Biblical, Christian "Morals"

by Norm 27 Replies latest jw friends

• logical
    logical
    Looking at the Ten Commandments it is pretty clear that these were exclusively for the Jews.
    “You shall not kill” didn’t include killing non-Israelites. Moses was a murderer, but this was no problem since his victim was an Egyptian. Coveting other men’s wives was only wrong if the other man was an Israelite.

People from other Semitic tribes could be killed and the women they did not kill were used for sexual pleasures by their Hebrew conquerors. Adultery was said to be evil, but both Abraham and Isaac tried to pass their wives off as their sisters, even though this meant having them sexually used by Abimelech, king of Gerar. Adultery also seems to have been wrong only when women did it. Judah treated his daughter in law Tamar as a prostitute and then proposed to kill her when she became pregnant. The commandments also prohibited “bearing false witness”, but Moses lied as best he could to Pharaoh, a good example of what the Watchtower Society call “Theocratic war strategy”. “Do not steal” is another one, but that didn’t stop the Israelites from robbing the Egyptians blind when they left Egypt. All the gold they stole was used to make the “Golden Calf” later. Killing and robbing other tribes was considered legitimate by the Israelites.

All BEFORE the Mosaic law covenant.... then I notice that the next person you attack from the Bible is Jesus.....

I think your motives are clear to all.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Norm,

Logical put it in a nutshell. Your motives are clear to all.

As far as my reply to your original post, I addressed your motives. Your intent was to label all Christians that look to the Bible, as murdering racist morons.

Atheist can also fit the above category as murdering racist morons.

• Norm
    Norm

Logi and Scorp,

Aha, the old WT "motive" ploy. "We know your motive and we don't like it" Translated: "We are unable to deal with your arguments so we try to ignore them".

Unlike the WTS, the old Soviet polit beurau and you guys I am not able to look into other peoples heads an know their motives.

But I guess if you are desperate enough you can use it as a lame excuse when you can't deal with the actual content in a post?

And of course it is a great argument that it is all right to be a racist murdering moron, when someone else is too.

Both you and I Scorpi, know that I know not ALL Christians are racist murdering morons. My point is that if they want to be they would be following a long Christian/Jewish tradition, as the Bible and history tell us. My point was also to show that all this talk about Biblical or Christian "values" amd "morals" isn't worth anything. It is just talk.

Norm

• logical
    logical

Norm,

If I didnt like your arguements and tried to ignore them, would I REALLY have bothered replying to you?

I think its the other way around. So WHY did you choose to use things done before the law was even heard of, to attack the Hebrews?

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Norm,

Your arguments were dealt with and shown to be lacking in clarity until you clarified yourself on the bottom of your last post to logical and myself.

Are you sure that (all) the talk about Biblical or Christain "values" and morals isn't worth anything? It is just talk as you put it.

I wonder how many who claim to be Christian today, once led a life of screwing people over including their mate and now are trying to be a moral responsible adult because of the Christian values they now hold?

• larc
    larc

Scorpian,

Let X = any religion or philosophy, and Y = Values. The term "Chiristian" is one subset of belief systems that prduce people with values. Christendom does not have a monopoly on good people. However, at the organizational and national level Christianity has an abysmal record in the domain of ethics, morals and overall goodness. Something to think about.

• larc
    larc

Scorpian,

I meant to add that in your last sentence, where you use the term "Christian" twice, a whole range of religions and philosopies can be inserted and have the same degree of meaningfulness.

• Norm
    Norm

Hello Scorpi,

You said:

Your arguments were dealt with and shown to be lacking in clarity until you clarified yourself on the bottom of your last post to logical and myself.

Dealt with? Where?

Are you sure that (all) the talk about Biblical or Christain "values" and morals isn't worth anything? It is just talk as you put it.

Quite sure, care to mention ONE particularly Christian value? One exclusively Christian?

I wonder how many who claim to be Christian today, once led a life of screwing people over including their mate and now are trying to be a moral responsible adult because of the Christian values they now hold?

Promoting a religion is in itself “screwing people over”, the Christian religion is no exception as it is based on fantasies and superstition. Selling fantasies as reality has always been a con game. Screwing people over is simply the whole business concept of all religion and a thundering success too.

A Christian who happens to be a nice and responsible person is so in spite of his religion, not because of it. So is a Moslem etc. I am an atheist and I am a nice responsible person. Most people I know are in fact nice and responsible, their eventual religion have nothing to with it. The idea that a scoundrel stops being a scoundrel just because he converts to Christianity is ludicrous, he has most likely widened his market of superstitious and gullible people who are ready to be exploited.

Norm

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Larc,

The name is spelled Scorpion, not Scorpian. So far over 30 people on this forum have made the same mistake over the last 6 months.

I agree with you, Christendom does not have a monopoly on good people.

You also said that Christainity has an abysmal record in the domain of ethics, morals and overall goodness. I agree with you on this also.

I also agree with you on what you said about other religions and philosophies.

I am not defending Christianity as a whole if that is what you thought.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Norm,

You obviousely don't have a clue. Either you are playing ignorant, or you are.

Tell me now Stormin Normin, what was the intent of your original post?

Go back and read it again in case you forgot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit