Jesus and Jihad (NY Times op/ed regarding fundy 'Left Behind' books)

by DanTheMan 37 Replies latest social current

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

# Do you read the "Left Behind Books"?

# If no, do you approve of using the destruction of mankind as light entertainment for those who think they'll be saved?

Yes I have read the books, all 12 of them.

Who think they'll be saved?? Meaning they think they'll be rewarded? The ones that the bible calls "workers of equity"? "Lord, Lord! Did we not heal the sick, cast out demons and raised the dead?" and Jesus replied, "I do not know you!"

Why do you think Jesus said that to them?

Yiz

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    If no, do you approve of using the destruction of mankind as light entertainment for those who think they'll be saved?

Mankind wasn't destroyed, it was saved...READ THE BOOK!

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Abbadon,

Your arguements had validity until the ad hominem on Yiz.

Game, set and match to Yiz.

Adios.

LABD

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Oh yes, another good point, God is not dead set out to wipe out mankind from the face the earth. If that's the original thought of the question, then the answer is no. Mankind will continue to exist, to procreate again and multiply the earth once again, under the new government of Jesus Christ here on earth.

Yiz

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Yizuman

I was kinda wondering if you had any comment about our difference of opinins over whether 'love' or 'being saved' was the kernel of Jesus' message.

Yes I have read the books, all 12 of them.

Now, as you've read them, I have to assume you approve of using the destruction of mankind as light entertainment for those who think they'll be saved.

Can you imagine Jesus reading them? Please answer this and explainwhy you answer, as I think it would be hard to imagine such a scenario and would love to see your justifications and reasoning.

I mean, do you really feel he would approve of Armagedon being turned into light entertainment, of death being dramatised, of him being misappropriated and stuck into a modern day pseduographica or apocrypha? I actually think there are Biblical restrictions that condemn the whole series of books or anything like them (end of Revelation).

Who think they'll be saved?? Meaning they think they'll be rewarded? The ones that the bible calls "workers of equity"? "Lord, Lord! Did we not heal the sick, cast out demons and raised the dead?" and Jesus replied, "I do not know you!"

Why do you think Jesus said that to them?

I'm sorry, that question probably made sense to you but I don't understand it. You also miss the point.

Should followers of Christ use books that depict the end of thje world as they believe it to be coming as light entertainment if that means the deaths of billions will be part of that entertainment?

Of course, if you're convinced you're right you may argue yes, even though I find the whole concept devoid of Chritian love.

BUT a neo-nazi would equally believe they are right and equally enjoy a series of books about the rise of the 4th Reich and the second holocaust.

And everyone would condemn them for it. What gives Christians a 'get out of moral inequity' card on this issue? Your claims to 'rightness' are just as questionable in other peoples opinions as any other set of beliefs lacking concrete objectifieable proofs. Are you saying your beliefs are more vald merely because you claim they come from a supernatural entity than from some crack-pot German psychopath?

Yeru

Yup, just like the Nazis were going to save the 'good people' (Aryans) by killing the Jews, the gays, the gypsies, the Communists, and turning other racial groups into slave nations, allowing European countries with the right ethnic stock status as client states and then building a glorious Aryan Empire that would endure for a thousand years. Yes, they were going to 'save the world'... for themselves.

Now, as you can't PROVE anything about Christian beliefs of 'saving the world' on an objective basis, a similar fantasy by a Christian may be exactly that - a fantasy. If the idea of rapture and god killing the wicked etc. is just fantasy then Christians looking forward to it are JUST like neo-nazi longing for the 4th Reich. They are indulging in fantasies where billions die becaue they are judged to be unworthy of the 'new world'. Man, the more you look at it the sicker it gets.

But of course, despite lack of proof some Christians DO believe this, and will wail and gnash their teeth at the gall of someone pointing out the moral consequence if they are just fantasists.

I do love the way you ignore the deaths of millions Yeru. Convenient quality in a military man I suppose;

<sings>

"Getting to know you, getting to know all about you, getting to know how much you care."

LABD

Ah, so someone gets their jollies from a religious snuff novel, which is obviously morally defunct as per the examples I give (and you say you accept). I insult him, and he's right?

Ha! Sorry, if an arguement is BASED on an ad hom, the ad hom makes the argument fall. "You're an asshole, what would you know" is a good example of this.

My argument is based on common sense which you said you accept. The ad hom was just for added flavour and in no way does the argument rest on it. Just 'cause your a Christian doesn't change the rules of logic... oh...hang on... is that right?

Mmmmm...

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Abbadon,

Your blatant hatred of Christianity comes through loud and clear...with an undercurrent of not understanding what Christianity is really about...you're stuck man, work yourself free. You're stuck still accepting the ideas that the BORG put into your head about what "christendom" teaches.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Abaddon,

So you're saying that it would be preferable that the men of the GB should not be punished for their crimes against men, women and children? Like the destruction of families, the shunning practices, the pedophiles they adore and love while the children lost their innocence and be forever damaged for what they have done to them? The false doctrines and prophecies that they have done for the last 100 years? The money they stole from you? The abuse of the bible for their own profitable gain?

Yeru is right, you're own hatred towards Christianity has blinded you from the real truth and the Truth is Jesus Christ, not the so called "truth" that the WTS has portrayed themselves to be.

What's more, Yeru is right, Jesus is not out to destroy mankind, but to save it. The human race will go on after Christ returns and reign with us for 1000 years and I am sad that you have no desire to be with us.

Yiz

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Yeru

Your blatant hatred of Christianity comes through loud and clear...with an undercurrent of not understanding what Christianity is really about...you're stuck man, work yourself free. You're stuck still accepting the ideas that the BORG put into your head about what "christendom" teaches.

Are you incapable of responding to one of my posts without lying? Of all the things you have taken issue with me over, you don't seem to take issue when I say you lie about me. Is this because in the posts you have made there is incontravertable evidence you do lie regularly about what I say in discussions?

I find it very offensive that you lie about me, and ask you how do you, as a Christian, justify lying? After all, if Satan is the father of the lie and you lie, who's your daddy Yeru?

I don't hate Christianity Yeru. I detest the hate-filled hypocracy that some people who call themselves Christians display.

Yiz

So you're saying that it would be preferable that the men of the GB should not be punished for their crimes against men, women and children?

Like the destruction of families, the shunning practices, the pedophiles they adore and love while the children lost their innocence and be forever damaged for what they have done to them? The false doctrines and prophecies that they have done for the last 100 years? The money they stole from you? The abuse of the bible for their own profitable gain?

Yiz, just because I don't believe in what you believe doesn't mean that I think people should be punished for inflicting harm upon others. I find it very offensive that you lie about me, and ask you how do you, as a Christian, justify lying? After all, if Stan is the father of the lie and you lie, who's your daddy Yiz?

The Governing Body of JW's, as with many religionists, escape the consequences of any harm resulting from the beliefs they direct others to follow. They, and all like them, should be called to account. The Imams who preach hate, the so-called Christians leading white-supremeists Churches, the religious leaders who pronounce on medical issues (such as blood transfusions or contraception) and cause harm through their pronouncements.

Unfortunately people of faith will defend their own leaders. Despite the fact that poverty, malnutrition and the spread of STD's are a direct concequence of the Roman Catholic churches doctrine on contraception, many Catholics will defend it. Just like many JW's defend the ban on blood transfusions put upon them by their religious leaders.

Yeru is right,

The only thing 'right' about Yeru is his brand of politics.

... you're own hatred towards Christianity has blinded you from the real truth and the Truth is Jesus Christ, not the so called "truth" that the WTS has portrayed themselves to be.

You and Yeru have not been Dubbies, so you will be unaware of the fact that your response there - not dealing with the issues being discussed but basically saying 'oh, you can't see the truth because of' - is highly cultic.

Yeru phrases it using the loaded-language (look the term up) of the Roman Catholic church - he defines me as 'indomitably ignorant'.

But he cannot actually show this to be so through discussion, he can only claim this to be so by assertion as he is incapable of proving his presuppositionalist beliefs.

You might not use a snappy phrase coined by a specific religion to dismiss out-of-hand arguments it is incapable of winning. But the psychology behind it is the same.

What's more, Yeru is right, Jesus is not out to destroy mankind, but to save it. The human race will go on after Christ returns and reign with us for 1000 years and I am sad that you have no desire to be with us.

Again, more lies about what I want. You should be ashamed of yourself. You also ignore the contradiction inherant in God destroying or punishing billions. You evade questions, time and time again. Why? Is this some Christain quality I am unaware of? Or is it because you are not stupid and you know what the answers are and don't like the answers? For example, you evaded answering this, and I would love to see both you and Yeru answer this;

Can you imagine Jesus reading them (the 'Left Behind' books? Please answer this and explain why you answer as you do, as I think it would be hard to imagine such a scenario and would love to see your justifications and reasoning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit