Official - There are 6 million Bible Studies - but where are they?

by truthseeker 20 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This was mentioned at the service meeting.

But, it should be worrying to the Society, not as wonderful as it may sound. The number getting baptized each year is shrinking rapidly.

At one time, they boasted of baptizing 1000 dubs a day which equals to 365,000 dubs. This was back in 1997.

At the DC this year, it was 5,000 a week. Still sounds a lot right? Not - 5,000 a week equals 265,000 a year. Baptisms are down by a third in just 7 years.

The Knowledge Book and Require Borchure are the prime instruments of recruiting potential dubs - when the Knowledge book was released in 1995, it was suggested that this should be studies in 6 months as the end was so near.

This book replaced the You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth, which was published in 1982.

Since there are now 6 million Bible Studies, and only a fraction of that number being baptized, it means

a) The Witnesses are just not convinving enough that they have the truth

b) The persons learning the truth (TM) are not motivated to go on the dubs religious treadmill

c) Most of the studies are simply conducted with children of JW parents

d) Witnesses are lying about the number of studies they have

e) Witnesses are counting every breathing thing in the room they are having the study

It must be embarassing for the Society - they blow their own trumpet "We have 6 million Bible Studies" yet the occasionally publish articles in the Watchtower about "why persons do not commit to baptism after they learn the truth."

The Watchtower speaks with a forked tongue - on the one hand they want praise and flattery. Look at us, we're the fastest growing religion.

Then they start a six parter in the Kingdom Ministry (beginning with the July issue) - "What is a Bible Study?" duh - as if anyone there didn't actually no the answer to that one after being encouraged (TM) to pray to Jehovah for a study.

Oh, and if you call on someone for a third time and talk about the truth (TM) and the Bible(TM) or use a Bible based publication (TM) then you can count it as a Bible study.

Seriously though - 6 million Bible studies - that is equal to almost the entire number of publishers. Yet, how many studies do you see come to the Kingdom Hall? Where are all these Bible studies?

Do you think the number of Bible studies will be seen as more an exmaple of Jehovah blessing the Organization(TM) then the number getting baptized?

• shamus
    shamus

For starters...

Many 'bible studies' are 'doorstep' without the householders knowledge. If you return weekly, and even go over a few paragraphs in a brochure, you're a bible study.

Pity the householder was not told about it.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I always tried to do this three times in a row but never succeeded.
    (You could not report a BS before you return three times.)
    It is hard to start a BS with a householder even without telling him.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Many of these bible studies are witness parents reading a few paragraphs to their kids from one of the publications and then counting it as a bible study, but you can only count 4 hours a month with your family--more important to get out door to door and sell books. You can count as many hours as you want studying with a stranger, but the suggested time with your family is only 1 hour per week--interesting, huh?

The majority of the bible studies in my area were with older people who were half senile (with all due respect--I did like many of these older ones). Many of them especially older women were lonesome and just wanted someone to talk to and I think this is probably the best service I ever did in service was to visit with these lonesome ones.

There are many doorstep studies--people who don't know they are even counted as a study. During on of the last CO visits, when I was still attending, he carefully instucted us of how to conduct a study without ever calling it a study, so the people were unaware that they were actually studying.

I also recall many who had studies with emotionally/mentally disturbed ones. Some of them just sat in a daze while we rattled on with our agenda. You could tell they weren't all there, but hey it was it was something to write down on the time card, right?

• shamus
    shamus
    There are many doorstep studies--people who don't know they are even counted as a study. During on of the last CO visits, when I was still attending, he carefully instucted us of how to conduct a study without ever calling it a study, so the people were unaware that they were actually studying.

Just to prop the numbers up. They have been doing this for years.

If the numbers were not fictional, it would be a whole lot less.

• JH
    JH

A bible study should be exactly that and nothing less. Coming back a second or third time to say a few words at the door should not be considered a bible study.

I was direct and asked the person if they wanted a free bible study. I'm sure that many being considered as bible studies would say no if asked directly if they want a bible study.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I never heard of doorstep bible studies when I was in the org (till '92). Is this something new? Imagine all the Bible studies I could've had if only I had followed up on those RVs... *blech*

• Confucious
    Confucious

Me and my wife were pioneers for 8ish years.

And between us both, we brought 8 people or so into the truth (tm).

We did have a lot of legit bible studies.

At one time we had about 5 or 6 each... about what you would need between us both to bring in one person a year into the truth (tm).

I'm sure we were the exeption.

But at the same time. A lot of our studies were like "Low End" people.

And when I say that, I say that respectfully, because I came into the "truth" from the world so to speak.

Many of our studies were like alcoholics or living in the projects and stuff like that.

But I have to say, that the people that did come into the truth were pretty sharp people.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

I used to help with the count at meetings. I was told to count every man, woman, child and baby.

• Ciara
    Ciara
    But, it should be worrying to the Society, not as wonderful as it may sound. The number getting baptized each year is shrinking rapidly.

All this means to them is that armageddon is closer.

Ciara

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit