply to refuse to participate. You know? You're unhappy with you like and want to end it. That's unfortunate, but your choice. You decide you want to kill 30 or 40 innocent people as part of your statement -- no, that's unacceptable, sorry.

It was nice to hear from you though, because you are probably the best defender of type B prophecies on this forum, and you failed to defend them.

Maybe I hadn't thought of them enough and maybe they are not defensible. Maybe they don't need defending. But you have made me think about these things and I thank you for that.

1) I make $ 300 a month as an academic teacher.
    2) Even if I won in a lottery, and you asked me for money, we'd have to sign a contract. I give you money as long as you get proper medical treatment. What do you think? :)

That would be a good plan, but I think there's a law against "cruelty to psychologists" that would make that contract invalid!!! Tee Hee!

Reminds me of a joke though. One you've probably heard. But there was this guy in the insane asylum claiming he was Jesus to everybody. Then someone asked him how he knew he was Jesus. He told them that God told him so. He was asked why he thought God had told him that, to which he replied, "Beats me? Ask him yourself, he's right there in the corner in the blue pajamas."

The real joke had some punchline where the other inmate admitted that "I'm God!" but I forgot the joke. Maybe someone else can tell it.

But thank you for this discussion. It made me think. But what it makes me reflect on is how much God loves me (Michael/Jesus). It's clear it was all done for ME. My ultimate happiness and the end result. Even choosing the prodigal son "transmigration" to become a component of the Messiah as part of his whole character was carefully thought out, since Christ, being the chief son, being perfect and glorious was not dependent upon God, though he loved him and was obedient. That's not "dependent". But the prodigal son had a "dependent" factor involved. Like someone with many sins will be far more grateful for a second chance than those who had not sinned as much. So in this way, God could bring Christ closer to himself and Christ gains a perspective he could not have before, what it's like to be an ordinary man and how wonderful God's forgiveness is. So it's wondrous. He's such a loving God. Such an incredible God.

What we will have is God will have me, his son, and I will have the faithful chosen ones, the "gems of the earth" who I hold tightly in my hand and Satan cannot get them. He will kill many, but not these. So we are content with what we could salvage from everything. It's up to me to salvage the most I can since it will be mine. And having known sin and been forgiven, I can be very patient and understanding, so I'm the best hope for mankind in general. I won't get into it, but obviously, being black I won't look down on you if you're black like so many find it easy to do. If you're gay, I will still see you for a person. Even if you're a drag queen, I see you for the inner person because I've been there. I have come as a physician for the sick, not those who are well.

Thanks! I feel more "messianic" than ever now.

• Pole
    Pole

JC,

:: I won't get into it, but obviously, being black I won't look down on you if you're black like so many
    find it easy to do.

1) I'm white & blonde but not racist at all. Perhaps I overemphasized your being black in a few posts - sorry for that.

:: If you're gay, I will still see you for a person.

2) I'm not gay, but I don't think being gay is morally wrong, even though the bible suggests it is. I have a few friends who are gay and at least one of them is an example for me in terms of his moral values.

:: Even if you're a drag queen

3) The one moral criterion I truly respect is that of harm. All other morality is relative for me. Is harm done when somebody is a drag queen? No. So, let it be.

:: Thanks! I feel more "messianic" than ever now.

4) That wasn't my intention really, but then, I guess it doesn't take much to make you feel more messianic, does it? And you would probably say that's how God uses "non-believers". I mean if god arranges people to bow in front of you...

As for the rest of your post, I'll need time to read it. Replies kind of grow exponentially. If I find anything worth replying I will. For now I've noticed you have used some arguments of this sort:

:: Well guess what? That was a key point in the "war in heaven" which I witnessed and was party to! Satan was basically giving your argument, that he had been created in this manner which left him little room for the choices he made. To this, there was a non-contest, generally. So Satan was excused of that claim, but the judgment was insistent upon his death because he murdered billions of mankind.

You witnessed the war in heaven, and you heard Satan using my arguments, so you know better. Well, I have to take your word for it. No comments on this point.

And I've noticed you tend to mock my English every now and then. I only started learning English when I an adult so you kind of have a natural advantage, not a messianic one. I'm not asking for mercy though. Not in this respect. Maybe when you come to judge me :(.

Pole

• kes152
    kes152

Greetings Pole,

May you have the GREATEST of peace. I would like the opportunity to share with you what was given to me, if you will permit me.

This is how the Spirit has told it to me:

"The Father knows all things. He is the creator of all things that have been created and all those whom he has given life and breath, he loves. He has known all of them even from before birth. He is the One who from the beginning has already known the finale. The Father when he made all creation has given to all creation the freedom to choose. They may choose to serve what is good or choose to serve what is bad. The Father knew, from BEFORE they were born, "who" would choose what is good and who would choose what is bad. The Father did not force them to choose. The Father gave all his creatures the freedom to choose and knowing his creatures had the freedom to choose what they "wanted," he knew which ones would choose what is good and which ones would choose what is bad. He did not predestined the wicked ones to be wicked. He knew beforehand that they would want to be wicked. They chose for themselves and God knew they would before they were born. God also knew which ones who be misled from them and which ones would come BACK to him. Those who belong to him because they "want" to belong to him, have been chosen to belong to him. Those who do not want anything to do with him and wish to always remain that way even to the end, will remain that way. God does not force ANYONE to come to him. He comes to those who "want" him to come to them. And he knew from before they were born, which ones would call to him and which ones would not."

Many religions teach that everything is predestined and therefore it doesn't matter what you do because God has dictated what will happen to you in life. This is not the case. God has not made the wicked ones wicked, but he has called the righteous ones 'righteous.' God knows what each ones wants and what each one will want from BEFORE they are even born. He knows creation so well that by looking at them he knows after giving them free will... what they will use that free will to do. And he knows what they will ultimately do something good or something bad. All things he does is for the benefit of the sheep. Those who want what is good he continues to call out to them and show them what is good. Those who want what is bad, "another" comes to them and brings badness upon them.

Peace be with you.

Aaron

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

I brought up this issue to some elders just prior to my departure around 1990...

it occurred to me that if Jehovah was willfully ignorant of the future, but COULD know it if he chose to, that implied that it was there to know and this fact would not change whether he saw it or not....

JW reasoning was flawed, they were correctly pointing out that the bible god showed himself to be ignorant at times, but they did not remove the fact that hidden behind this ignorance they still believed the future already existed in someway that could be known.

if there is true randomness invovled in the universe, it is impossible for anyone even a god to know things after a while...we can guess pretty well for a while but there are always things around corners invisible to us...and randomness would be one of those corners.

if there is NO randomness at all, the universe would still be unpredictable after a while because of something called the sampling problem... you cannot take any continuous motions and get an infinite sample... if your sample is 1 chunck per second and you miss 9, then you have a 90% loss of data....if your sample is 1,000,000 chunks per second, and you only miss 1, your noise is very much reduced but exponetial increase in that small error will soon make the noise too great to see past here too.... its like digital music, only a really well trained ear can hear the difference between it and analogue but it can still be heard, there is a loss of data.

as to freewill

if your actions are caused, are they free?

if uncaused are they willed?

• Pole
    Pole

kes152,

Thank's for your response. It's too Calvinistfor me, but if you have enough faith, you aren't troubled by those issues.

zen nudist,

:: JW reasoning was flawed, they were correctly pointing out that the bible god showed himself to be ignorant at times, but they did not remove the fact that hidden behind this ignorance they still believed the future already existed in someway that could be known.

This is exactly my point here. Thank you for putting it so succinctly.

:: if there is NO randomness at all, the universe would still be unpredictable after a while because of something called the sampling problem... you cannot take any continuous motions and get an infinite sample... if your sample is 1 chunck per second and you miss 9, then you have a 90% loss of data....if your sample is 1,000,000 chunks per second, and you only miss 1, your noise is very much reduced but exponetial increase in that small error will soon make the noise too great to see past here too.... its like digital music, only a really well trained ear can hear the difference between it and analogue but it can still be heard, there is a loss of data.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you mean here is "a chaotic-deterministic system". One definition of chaotic systems goes like this "chaotic systems are ones in which an arbitrarily small difference in the initial conditions can produce arbitrarily large differences in later states."

The classic example is that of a supposedly deterministic atmosphere. In such an atmosphere the flapping of a butterfly at one point may condition the occurring of a storm at a later stage.

However, even if the system is deterministic in principle, it's unpredictable in practice, because however precise the measurement of the possible causes you use, there can always be some minute factors which escape your analysis, but which may amount to something really decisive.

For instance, you may be able to track every single butterfly in the atmosphere, but you can't track all the mosquitos. Once you factor in mosquitos, you may disregard bacteria, and so on and so forth. So even if the atmosphere is deterministic, it's still unpredictable.

However, this is physics, while the biblical issue I raised here belongs to the domain of metaphysics. In other words, whatever method God uses to predict the future, be it some form of absolute deterministic cause-effect analysis, or anything else (magic???) the Bible makes it clear that he can predict people's future moral choices hundreds of years in advance (like in the case of Judas).

So I guess if you want o preserve your faith in a fair God, you'd have to assume that God cannot know the future in the way the Bible suggests. I mean, you could assume for example, that God intervenes if you are genetically predestined to sin, and help you avoid condemnation, but we know this is not always the case......

:: if your actions are caused, are they free?

:: if uncaused are they willed?

Very good questions again, although they're are not biblical ones. I guess they belong to something you could call "the philosophy of biology". Is the mental conditioned by the physical, or is it the other way round?

I personally simplify things to make my life easier . I like to think that I have a certain degree of freedom to decide how to respond to certain situations. If my life is threatened I can do anything possible to save it, or I can give it up, for example for some altruistic reasons (to save a friend, etc). This is not the case with lower-order animals however. So they don't have that much of a free will.

The reasons why I said these are not biblical considerations any more is because I think that if a given biblical issue cannot be grasped "by even the lowliest farmer", then it's not a biblical issue any longer :).

Well, it's fun discussing such issues anyway, even if they get philosophical. Thank you for your response.

Pole

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    I personally simplify things to make my life easier . I like to think that I have a certain degree of freedom to decide how to respond to certain situations. If my life is threatened I can do anything possible to save it, or I can give it up, for example for some altruistic reasons (to save a friend, etc). This is not the case with lower-order animals however. So they don't have that much of a free will.

here is what I see.... I nor anyone I know or can conceive of can alter a single step which has brought us all to any present moment you happen to find yourself in.... thus I am always EXACTLY where I find myself and have NO choice in that.... because I am ignorant of what my next move will be often until I make it, I am deluded by my own ignorance to think I have a measure of freedom... the future, I find is not a window to a real place, but a mirror to a fantasy realm based on my experiences and guesswork... the future can be changed because it is only an unstable idea, not a real place.

• Pole
    Pole

thus I am always EXACTLY where I find myself and have NO choice in that.... because I am ignorant of what my next move will be often until I make it, I am deluded by my own ignorance to think I have a measure of freedom... the future, I find is not a window to a real place, but a mirror to a fantasy realm based on my experiences and guesswork... the future can be changed because it is only an unstable idea, not a real place.

I guess the keyword here is the adverb "often". Sometimes you guess correctly, and you know you've done what you planned. For instance, you go to work because you expect to be paid. If you don't go to work then you don't necessarily expect to be paid. So you depend on the metaphysics of cause-and-effect no matter how much you hate it. At least when it comes to making a living...

Philosphically speaking though, you seem to be pretty soliptic at least in your understanding of temporal-causal issues.... Interestingly, Bertrand Russell (the philosopher) reported that he once met a women who was utterly soliptic and she was surprised that not so many other "intelligent" people were soliptic too.

Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit