WHAT?S SO AMAZING ABOUT GRACE? Yancey

by yesidid 14 Replies latest jw friends

• yesidid
    yesidid

Hi 3 rd

I also have just started ?Rumours? and am enjoying.

HappyDad,

I agree with you, the contrasts between true Christianity and JW?s is like love and hate. Well maybe not all hate there are some loving JW?s but the central structure is so judgmental it almost feels like hate. I have purchased ?The Jesus I never knew? and intend reading it after ?Rumours?.

Edge

I agree shallow and selfish are certainly accurate descriptions of the JW?s religion.

Billygoat,

I am sure also will have to make it a regular read, you forget so quickly.

Yesidid

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Wonderful book! I'm currently reading an older Philip Yancy book "Disapointment With God"

My favorite Christian writer so far is Max Lucado though. He's pragmatic and compares issues with everyday life.

• yesidid
    yesidid

LoverofTruth,

Thank you for suggesting books by Max Lucado, Is there any partituclar title you would recommend? I am just starting out on my non witness reading and am very impressed with Yancey but am happy to try others.

yesidid

• bebu
    bebu

yesidid, I haven't read that book yet, but I have read other books by Yancey, and he really is a class apart.

Max Lucado is a storyteller sort, and a good writer. I think discouraged people find him very uplifiting; he fills a special niche.

Brennan Manning is a very good writer, like Yancey. His books include The Ragamuffin Gospel, and The Signature of Jesus on the Pages of Our Lives, among many others. I think you will really enjoy him as well. (BTW, he's a Catholic priest and recovered alcoholic, a very introspective, interesting guy.)

Happy Reading!!

bebu

• barry
    barry

Yancey was brought up in a legalistic perfectionistic religion a bit like the witnesses and these books are in part a story of his own experiance. Ive never read his books but that is what people who have read them have told me. Barry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit