Reading Glasses and Headaches

by Big Tex 29 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    then that part of the lens is regular glass

Oh. Well that makes sense. Don't mind me.

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

maybe i can throw my 2 cents in here. what's actually going on is that the crystalline lens inside your eye (that's what makes the eye focus) starts to harden as we get older. so the range of focus is decreased. the reason that you can see fine up close, but your vision is blurred in the distance after reading, is that your eye is working harder and squeezing the lens into shape to help you focus. after you're done, it takes longer for it to stretch back out for you to focus at a distance. the reason that the reading glasses will help, is that by using them, the crystalline lens doesn't have to do as much focusing, so you shouldn't notice the blur going from near to distance after reading.

i hope this made sense, if not, let me know :)

• jgnat
    jgnat

What eyegirl said. I have been wearing glasses since I was six, I have always been nearsighted. Now, horrors, I am getting the middle-age disease, and my eyes can't focus as flexibly as they used to. I knew I was running in to trouble when the fine print on pill bottles shrunk, and I had to whip off my glasses to read. Also, when I switched from close work to distance, the distant world was blurry for a while.

My eyes just don't perform like they used to.

Now I have bifocals, and my eyes don't have to work so hard.

I must say, though, that bifocals take some getting used to. Going down stairs still feel like I am wading down a fishbowl.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

T, I think, like me, your problem isn't with having to wear "reading glasses" its the sucky realization that we are friggin gettin OLDER!!! <sigh> You'll get used to them.........or, if you are disciplined enough, there's a book out that guarantees to help you get rid of glasses.....but, from what I've heard, you have to do all these exercises with your eyes.........

Terri

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Actually...........my distant vision has gotten better than it was. I do not need glasses for distance anymore. But my close up reading vision is worse. Guess my next glasses will be even stronger bifocals. I'm 57 and all of what I heard years ago is coming true.

Those old timers I worked with always said......"the aches and pains don't start until you hit 50". How true! But I am still very active with walking and bike riding. But I still need to lose about 40 pounds. I dropped 12 pounds last month.

Hmmmmmmmm.......now what does weight loss have to do with vision? Shocked

HappyDad

• shotgun
    shotgun

Tex..you might want to talk to Gumby about this.

He had corrective eye surgery the other year for the same reason and only found out after that it was his tight, bright, green bikini underwear giving him the headaches all along, he stopped wearing the petite size and switched to lard ass..I mean extra large and now he's ok.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

But shotgun, the petite size makes me feel pretty.

Wow eyegirl, you sound just like my eye doctor. But you explained it better. So if I'm understanding you if the eye muscles are not working as hard that will get rid of the headaches. I'm not sure if that will help with the distance vision though. I had them on yesterday and still had trouble seeing things far away, but I'll go with it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Thank you so much.

Chris

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

Good explanation eyegirl. Your explanation sounded better than what my staff members tell my patients!

Of course, I am an evil Eye Doctor, so you probably need to be careful of the advice I offer, but you have heard a chorus of good info here. Reading glasses or bifocals. Readers from the drugstore can be a little goofy for multiple reasons (weird optics, improper prescription, poorly aligned lenses, etc......). SO, you may need to have a proper pair of glasses made. There are serious limitations with the store bought glasses, sometimes making the strain worse.

Now, that will be $75 for my office visit charge. Check and money orders are accepted!

EyeDrEvil

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Yeah I'm trying out the store bought readers first before plunging in with $100 prescriptions. So far I'm not impressed, still getting the headaches but Glenda the Good Witch eye doctor told me to give it a couple of weeks.

$75? Okay, let me write you a check out of this older account. Don't worry about the name and address being different.

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

Uh, Tex, I got some bad news for ya... If you go the prescription route.... it is going to be a bit more than $100. Depending on what you choose (frame style, lens design), it could run up to $400 or more. The no-line bifocal lenses (lenses alone, without the frame) can start around $200. Add onto that your frame cost... Or some special coatings or tints..... just thought I would forewarn you for the possible sticker shock that is likely to ensue.

EyeDrEvil

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit