Praying to Jesus

by anew 12 Replies latest jw friends

• anew
    anew

How many here believe that it is ok to pray to Jesus? What about you who believe it is wrong. I am trying to decide. Thank you

• Soledad
    Soledad

Jesus didn't teach his disciples to pray to him, but to his Father:

"This, then, is how you should pray:
    " 'Our Father in heaven,
    hallowed be your name,
    10 your kingdom come,
    your will be done
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    11 Give us today our daily bread.
    12 Forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    13 And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one. [1] ' 14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

• barry
    barry

The last prayer in the bible is ' So be ti . Come Lord Jesus' . So not only is it OK its biblical. Barry

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Jesus didn't have any objections to people praying to him. John 14:14 "If you ask anything in my name, I will do it." In Acts 7:59-60 Stephen prays to Jesus: "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." In Acts 22:17 while Paul is in prayer, he falls in a trance wherein Jesus (not the Father) speaks to him. Again, in 2 Cor. 12:8-9 Paul prays to Jesus and he answers him. In Rev. 5:8 the saints prayers on earth reach the Lamb through the intercession of the four living creatures and the 24 elders who fell down before him (worshipped him). See also Rev. 1:17, Rev. 5:13-14 and Rev. 22:8 for the meaning of fell down.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I don't think God looks to technicalities. I think he looks to the heart. If you feel so inclined to pray to Jesus, maybe you're being prompted to. As my mom used to always say "Can't hurt".

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

The oldest surviving fragment of an early Christian liturgical prayer is probably "Our Lord, come" (Maranatha) , I Corinthians 16:22; compare Revelation 22:20); it implies that prayer was addressed to the risen, glorified Christ. The Aramaic title Mar or Lord (Greek Kyrios; I Corinthians 12:3) was a term or title regularly used in religious worship. (Encyclopedia Americana, Trinity, p116)

Do a Google Search for Maranatha; you will find many faith groups who have chosen this beautiful

word to guide them.

• heathen
    heathen

I think that since people are baptised in the name of the father son and holy spirit that it is important to recognize the father when praying . Jesus is still considered a mediator between God and man (according to the WT he only mediates between the 144k and God) but still if you are praying I think you need to use the name jesus christ in there somewhere . The WTBTS does overstep their bounds when portraying themselves as some sort of mediator . The bible is also clear that the head of christ is God , 1st corinthians 11:3.

• RR
    RR

Did you know Charles Taze Russell admitted topraying to Jesus?

RR

• anew
    anew

Thank you all for your imput. RR.do you have a link on Charles Russel praying to Jesus. I think that is interesting. If Charles Russel did it why does the WT say it is wrong? thnx! Anew

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows
    In Acts 7:59-60 Stephen prays to Jesus: "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Infact it even says so in the reference bible footnote: 'Invocation PRAYER'

~FiveShadows

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit