WHAT?S SO AMAZING ABOUT GRACE? Yancey

by yesidid 14 Replies latest jw friends

• yesidid
    yesidid

I found it the most upbuilding, faith-strengthening book I have ever read.

Particularly coming from the judgmental WT system, it was like a comforting refreshing stream in which to bathe.

I know that many on this board no longer believe in God or the Bible. I ask you kindly to respect my choice. But for those who do, have you read the above book by Philip Yancey. He also wrote ?The Jesus I never Knew?.?Where is God when it hurts?, and many others.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Ah yes AMAZING GRACE.

Once upon a time long ago I was a sheriffs deputy. Maning the dispatch desk was this very pretty woman in her early 40's.

Grace was single and dated several of the officers. I was told that she could do some unusual things in bed.

Her nick name was AMAZING GRACE.

Sorry, I got a litle off the subject here.

Outoftheorg

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Yes,

I have read Amazing Grace and found it to be an excellent book. It opened my eyes to what grace is all about and I couldn't help but contrast the judgemental attitude I had as a JW. I am currently reading Yancey's Rumors of Another World, quite interesting for an oftentime sceptic like me.

3rd

• dh
    dh

as bond girls go...

alt

• yesidid
    yesidid

Thank you thirdson for your respectful reply.

yesidid

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Read the book about a year ago and it was wonderful. What I learned in the short time it took to read it taught me more about forgiving than I learned in over 30 years as a JW.

There is no doubt that many on this board have had their entire belief system shattered by the mind numbing manipulation of the WT but this guy still believes (and more so now) in the life changing love of Jesus Christ.

Several years ago, I also read the other book by Yancey...."The Jesus I Never Knew" but found it a tough read.

HappyDad

• Carmel
    Carmel

Thanks for the reference. Never seen this author before. Usually I find Chistrian authors pretty painful to wade through as I don't subscribe to much of their conclusions about the meaning of bilbical text, but will take a look at this one..

carmel

• edge3
    edge3

Good reads yesidid. I've read both The Jesus I Never Knew and Amazing Grace. The tone of those books is so different than anything JW's produce. They along with other books I've read by good Christian writers helped me to see how shallow and selfish the Watchtower religion is. I heard about his "Rumors" book. I may go pick that one up today.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Loved that book! It really is a must-read, even if you don't subscribe to all Christian beliefs. This is actually a book about how Christians SHOULD view grace and how they should treat others. I may need to read this again. Thanks for the reminder!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

It all boils down to treating someone how you would want to be treated. That's not a new concept. Just an original one...

Country gIRL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit