A question for those recruited as adults

by kls 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• kls
    kls

I remember who my husband was before we were recruited,you know what i mean, his humor,his daringness. I am sure i changed also but only to an extent because i had to many doughts. As i quickley ran from the cult ,i could sit back and see the person that i married into the person that the watchtower created. Even now my mind goes back to that person i fell in love with and the change that has taken him from me. And they say they are not a brainwashing cult.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom
    Even now my mind goes back to that person i fell in love with and the change that has taken him from me.

My heart goes out to you. Have you ever told him how you feel? It's so poignant and sad it seems as if it would just melt (or break) his heart.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of religous background (if any) the two of you had when you were recruited? Was there anything in particular that helped you leave?

The elder and his wife who came to see us last year were both recruited as adults, and it made me feel so sad for them. They have been in the organization for many years now, and they are True Believers.

Marjorie

• kls
    kls

Alleymom, i have told him how he changed and he tell's me it is all in my head. He was raised Luthren and i was raised Catholic.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

My ex husband and I were raised JW's but I always think about what kind of person my ex would be if he had the courage to unplug from the Borg.

He would be a much freer and happier person I think, he always worries about what others think of him. Funnily enough his closer friends are not JW, figure that out. I think we could really make our marriage work if he would just unplug.

I feel for you kls and hope your husband can retrieve some of his homour and fun.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Why is that a problem? Didn't we read for years how the 'truth' transformed so many lives? Isn't that something to be proud of? I remember all the articles on how the 'truth' reformed drug addicts, criminals, abusive husbands, etc. Just once I'd like to see an experience like yours that says "Well, I was this normal person and now I'm all f'd up. But hey, I'm DIFFERENT!!"

But no, they aren't a mind control cult.......

• kls
    kls

AH , Tall texan, my husband was sweet, loving not a drug addict, not a drunk. When he became recruited he became abusive , controlling,and down right mean .

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

My husband was recruited as an adult. He came from a hard life and just replaced his addictions with the WTBTS' addition. He's so heavy into it!

I believe him when he says that if he left the Borg he'd go back to his heavy drinking, smoking, etc., ways. He has this personality that needs to be hooked on something.

DY

• codeblue
    codeblue

I guess there is truth to this saying: Religion is a drug.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Thats why I dont bash the watchtower. I mean I know drug dealers and gun runners, ex heroin and coke users, stripers, and prostitutes all nice clean harmless JWs. Now most of these people would have returned or gone to jail. The life as a family of a felon is crap anyway. Considering JWism white washed all that using simple peer prusser and fear of displeasing an authority figure (something absint in many of these cases) how can it be so bad?

Sure it may terrorise the heck out of a "normal" person (a true normal person should be immune to the wt program and remain normal) but what about the people whos life the WTS actually made better. Some even moved up several income brackets and raise children that otherwise they would have lost to the state.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

XQsThaiPoes,

I'm with you on that one. I agree life for many within the WTBTS is not all bad.

Yes, I've seen many improve their lifestyle by accepting and practicing the WTBTS way of life.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit