30 Years a WT Slave

by uriah 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse
    the mechanics of the machine - a relentless machine that consumed human beings without regard.

Yes. That's what strikes me too.

Also, how the stereotypical German mindset of "obey my superiors" played into the whole scenario.

p. 27:

Anyone who has not been hypnotized by the Watch Tower machinations will immediately realize that this is highly unethical.
    ..."hypnotized" being the operative word.
  • Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well I guess you could say that I was a watchtower slave for 27 years of my life, until I went online and discovered the evidence that erased any doubts I had about the society, from then on I knew that the society was nothing but false prophets. By the way my stepgrandpa is 88 years old and living in a nursing home in florida, he claims to have been rutherford's bodyguard back in the 40's

Dave

• RR
    RR

I have a first edition in my libraryu ... the later editions are abridged. There was alot of anger the author's word, which is understandble.

I found the book very fascinating from a historical view. One see's how the organization went from a Christ oriented group to cultic oriented. And how was able to transform and reorganize the Society to fit his purpose.

RR

• onacruse
    onacruse

RR:

And how was able to transform and reorganize the Society to fit his purpose.

I apologize if I seem to be hijacking this thread, but if I may ask:

Do you see Paul's behavior as being anything less than a Rutherfordism (or v.v)?

imho, the development of Christianity is rather more like the WTS than we care to imagine...or is it the WTS that has copied?

Craig

• RR
    RR
    Do you see Paul's behavior as being anything less than a Rutherfordism (or v.v)? imho, the development of Christianity is rather more like the WTS than we care to imagine...or is it the WTS that has copied?

I see a big difference between Paul and Rutherford. Paul was an apostle, he was handpicked by the Lord Himself. Can you show me Rutherford in the Bible? or the Watch Tower Society? The closes thing I can see the Judge in scriptures is in Matthew 24:48-49

"But if ever that evil slave should say in his heart, ?My master is delaying,? and should start to beat his fellow slaves and should eat and drink with the confirmed drunkards."

Rutherford did believe the Lord was delatying. Russell believed the Lord returned in 1874. The Judge moved it up 40 years to 1914, then when people questioned him he began to beat them, verbally, emotionally and some, physically. he then became more of a drunk when his 1925 date failed and began to hang out with other drunks.

• onacruse
    onacruse

RR, granted that there are numerous differences between Rutherford and Paul, as men...I submit that, insofar as the development of a religion is concerned, there are many similarities between the effects of these two men: consolidiation of power, centralization of authority, emphasis on a "martyr" complex (even if virtually self-imposed).

To my own limited knowledge of the sociology of religion, this is a pattern which has played out countless times throughout the millennia. Is it possible, just possible, that Christianity itself is nothing more or less than a larger version of the same?

Respectfully,

Craig

• Satanus
    Satanus

Onacruse

Good point. Wierd as c t russel was, his followers and probably he himself had a measure of love of people. Rutherford ushered it out the door. He scrapped russel's theology, as paul scrapped some of the first century theology, namely that the rapture had already happened. He turned the focus more toward a christ crusified than a present christ. Basically, he changed the direction of the cult from a here now to future event, as did rutherford.

S

• onacruse
    onacruse

Satanus, in my numerous and extended conversations with respected friends, the issue of Russell's integrity has come not infrequently into the fray.

There are, of course, two (or more) sides to every issue; but, for my part, pending further investigation, I'm inclined to agree with you that the "Russellites" (for lack of a better general term) were much more in tune with the second law.

Which doesn't address my query about the basis of Christianity. Take, just for one example, the Antioch/Jerusalem power struggle.

Very much like the Rome/Constantinople struggle.

And the Catholic/Protestant struggle.

Same game, different turf.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Suiter was no bodyguard, it is not him to The Judge's left side (our right) in the photo, but it is Hayden Covington.

• Farkel
    Farkel

exjwelder, : I have never read this book - is the concensus it is worth a read - will I learn anything new already have copies of C o C and ISoCF GTR and Sign of Last Days When - -is this a worthwhile addition to my library? Schnell lets his emotions control a lot of what he writes and the book is by no means scholarly. It is anecdotal. But it is very important in at least one respect: it is one of the very few places where someone who knew and personally worked with Rutherford was willing to tell the truth about what a scumbag Rutherford really was. Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit