Care Bears

by desib77 14 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

I told my husband that I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed to play with these when I was younger but I can't remember the reasoning behind it? Was it because they had special powers? Or was it because one of them had a four leaf clover on him? Anybody know why the care bears were off limits?

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Is it because they lived in the clouds and had special powers? I am not really sure, but i didnt get any for my kids. When i left a few years ago and had my last two babies, i bought them some. They are adorable!

Just plain cute!

• fraidycat9
    fraidycat9

Don't know about the rest of them, but the description below of this particular bear is a classic "no no" in JW terms and enough to make any JW start having conniption fits! We personally have the Care Bear movie in our home video collection.

Good Luck Bear is loaded with luck and he loves to share it with anyone who can use a little more good fortune. You'll almost always find this bear with a big smile on his face. Even the symbol on his tummy is lucky?a four-leaf clover!
    Caring Mission: He shares his good luck with others.
    Symbol: His four-leafed clover symbolizes the luck that's always with him.
    Personality: Happy and self-confident.
    Character Quirk: He can make broken machines work with a snap of his fingers.
    Color: Green.
    Best Friend: Funshine Bear
    Relationship Challenge: Cheer Bear?for some reason, his good luck doesn't work when she's around.
    Motto: Lucky for you I'm here !
  • Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

Yeah I didn't recall either why we couldn't get Care bears, but what was the freaking deal about Cabbage Patch Kids. I faintly recall a story about someone's CPK being demonic or hypnotized someone. Is was some crock of s**t that was cooked up and I couldn't have one and my mom bought me one anyway. There was even a sister that made them herself. That was the kind I had. So I guess since the sister had made it, it wasn't really a CPK doll. Anyone else remember that?

• desib77
    desib77
    Caring Mission: He shares his good luck with others.
    Symbol: His four-leafed clover symbolizes the luck that's always with him.
    Personality: Happy and self-confident.
    Character Quirk: He can make broken machines work with a snap of his fingers.
    Color: Green.
    Best Friend: Funshine Bear
    Relationship Challenge: Cheer Bear?for some reason, his good luck doesn't work when she's around.
    Motto: Lucky for you I'm here !

hehe, this is kind of off topic but I thought it was funny. Lucky's best friend is Funshine Bear but I guess Funshine Bear doesn't feel the same way because his best friend is Grumpy Bear.

Anyway, as for the cabbage patch kids, I guess my mother never heard anything bad about them because I had one.....

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

It never ceases to amaze me that anything "Lucky", or wishing luck on a person is considered a big No-No in the org, yet they feel that using the word "Fortunate" is OK. It is so contradictory, as "Fortune" and "Fortunate" stem from the Goddess Fortuna, the ancient Roman Goddess of Fortune. A definition of Fortune, or fortunate is Luck or Lucky, and is as well synonymous with each other. Two words, one meaning, yet they would rather pay homage to the name of a false god, rather than using the word luck.

Go figure.......

• betty boop
    betty boop

i remember a "sister" who threw away all her disney animated movies because the were "full of magic, and thats demonic"

I also used to collect those lil troll figurines but had to throw them away once the elders found out all the kids were collecting them

• New Castles
    New Castles

I knew of a family that did that too...threw the little boys entire Disney collection....he cried his eyes out!!

unbelieveable

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Yes, my daughter was young during the whole JW "care bear controversy." The hearts and the cloverleaf were pagan symbols is what I heard and those little bears were satanic too since they possessed magical powers. When I sewed my daughter a dress with hearts and bunnies on it a sister took me aside and said I had sewn her a dress with pagan symbols on it. One sister my age whose mom started to study was made to thrown away her large barbie doll collection, because the sister studying with the mom said she had too. Even after becoming an adult this sister was still very hurt that she was made to do this.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Care bears weren't completely banned in my youth, only the following bears were:

Good Luck Bear

Wish Bear

Birthday Bear

All the other ones were okay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit