Praying to Jesus

by anew 12 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR
    Thank you all for your imput. RR.do you have a link on Charles Russel praying to Jesus. I think that is interesting. If Charles Russel did it why does the WT say it is wrong? thnx! Anew

Below are quotes from the Question meeting parts of the various conventions. These were compiled into one volume called "What Pastor Russell said: His answers to hundreds of Questions." Published in 1917

PRAYER--Should We Pray to Jesus?

Q540:1:: QUESTION
    (1912)--1--Are there special instances in which we should appeal to the Lord Jesus?

Answer.--I cannot think of any circumstance in which the Lord Jesus could do more than the Father. But in my own mind and prayer I think of the two being one because their wills are one, and therefore I never make any mistake. I find myself thinking sometimes of one and sometimes of the other, but it is Thy will and not My will, and so I try to blot out any distinction.

PRAYER--To Whom Do You Address Yours?

Q540:3:: QUESTION
    (1912)--3--Are you addressing your prayers only to the Father in the name of the Son?

ANSWER
    --Usually I follow that form of addressing the heavenly Father--only in the name of the Lord Jesus; but I have found myself in prayer addressing the Lord Jesus himself, for I find nothing in the Scriptures to contradict that, for they say to honor the Son even as we honor the Father. Nearly all the Scriptures follow that course of addressing the Father and I think of only one that is different "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."

• NWT@Cutlip.Org
    [email protected]

I have no documentation at hand, but I think the prohibition on prayer to Jesus was initiated by Franz in the 1940s. Although no emphasis was put on it, it was accepted throughout both the reign of Russell and Rutherford. It changed either during or right after WW2.

The original charter / constitution of the WTB&TS stated that among its purposes was the promotion of the "Worship of Jesus Christ." I think this was changed in the 40s also.

So for the first half of its existence the WTB&TS taught that Christians should both pray to and worship the Lord Jesus Christ. The "anointed" living before WW2 both taught others to pray to and worship Jesus and, at least, claimed that they did the same.

Jesus is L ORD !

[email protected]

--

So

• RR
    RR

Yes, you're right, I was just looking at my copy of the Society's reorganization in the 1940s and they ddid amend that all worship goes to Jehovah, not Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit