"Those days will be cut short " - question

by Sirona 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar
    She says that if they EVER change thoughts on this doctrine she would immediately leave.

I think - just my opinion - you are chasing your tail with this question. If she hasn't seen enough already (1975, 1995, milawi/mexico, blinking lights, Swaggart tax evasion, UN membership, etc, etc.) I doubt if "one more thing will do it for her either." It's like a parent that lets the kid get away with murder and just keeps saying "If you do that one more time...." I dunno. But we know one thing for sure - if she sticks around long enough they will be forced to address it.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

But, you know, this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. When I was in, every New Year's eve, I would think of how old the "generation" was. Another year gone, Armagedon must be close. When they pulled the rug out on that one, it opened the door that let me out.

• TonyT
    TonyT

Nice job Czar.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: She mentioned to me the scripture (Matthew?) that says that the last days would have to be cut short for the sake of the holy ones. She says they always taught that this referred to the anointed and that they'd all die off if Jehovah didn't cut short the days of the time of the end.

That makes absolutely no sense. The current WTS teaching is that since 1918/1919 when an anointed one dies, they immediately go to heaven and become immortal. Given that, what possible sense to it make to claim that the "holy ones" would be in jeopardy if the last days weren't cut short. They would be in no peril if they were killed by the bad guys. They would then go immediately to heaven.

Most of the dub "holy ones" are now ancient. It has been 69 years since the door to the "heavenly calling" was "closed" in 1935. A twenty-five year old person who was "called" in that final year would now be 94 years old and that would make that person among the YOUNGEST of the "original" anointed now living. At that age and with all those infirmities associated with that age, I'd bet that facing a quick death from an enemy of God would be a relief more than anything else. Quick, painless death = eternity in heaven.

That sounds like a far better prospect for those ancient folks than having the days "cut short" and having to continue to face the fate of the body wearing out and eventually dying in that new "Paradise Earth(tm)."

Obviously, the Society's application of that scripture is ludicrous.

Farkel

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Good point running man. Glad to hear it!

• proplog2
    proplog2

Farkel:

Excellent points. They need to re-work the whole "holy ones" "chosen ones" explanation.

Is it just those who have a heavenly calling. Or are all Christians "holy ones" destined for heaven.

The Bible's use of the term "chosen" and "holy ones" is very ambiguous.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I have disposed all my literature but I seem to remeber they DID change the meaning "chosen ones" in the series of articles around 96. They subtly included the great crowd in the label.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I do remember that "the sake of the holy ones" referred to the annointed. I was baptized inthe 80s and this was the teaching then. I don't remember it changing, but they probably slipped the change in some boring WT article somewhere in hopes that everyone would just glaze over it.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

She mentioned to me the scripture (Matthew?) that says that the last days would have to be cut short for the sake of the holy ones. She says they always taught that this referred to the anointed and that they'd all die off if Jehovah didn't cut short the days of the time of the end.

w00 1/15 p. 13 "Keep on the Watch" ***

Sixth, the number of genuine anointed disciples of Christ is dwindling, though some will evidently still be on earth when the great tribulation begins. Most of the remnant are quite elderly, and over the years the number of those who are truly anointed has been getting smaller. Yet, referring to the great tribulation, Jesus stated: "Unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short." (Matthew 24:21, 22) Evidently, then, some of Christ?s "chosen ones" will still be on earth when the great tribulation begins.

They changed it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Bet you all that all the time SOJ spends here he/she counts it as hours in field service. What a cheater!

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit