Crystal Blue Persuasion

by Smoldering Wick 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

Although I'm too young to remember Tommy James and the Shondells...I've heard "Crystal blue persuasion" many times. I also heard rumors from witnesses that Tommy wrote this song about the "Truth" book. I can't seem to find any information online connecting this song to JWs. One website says that he came up with this title after seeing the words "crystal," "blue" and "persuasion" (not together) in the Bible. Another website says that According to Tommy James himself, "when I wrote Crystal Blue, it was taken from the book of Revelation: the imagery of the new Jerusalem."

Does anyone know if there is any truth (pun intended) to this song's connection with the "Truth" Book?

• Mulan
    Mulan

That's what we always heard too.

• Mac
    Mac

Na....I think the title of their hit "Draggin' The Line" sounds far more witness inspired, don't you?

mac, herb and legend class

• Mac
    Mac

Afterthought...

I went to see Tommy James with another couple, an elder and his wife, in the early eighties. All his wife could talk about was getting a kiss from him after the show (small intimate theatre). She got her wish and gushed the rest of the evening.

Question: Was this loose conduct or idolatry???????

mac, dating myself but, only cuz I'm easy class

• gumby
    gumby

That was a rumor.

Crystal Blue Persuasion

Lyrics by Tommy James, Ed Gray, and Mike Vale

This hit song from 1969 was written and performed by Tommy James and The Shondells

According to Tommy James himself, "when I wrote Crystal Blue, it was taken from the book of Revelation: the imagery of the new Jerusalem." But I prefer to think that the "blue crystal" is really the planet Earth. This song was a big hit in 1969, the year man landed on the moon, and television viewers saw a beautiful blue round crystal sphere photographed from space.

Gumby

• Mac
    Mac

Damn, Gumpot.....do you have to use that large type..kinda harsh on these old eyes, ya know?

mac

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I am old enough to remember Tommy James and the Shondells very well and very fondly. I still recall the first time I heard Crimson and Clover. I have never tired of hearing Crimson and Clover and Crystal Blue Persuasion. They bring back very good memories from a more innocent time in my childhood.

Write Tommy James at his official website. He does write back or if he's on the road his wife or someone else will answer you. Tommy Roe answers his e-mails, too.

Flyin'

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

*listening to it right now* Thanks for spurring the thought- it's one of my all time favorite songs !! Can take the edge off of almost any bad day !!

That and "Sweet Cherry Wine"

• Mac
    Mac

[email protected] want to kiss Tommy!!!!!!!!!!!

mac

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    [email protected] want to kiss Tommy!!!!!!!!!!!

How'd you know??

Flyin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit