Does Our Being A JW At One Time Mean That We Now Have "Baggage"?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, "having some baggage" goes with the territory of being a former JW.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Minimus, that's not baggage were carrying--it's book-bags!

• minimus
    minimus

ohhhhhh, book baggage....i get it!

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I don't think we have "a baggage." We are hurt, but at the same time we are more experienced in religion and the Bible than most people out there. We do have "past", but I think we, at least I think I am, have become better people in a way. I'm more open minded, but at the same time know when to say, "No".

Do you think you are damaged, minimus?

• minimus
    minimus

Yup, Sunshine, I think you can't help but be---at least a little bit.

• onacruse
    onacruse

min:

Yeah, "having some baggage" goes with the territory of being a former JW.

I disagree. Of course, temporarily, in the course of discovery and recovery, yes, we do have "baggage." But it's not necessarily permanent, as an unavoidable consequence; almost as if to say "Oh, woe is me! I was once a JW, and I'll therefore forever be damaged and have baggage." We choose to take charge of our lives, feelings, memories...or we choose to continue languishing in the same self-pity and sense of powerless with which we we raised. We can't dish this off to someone else.

• minimus
    minimus

Just because someone has baggage, it doesn't have to be permenant....No objection to what you said, Ona.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo
    Yup, Sunshine, I think you can't help but be---at least a little bit.

I'll take it as you are still hurt. I'm sorry to hear that. However, you and I can see more clearly than any other people out there because of our experiences. Think of it as a medal of honor like a purple heart.

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

Right on Mr. Cruise :)

It is a poor excuse for lack of initiative & personal responsability to blame everyting that went wrong in our lives on the jws. At what point does a person grow & stop blaming their parents, the jws, & all manner of other excuses for their lack of success & health? This is the same argument many criminals use to try & elicit sympathy. All a person can do is learn things from the experience & strive every day to become the best person they can & reach their full potential.

Going through the pain & out the other side so that we may help others seems like a useful way to deal with it. Wearing our pain like a badge, & constantly dwelling on & refering to things that happened in the past seems like going backward, to me. If a person keeps on banging their head against a wall, who's fault is it?

Acknowledge, & move on was one of the most profound things a friend has ever said to me.

• minimus
    minimus

Sunshine, I'm not feeling "hurt". But I do think that when we tell someone we were once a JW, to most people, that's not a positive thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit