Day 14 of the adventure, Sitting Bull and more White Man Bull Sh*t

by jst2laws 20 Replies latest jw friends

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Interesting piece of history Just2, thanks for relating it to us. Amazing, also very interesting about the $5,000 insurance settlement. I had a great aunt who knew Libby Custer, she apparently lived in NYC, in a hotel suite; and didn't die until the late 1930's. My great aunt was a hairdresser, living in NYC, and frequently did Mrs. Custer's hair. She said Libby Custer was only 15-16 when she married Custer...thus explaining how she could have easily been still living in the 1920s-30's.

• Golf
    Golf

An interesting topic. Why doesn't someone do some research as to why and what occurred when the white man first landed on the shores of North America? Who's history books or information is more accurate in telling the true story? The White man or the Red man?

Historian Robert M. Utley has some interesting material on this subject. Another source is "Exiled In The Land Of The Free" by Oren Lyons, John Mohawk, Vine Deloria,Jr. Donald Grinde, Jr. etc. Foreword by Peter Mathiessen Preface by Senator Daniel K. Inouye.

Guest 77

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Custer a victim? Sorry, I don't buy it. A big chunk of my family is Lakota, so maybe I'm biased. Let's go ask someone Jewish if they think Hitler was a victim. Or how about someone whose village was gassed by Saddam Hussein- maybe they'll feel really sorry for what a victim Saddam is today. The fact is, the US govt. made it policy to try to exterminate the Indians. They were evicted from their homes, starved, shot, raped, you name it. And that bastard Custer was a willing participant in all of it, just like the Nazis who ran the death camps, and fully responsible for his actions.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Insomniac,

Custer a victim? Sorry, I don't buy it. A big chunk of my family is Lakota,

Yes, if I remember rigth it was the Lakota that actually owned the Black Hills. There is now doubt that all the Souix tribes were terribly wronged. They were evicted, betrayed and murdered, and Custer was notably a key participant in that injustice.

That is why the thread is titled "Sitting Bull and more White Man Bull Sh*t". I hope you understand I was not minimizing his deeds and the injustice of the government policies by pointed out the mishandling of the facts by his superiors. Custer being a victim of misrepresentation and possibly murder is minor compared to the pain he inflicted on those HE victimized. Even the fact that he paid with his life does not negate the pain so many have endured. I hope you are not offended by the thread.

Jst2laws

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

2laws,

I was always led to believe that Custer had gatlings but felt that he didnt need them. Maybe Custer is now used as an excuse for others failures. Its not like he can defend himsefl.

• Golf
    Golf

Quotes:

'How I loathe the term "Indian" ... "Indian" is a term used to sell things - souvenirs, cigars, cigarettes, gasoline, cares ... Indian" is a figment of the white man's imagination.' Lenore Keeshig - Tobias, Ojibway, 1990

'History begins for us with murder and enslavement, not with discovery.' Willian Carlos Williams

'Tyranny, stupidity, and lack of vision have brought about the situation now alluded to as the "Indian Problem." Luther Standing Bear, Sioux 1933

Guest 77

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Jst 2 laws,For more than a century, Americans have been captivated by the legend of General George Armstrong Custer. Since the end of the long afternoon of June 25, 1876, when his small band of 267 men faced some 3,000 Sioux and Cheyenne warriors in a remote corner Montana, Custer has held a place in the pantheon of America's mystic figures, and the Last Stand has endured as one of the primary images of American expansion into the western frontier.

• Satanus
    Satanus

If his was a traveling extermination unit, it would explain why custer's orders were not more detailed, as govts know the liabilities of clearly spelling out things like that. It's called deniability. It would also explain why custer had become a thorn to administration, as hitmen who forget their place have no place any more.

S

• Michael3000
    Michael3000
    The Americans were bad people and good people at the same time way back when.

Just like today. Hmmm...

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

jst2laws- Gosh, no, I was in no way offended by anything you said! Although it's hard to get a sense of people in cyberspace, people who know me in "real life" could tell you that I am rarely offended, but I sure do love to debate! I wish, in retrospect, that I had made clear in my original post that it was Custer, not you, who offended me.

I'm glad you're having this opportunity to see the Dakotas. It sounds like a lovely excursion, and very educational. Travel safely, and take lots of pictures.

-Insomniac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit