• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

incoherence and insensitivity, i think

• JH
    JH

Lies

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Stuff I'd been told, but hadn't believed, a number of years ago. While learning to use a search engine not too long ago, I googled some of the "ridiculous lies" the person had told me about Jehovah's wunnerful organization, so I could prove that smartass chick wrong once and for all. Thus began my other "personal study", and the more things I learned about what the witnesses really are, the more I knew I had to get out. I guess I'd always thought that my experiences were unique, not part of a worldwide epidemic.

Also, I date a worldly guy, and I could not accept how badly the dubs were treating him. Me, I could have handled it, because I knew I was breaking a rule, and what the consequences would ultimately be. But they were openly hostile to my partner as well, and since they forced me to choose between him and the congregation, I chose him. He's more fun, anyway.

• senselessly sane
    senselessly sane

I was already growing away from it, but one thing that really helped me was taking two history-based religion courses on the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament (I go to a Catholic college that requires us to take two religion courses). We studied the political and social influences behind what was written; this was in sharp relief to the frequent use of out of context scripture by the WT.

• hybridous
    hybridous

'for me it was that I knew it was lie from a young age.'

It was the same way for me. Even as a young child, the pieces never seemed to fit the puzzle, so-to-speak. It needed an uncomfortable amount of force to make it work, and somehow, I inherently knew that 'truth' needed no external force to manifest itself or make plain sense. After that, it was only a matter of time. I remember actually praying to God to help me. I pleaded with Him to make it as plain as day, for a simple, stubborn mind as mine. He never answered....or maybe he did in a way. It no way could I imagine a God of truth requiring me to swallow lies.

In my early years, I always seemed to know I would never follow the cult as an adult. It was only a matter of me waiting to make my move.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit