Guess who is being spoken about.

by Maverick 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maverick
    Maverick

This information is taken from my daughters college Philosophy text book, "The story of Philosophy" by Bryan Magee;

(This Group) tended to regard their beliefs not just as personal opinions but as scientific knowledge, and therefore as "known" with absolute certainty. This gave them enormous confidence and made them famously intolerant of all alternative views and opinions; and whenever they got into power they forbade the publication or teaching of any ideas that were incompatible with theirs. Since (this group) claimed to predict the furture developments of society with scientific accuracy, (their order) was believed to be "inevitable", and this meant that, (this group) were, so to speak, on the side of the future. What they believed in and wanted was going to happen regardless of what everybody else did or said. The whole world was going their way. As they liked to put it, "history is on our side," and their opponents were going to be consigned to the dustbin of history. They were living, not just in the present but in the future too, and before anyone else got there.

Guess who that group was......Marxism

I guess the governing body took the communist playbook and ran with it! Mav

• Maverick
    Maverick

I guess I over estimated the general level of intelligence here again....my bad! Mav

• Sirona
    Sirona

We don't comment on your thread so we're unintelligent?

Whatever makes you feel better mate. The description didn't actually fit the GB that well IMO

Sirona

• undercover
    undercover
    Guess who that group was......Marxism

Would that be Groucho or Harpo? heh heh

Seriously, that is an interesting quote. On one hand the WTS runs itself much like how that quote described, but then on the other hand they are much more like the Marx brothers, stumbling, bumbling idiots with a couple of smart alecks who think they know everything.

No, that's not being fair. Groucho deserves better than that.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Thanks for the feedback Undercover.

Sirona, being a fellow Mensan I'm surprised you would even commented. You rarely respond to anything I write, even on your own topics. Mav

• Pole
    Pole

...being a fellow Mensan I'm surprised you would even commented

• Sirona
    Sirona

LOL Pole!

Maverick, just because you are a mensan doesn't mean that you can suggest people are stupid just because they choose not to respond to your thread.

That is part of the trouble with mensans and one of the reasons I don't attend many of the mensa functions; they're so quick to talk about their own intelligence compared to that of others, which, quite frankly, is boring and condescending. I don't know about you, but I didn't join so I could sit in pubs with other mensans and talk about how f**king clever I am. In fact, just this weekend at the bbq I was pretty much put to shame by many people's intelligence and I wonder if its that hard to get into mensa after all.

I had never consciously decided not to respond to you. Sometimes people are just different and don't easily strike up conversations, so perhaps your views have never prompted me to respond to you.

Sirona

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg
    whenever they got into power they forbade the publication or teaching of any ideas that were incompatible with theirs

Hmmmmm, where else have I seen examples of this

LABD

• Maverick
    Maverick

Good catch, man I can't spell to save my life! Mav

• Maverick
    Maverick

Sirona, so quick to jump into this. I bet your a real ball of fire! I was looking for a reaction, I just didn't think you to be the one to react.

You can project whatever motive you want. I know why I wrote what I wrote. Most people who come here get half the cure. They overcome doing the JW routine but stop there. They don't give up the JW don'ts. They never replace the value system installed by the JW masters. As for intelligence, there are a lot of different areas of intelligence. True I have some things I do well but, as Pole showed, I can't spell for crap, and I have two spell checks and a dictionary right here at my desk.

Your a pretty girl, maybe your a snob. Lots of beautiful women are. Beautiful or not I'll go toe to toe you you anytime babe. Just be sure you know what your talking about. If I'm wrong, I've learned something, if not......

Mav

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit