How To Know If You're in a Cult!

by metatron 21 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

You don't need to read a book or consult a psychological expert. It's all very simple.

Ask yourself: If I refer to this group as a "cult", could I be excommunicated or disfellowshipped or expelled?

or

Have the leaders of this group instructed me not to refer to it as a "cult"?

Easy, huh?

metatron

• kls
    kls

Or them never explaining what a cult is.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Nice and simple. Who needs 8 criteria!!!

Another way to tell: You start to blush and panic when someone asks you what religion you are.

• minimus
    minimus

I think that's a little too simplistic....If a person belonged to the Republican party and told every one they were controlling and unfair, etc....How long do you think they'd be allowed in the party? Are Republicans a "cult"? Maybe according to Simon, they are, but that doesn't mean they would be accepted by their peers---if they're being trashed....btw, I believe JWs are a cult!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Join the Organization of Elsewhere!!!

No! This is NOT a cult!

In my organization you are totally free... you are free to do whatever you want, so long as it does not conflict with the principles of Elsewhereism... something a loyal Elsewhereite would not want to do anyway.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    If a person belonged to the Republican party and told every one they were controlling and unfair, etc

Major political parties in general are cults. They say that they're the only true source of their brand of ideologies (Democrats with Liberalism, Republicans with Conservatism) and use people's beliefs only to make themselves rich. Just look at who's running for president. Billionare Texas Buisnessmen with a history of money in their families vs multi-millionare heir to Kerry fortune John Kerry and Billionare lawyer John Edwarss. Guess how they get rich? All of them got rich through raping the tax payers at some point or the other during their carreers. Also consider, "Apostates" from the party are hated. The left has lots of vitrol for Norm Coleman and Dennis Miller and the right has lots of vitrol for Jim Jeffords (Although technichally not a Democrat.) Also, you're considered "Ideologically weak" if you're a Libertarian Republican or a New Deal Democrat and on boards like the Democraticunderground.com and moveon.org, extremists like Jesse Jackson and Hillary Clinton are worshipped, as for Right-leaning extremists Trent Lott and Alan Keyes on freerepublic.com and RonaldReagan.com. Sort of like how Ted Jaracz is considered "The Boss" in Bethel and George Benson is considered "spiritually weak".

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Min - I see what you're saying. Nobody would like it if someone in their group were talking bad about the group. But I think if a Baptist or Catholic were to go around saying that their religion is a cult the priest or preacher would just shake their head and roll their eyes at the poor confused fellow. There would be no reprimand or action taken. If a JW were to say at a KH that the JW's are a cult -- I assure you there would be a meeting in the little room in the back of the hall.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Have the leaders of this group instructed me not to refer to it as a "cult"?

Reminds me of that August 1998 (I think) Watchtower where there was all this 'counsel' about how JW's need to be careful not to say such things as "the Society teaches" this or that.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

There's an Elephant in the room. Elephant 2

It is large and squatting, so it is hard to get around it. Yet we squeeze by with "How are you?" and "I'm fine? And a thousand other forms of trivial chatter. We talk about the weather. We talk about work. We talk about everything else? Except the elephant in the room.

We all know it is there.

We are thinking about the elephant as we talk together. It is constantly on our minds. For, you see, it is a very big elephant. It has hurt us all. But we do not talk about the elephant in the room. Oh, please, say the word. Oh, Oh, please,... let's talk about the elephant in the room. For if we talk about death, Perhaps we can talk about life.

Can I say " Watchtower is a destructive cult " to you and not have you look away? For if I cannot, then you are leaving me alone? in a room? with an elephant.

Elephant 2

[ Cults, always count the lawyers and count the kids. It's a dead give away.

How many lawyers do you need?? Is the Watchtower corporation 'corporate raiders'?

If they are so benevolent, why all the legal eagles?? (1) Eight Marks of a deadly Mind Control Cult applied to Jehovah's Witnesses (2 )http://www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html (3) http://www.rickross.com/reference/brainwashing/brainwashing14.html

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    If a person belonged to the Republican party and told every one they were controlling and unfair, etc....

I would have to disagree - we bitch all the time, but we have enough in common to vote the same way most of the time. Which is all a party cares about.

As for the hideous crime of declaring Rich = Evil, well, I've never been hired by a poor person, and "raping" the taxpayer is the province of career politicians, not businessmen or even lawyers.

The major characteristic of a cult is, in my mind, the demand for conformity at all costs. Whereas a Party has to actually adapt to its members, a cult seeks to adapt its members to serve its leaders. There are Republicans who oppose the war, there are Republicans who seek gun control, there are Republicans who want universal Health Care (me). Both parties are a mixed bag with many good people that truly love their country and their fellow citizens. Your cynicism is unwarranted and extreme. I'm not saying to expect too much, but don't forget that perennial cynicism is in itself a form of idealism.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit