Yay ... another exam out the way, just one more to go !

by Simon 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I've just passed another exam and now have one more to go before I can add "MCSE for Windows 2003" to my 'credentials'. These last few have been a bit of a slog 'cause Active Directory and infrastructure stuff are not really my thing. I originally intended to just do the developer ones and then added the MCDBA because, well ... some of the exams I'd already done counted towards that, then I could just do a couple more for MCSA ... oh look, now I only need another ... well, you know how it goes.

If I pass the last one (the 'dreaded' 70-297) before the end of August then I will have got all the main MS certifications within a year which I'm pretty chuffed about.

I then have a few months before my university degree courses start so I may try and do a Red Hat Linux, Oracle DB or Sun Java exam just to round things out a bit.

Sorry to go on about this but it's been one of the goals I've been working too and it's good to finally achieve it.

If you are wondernig whether to persue any courses, qualifications or further education then I can definitely recommend it - it gives you a great sense of achievement and is of course useful for career and so on. There is life after the WTS and it's never too late to start improving your lot, however much you *didn't* do before. Up till now I've just survived with some 'O' levels.

My transcript so far is:

294Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory InfrastructureJul 23, 2004
    293Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network InfrastructureJun 29, 2004
    270Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP ProfessionalApr 23, 2004
    291Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network InfrastructureApr 20, 2004
    290Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 EnvironmentFeb 27, 2004
    228Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise EditionFeb 20, 2004
    300Analyzing Requirements and Defining Microsoft .NET Solution ArchitecturesDec 16, 2003
    316Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NETNov 25, 2003
    229Designing and Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise EditionOct 21, 2003
    320Developing XML Web Services and Server Components with Microsoft Visual C# .NET and the Microsoft .NET FrameworkOct 16, 2003
    315Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NETAug 22, 2003
  • Sirona
    Sirona

Simon

Firstly well done ! Its a big commitment and takes a lot to stick at it while you're working and looking after kids!

There is life after the WTS and it's never too late to start improving your lot, however much you *didn't* do before. Up till now I've just survived with some 'O' levels.

I agree completely! Lets be the most highly educated bunch of apostates we can be LOL

Sirona

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Congrats Simon!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Yay!!!

Congratulations, Simon!

Rob

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

That's very cool. What are you doing at uni? Nothing in hands on computing I hope? If so, choose very carefully as there's not much product based stuff at undergrad level that's going to push you technically. Maybe electrical or computer systems engineering?

I went to uni with guys with your sort of learned background: some of them just swaggered about, scored 95% in every exam, won every prize but learned very little and came out as self-satisfied arseholes resting everything on speaking fluent binary or somthing. It's hardly the purpose of tertiary education, and may or may not pay off in the end.

For example, I was on a selection panel for a network admin guy recently. It was a sought after job being based in a resort town with a good salary.

We overlooked guys with Masters in Comp Sci, or a 92% course average in IT, or who'd consulted to Fujitsu and every other blue ribbon vendor and had a swag of MS/Novell/Linux exams, or who interfaced with computers through USB ports they'd installed up their their nostrils - we hired a former boilermaker who did a tech course in IT after a back injury. He's a decent bloke, communicates well, and will be useful to the organisation apart from flicking swiches to make servers serve and viruses die.

But maybe you're doing American Politics, or American History since 1215 or somthing interesting? :-)

I did an Info Systems degree, now teach IT (including CCNA [there's a fun exam for you!!], A+ and Server+) and am studying Law (the connection being obvious, of course :-)

Regards, Max

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... ... and again ... where do find the time ?

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Simon- What a lot of hard work you've done! I had to take a couple of computer classes for my degree, nothing advanced, just beginner stuff; they were the toughest classes of all for me. Best of luck to you on your exam, smart guy!

• Mulan
    Mulan

You have every reason to be proud. It is an amazing accomplishment.

• Simon
    Simon
    I went to uni with guys with your sort of learned background: some of them just swaggered about, scored 95% in every exam, won every prize but learned very little and came out as self-satisfied arseholes resting everything on speaking fluent binary or somthing. It's hardly the purpose of tertiary education, and may or may not pay off in the end.

Erm ... well ... Honest, I never swagger though.

Actually I'm doing a BSc (Honours) in Computing. I need the credential for work and also immigration points so I thought doing something I already know would be easier. I should be busy next year - doing the equivalent of full-time study with the Open University (www.open.ac.uk) ... with a full-time job ... and a part-time job ... and wife and kids . Oh, and an XBox as well

How do I do it? I do read and learn very fast and pick things up like a sponge.

I really would like to do something non-computer related such as economics or politics but I will have to wait until I have the necessary stuff out of the way. Angharad has been doing a Geology / Earth Science degree which she has almost completed. She's the swotty one

I think it sets a good example for the kids carrying on with your education. Liam is quite tickled at the idea of me and Angharad going to 'big school' and doing tests (exams).

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Is that a four year degree? Where do you want to emigrate to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit