anyone read SURVIVOR by chuck palahniuk?

by doogie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

yeah, i'm not sure how to spell his last name. he's the guy that wrote FIGHT CLUB.

i read this book a while ago and was amazed at the way he describes cult life and especially post-cult life. the story is about a guy that left a cult and the premise is he's the only left on a plane that is almost out of gas and he's telling his life story into the plane's black box so that something will be left after he's gone (i thought that was a great idea for a book).

i was sure chuck palah...whatever-his-name-is used to be a JW. he had to be. the emotions and viewpoint the main character has are way too familiar. i don't know that he ever was one, but it's a good book in any case.

you should read it in between reading all those heavy, serious textbooks you usually read...yeah, i'm talking to you...you know who you are.

• kls
    kls

AH and the virgin can read. Sorry ,could not resist. I hope you have a sense of humor which i think you do.

I can't say i ever heard of him or the book.

• doogie
    doogie
    AH and the virgin can read.

yes, i can read quite well...Aaahhh! you tricked me!

his books are kind of out there but super easy reads. he has one hell of an imagination.

• kls
    kls

LOL, Doggie, thanks for the laugh's. I will have to look into his book's.

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

he wrote a book called choke! about a sex addict who well, has sex all the time and is stuck on step 4 of the sex rehab program. Also about how he tries to raise money for his hospitalized former crackhead mother. Really funny, disturbing, disgusting, interesting, raw, yet good book.

• doogie
    doogie

yeah, CHOKE was super good (but nasty). i've read all of his but i think SURVIVOR was my favorite. LULLABY was pretty good too.

all of his books are like reading a movie. and, my...how i do like movies.

• RR
    RR

No, but I had all their albums man, "eye of the tiger" man, 'eye of the tiger"

RR

• doogie
    doogie
    "eye of the tiger" man, 'eye of the tiger"

have you seen that commercial for dunkin donuts where Survivor is in some guys bedroom in the morning and they're all like, "ROY! ROY, ROY, ROY! ROY, ROY ROOOOOYY!"

now that's just good marketing. man...now i want a coffee and a donut.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

i own all of his books, including: Invisible Monsters, Diary, Lullaby, choke, fight club, A walk through Portland, and survivor. My favorite to this point is Choke. I really got into it. My elast favority is Diary, for some reason, its just not drawing me in like his novels usually do.

I think the reason he fascinates us, is that his main characters almost always have some sort of f-ed up notion in their heads, or are totally crazy.

Personally, I love his books, he has been my favorite author ever since I read fight club

• doogie
    doogie
    his main characters almost always have some sort of f-ed up notion in their heads, or are totally crazy.

yeah, but somehow that makes them more normal. or maybe i just need to up my meds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit