Mountain bikers... Any Suggestions???? *fluff*

by shamus 13 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

Hey all..

Are there any Mountain Bikers out there??? What do you ride?

My Kona just had it's derailer go on me, and I'm shopping for a new one (bike. My Kona is 8 years old and is dead). Probably going for Disk brakes, and a hard tail, although I would be open to a full-suspension as long as it doesn't rob me on the uphills.

Any thoughts?

• shamus
    shamus

P.S.

I ride very hard and only use it for the backcountry.

If you have had good experiences with other brands, I would love to hear about them. The one that I will never buy is Rocky Mountain.

If you let me know how serious a biker you are, and how it holds up, that would be the cat's ass.

• Purza
    Purza

My boyfriend is a hard core mountain biker. He bought me a Gary Fisher Mt. Bike (inexpensive) to see if I liked it. I do, and I will eventually get a better bike.

He too lusts after a Rocky Mountain. He was looking to get one in Canada (not sure why), but he said he could get a good price in B.C.

Purza

• Purza
    Purza

Oh wait -- you said you wouldn't buy a Rocky Mt. Why is that? Perhaps it is something I should tell my boyfriend.

Purza

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

I have a K2 and just repaired a bent derailer hanger, after one of my spectacular crashes. My bike is only 4 months old but has a few hundred miles on it already and it beat up pretty good. It seems to take the beating pretty well.

My roommate has a Trek which he likes and beats on and it is hanging in after a year of beatings.

We ride single track usually between 5-15 miles per ride 2-3 times a week. We are a bit fearless I guess and nearly like wrecking, so these bikes can trashed regularly and like it. I would recommend either.

If you are ever in the bay area send me a PM.

SD

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I bought one of those budget KHS FXT Trail bikes, and they've held their own on the trails. They only cost 400$, but if you're a hard core MTB'er, I suggest something with full suspension from Trek. If you're looking for hardcore on a budget, find a used Proflex (Now K2) on Ebay.

• shamus
    shamus
    He too lusts after a Rocky Mountain. He was looking to get one in Canada (not sure why), but he said he could get a good price in B.C.

I know of not one person that has bought a Rocky Mountain and liked it; both on and off the trail. Overpriced, and not that great. I think it's more of a 'made in canada' thing. Seriously, think twice before doing that. (I'd rather buy a bike at Canadian tire than waste my money on one of those). They are not at all popular with canucks... at least the ones that i knoow.

This Sunday I am buying a new one. I still think that I'm going with Kona. My Kona was my baby... it's taken me thorugh thick and thin,and I will miss the old girl. Having said that, I am loooking forward to disc brakes and better components all round.

The bay area... hummm. probably not. I could never see myself down in that neck of the woods. If you ever want to go on a biking trip in Canada up in Kananaskis, let me know. The rides are spectacular and I've done many of them. There is lots of elevation gain/loss, but the trails are reasonable if you're fit. If you're not, the elevation and elevation gain will proabaly kill you. (and me)

Thanks for the input.

I had a buddy that bought a trek. He still preferred Kona, but that was a few years ago.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Ha! If Kate doesn't see this thread before I do, I'll tell her.

Lance Armstrong (wow, that fellow has a heart of steel and legs of iron)...couldn't hold a candle to mountain bikers.

Craig

• shamus
    shamus
    Lance Armstrong (wow, that fellow has a heart of steel and legs of iron)...couldn't hold a candle to mountain bikers.

I don't know about that. I bet lance would run circles around me going up the trail.

• Special K
    Special K

there is a canadian made bike that some of the bikers are using in the Tour de France.

Started with a C... that's all I can remember.

Also, they were too light for the tour de France race weighing in at a total of 13 pounds. They had to add more gear to them to meet the weight requirements of 15 lbs for the race.

Bikes ranged from $3000 - 15,000. .. Wowsers!.

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit