Why was the Kingdom Interlinear Translation published?

by VM44 37 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

Why did the Watchtower publish the KIT? (Kingdom Interlinear Translation). Both in 1969 and 1985 they came out with editions of this greek language translation of the scriptures. But really no JW opens it up to read it, let alone use it! Essentially none of them know how to read the greek language or have any interest in reading the scriptures in the original language. So why publish it at all? --VM44

• VM44
    VM44

....AND, big point!...The Watchtower Society certainly does not want people to read the Bible in the original languages! so why publish it? unless they know the JWs are not going to do anything with it! --VM44

• Justin
    Justin

Previously to the KIT, the Society had used an older interlinear translation, The Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson. Once they had their New World Translation, they decided to use that as the basis for their own interlinear. So I think, similar to their attitude toward Bible dictionaries, "We've got our own now - you don't need to use anyone else's." But, like you say, the average JW has no use for any interlinear translation.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My own opinion is that for the R&F who would buy it but not really read it, the book would reinforce the image cultivated by Fred Franz that the WTS is led by Bible "scholars". The book is also possibly targeted outside the Witnesses as a cheap interlinear that might be positively reviewed in some journal that could then be quoted in the Watchtower to further bolster their image as "scholarly".

• RR
    RR

Hey for that matter why do they publish the Diaglott? The only ones that use it are the Bible Students and Christadelphians. They also publish the Byington translation, the King James and American Standard Version. None of these are used by the Society. They continually stress the NWT.

RR

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Owning the KIT is more of a status symbol than a tool. I remember after I got one everyone just wanted to see it like an animal at the zoo. Neither I nor anyone actually used it.... other than to gain JW Brownie Points.

• RR
    RR

If it so great, why haven't they implemented it on their CDRom?

RR

• onacruse
    onacruse

Leolaia:

My own opinion is that for the R&F who would buy it but not really read it, the book would reinforce the image cultivated by Fred Franz that the WTS is led by Bible "scholars".

I second that opinion. My proclivity to study foreign languages led me to incorporate various points about the Greek into my Watchtower and Book study comments: I was told to knock it off. I said: "Why? This comes straight from the Interlinear and Aid book! It isn't like I'm dragging 'worldly' sources into the discussion." Their response: "If the Society thought it was necessary to bring out those points, they would have done so...stick to what's in the magazine."

In 40 years, I did meet a few (though very few) JWs who actually used the Interlinear, and I've met a few more since coming to this db...oddly enough, many of them have left the organization, or have been extremely marginalized; too much thinking ain't a good thing if ya wanna be a healthy JW.

• Deleted
    Deleted

Oh dear. I have an O level in Greek, so I actually did read mine. It was often something to do during those boring meetings - I actually enjoyed it. One of the early nails in my JW coffin was when I noticed that the greek for "heaven" was "ooranos" (Uranus). I remember thinking that the Bible writers couldn't have cared much about mixing pagan culture with christianity, unlike the nit-pickyness of the dubs. Funny what you remember.

• TD
    TD

The JW organization has done several things that in retrospect seem very out of character. The JW Bible dictionary, Aid To Bible Understanding (Now Insight On The Scriptures) is one example. Another is the incorporation of a large chunk of their literature on a CD with search capabilities.

I remember when the KITT 69 was released. This was well before the massive dumbing down of their organization. Learning Koine Greek was presented as a worthwhile endeavor at the time. Some Witnesses tried and failed, but a few actually did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit