I have a theory that recruited JWs (not those born into it) all have a specific reason why they converted. I also believe that it is still these "hooks" that keep them going - in the face of so many facts that prove JWs are ridiculously wrong. For those who were raised a JW: was there a hook besides the negative "You will lose your life, family and friends?"
What got you hooked?
1) Never having to die
2) United organization, including racial or anti-war issues
3) "It will all work out in Paradise" answer to crisis/stress
4) Disbility or chronic illness cured
5) Bad taste from other religions
6) "Love bombing" from the congregation
7) Analytical reasoning or "having an answer for everything"