Water softner ?????

by Thunder Rider 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Any one have a water softening system in their home? I just installed one here and am not sure what to expect as far as operation is concerned. It has been going on and off for an hour now.

Thunder of the clueless plumber class.

• mrbarthoss
    mrbarthoss

heya TR.........I have never had any trouble with the systems I have had over the years. But I wanted to recommend a website that I go to a great deal when it comes to home repair, etc. that I hope will be of some help. www.diy.com excellent tutorials, Q&A, et al........ "Good luck!" -Bart

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

We've had a Kinetico for 18 months and absolutely love it. It probably took a good 10 days for the water to feel really soft in the shower. (Takes a while for you to cycle through all the water in the hot water heater.)

Most water softeners regenerate at night at a specific time, I believe. Our Kinetico has two tanks and regenerates whenever needed. When one tank is empty it starts to regenerate it and switches to the second tank -- we never run out of soft water this way.

When it's regenerating it does make some noise, but it's in the garage so we don't hear it from inside the house.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Well it finally shut up and all seems fine. I had to install it in a closet.
    DRW, what type of salt do you use in yours?

Bart, I checked the DIY site but it didn't have a whole lot to say, though I admit I didn't spend a lot of time navigating the site.

Thunder

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I *can* tell you this: if it ever feels like the water is hard again (soap not lathering, bubbles in tub dying out too early, dishes in dishwasher not getting clean, spots, etc.) and there is still salt in the tank: take the handle of the broomstick and gently poke and prod into the salt. Sometimes it gets hardened in there and needs to be broken down. We just got a new softener about six months ago, and it sure makes life easier. We use the Morton's pellets with rust prevention.

Country Girl

• Mutz
    Mutz

Just don't drink the softened water.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

We've had a water softener for 20 years and I love it. Our kitchen cold water tap is unsoftened water, so we use that water for drinking most of the time. You need much less laundry and dish soap. Be careful with your dishwasher , and use way less (try half what you used to use) detergent there or your glasses will etch really fast.

I really notice how how the softer water is easier on all the tubs/showers.toilets. Because you never have to scrub off hard water stains, everything stays looking newer for a much longer time.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    DRW, what type of salt do you use in yours?

We just use Morton's salt pellets. Bags of it are only about $4 at Costco. Our softener uses a bag every 6 weeks or so.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Just don't drink the softened water.

Depends on the unit. The Kinetico barely adds any sodium to the water at all. It's safe enough to use on plants, in freshwater fish tanks, or to drink.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

What about the potassium chloride pellets? I understand they work as well and drinking is not a concern.

Thunder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit