Placed an ad today

by seattleniceguy 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Whilst understanding the need for your advert to help vent your own feelings of frustration, what do you think it will actually achieve? Would you like a JW to get his head kicked in by an unreasonable moron who reads your advert and get's all fired up?

Thats a good point, maybe we should close down silentlambs and any other whistleblowing group for the same reason?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm considering a ED/OP submission about the identifying traits of high control groups and cults, letting the readers draw there own conclusions. This should be printed.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Mulan, it was The Stranger. I thought about posting in the Seattle Weekly, as it seems to have a slightly more mainstream readership, but I figured I'd try it in this one first. I'm still not sure if they'll print it - maybe they'll find it offensive, since I'm naming names. But, for heaven's sake, it's The Stranger! They sure ought to print it.

I wondered if it was one of those. I think they will print it. You're right...............it's The Stranger. Nothing offensive there, right?

Here is a link to that article. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/182720_kristof20.html?searchpagefrom=1&searchdiff=4

It was in our local paper on Tuesday.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

PeacefulPete - I've always enjoyed your posts here. Please do post the article if you decide to write it!

El blanko

We are all dying anyway and if it took all of us to die in order for this earth to prosper and regain it's health - so be it

The impact of humans on this planet is unrelated to the question of whether JW dogma is hate-filled. I maintain that it is.

The "they are already dying anyway, what does it matter if they die a little sooner" concept is very strong in JW ideology, and indeed I think it is a product of the cognitive dissonance related to the original point. Witnesses want the new system to come; the coming of the new system involves the death and destruction of the vast majority of the earth's inhabitants; yet still Witnesses maintain that they love their neighbor. To resolve that conflict they must resort to escape routes such as the above.

Whilst understanding the need for your advert to help vent your own feelings of frustration, what do you think it will actually achieve? Would you like a JW to get his head kicked in by an unreasonable moron who reads your advert and get's all fired up?

I have never advocated any type of hostility toward Witnesses. This ad does not encourage hostility. It encourages the reader to learn (or consider) the truth of the matter.

The purpose of the ad is not to vent my own frustration. I already have good (and much cheaper) avenues for that, such as this forum. The purpose is to promote awareness, hopefully self-awareness by Witnesses. I keep trying to imagine what I would think if I saw an ad like this while still in the organization. I think my reactions would be like this:

First, I would be shocked. When I read the ad, I would be embarrassed, because I would know that I had no plausable deniability, even if I could quibble with the wording. And I think the next step, which might not happen immediately, would be that I would start to become nervous about going out in service in areas in which this paper is heavily read. I would start to imagine how I might respond if someone actually did follow through on the ad's exhortation and asked me about this rather distasteful doctrine. And, I might talk to my Witness friends about the fact that I saw the ad, thereby increasing the distribution of it.

My hope is that this ad causes someone to think. The other thing to keep in mind is that deprogramming efforts are cumulative. Things like this add up. I would be happy to see even one person reclaim their life.

Hope that makes sense.

SNG

• kls
    kls

Great , i hope they publish it. Here in our local paper i think they are all jws working for the paper. I have e-mailed them many times about the jws and have never got a response.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If things go as expected this weekend, I will. However I'll have to slow down and do spellcheck before submitting

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Too cool, SNG! Let us know whether it gets accepted.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

SNG, I hope your ad gets posted--it could make some people think and question. We need more thinking people in this world. I hate to see the WT continuing to perpetuate their hate filled ideals. I have family in there with young children being brainwashed into believing this garbage. As of late I am wondering how far this relgion will go in their insanity and need to control, especially the young ones--they are dying in there. I think your ad may be one way to reach someone out there.

• jgnat
    jgnat

seattleniceguy, I like your style. You understand the importance of sound bytes, of small victories. Our media-driven generation has no time for long essays.

Here's hoping they print it!

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

You are a rare breed, my friend! Thanks for all your hard work, you're so rad, lol!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit