Green Thumb Friends. Grass question... (Lawn not "weed")

by Confucious 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Confucious
    Confucious

Hey guys,

Just spent a small fortune because my front lawn got burnt up. Had to buy new sod.

This is my first house.(Was living in Condo's.)

Someone should have told me that I needed to water my lawn. (Oye!!!)

Ok...

For those of you who have a green thumb.

One side of my yard I didn't have to get re-sodded. Because it's not TOO bad.

It's VERY patchy.

Looks like a bad ROGAIN commercial.

I've been watering that side like crazy and throwing down some seeds.

Anything else I could do???

• ball.
    ball.

All I know is you need plentiful soaking with water while they germinate and keep the ruddy birds away - it's a feast for them. Netting will do.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I've seen people through a little black dirt on the newly seeded parts.

S

• Celtic
    Celtic

Simply feed it and get apollos to water it regularly, let nature repair it in due course. Without seeing it directly, is difficult to proffer the perfect spot on solution. Take it you don't want to returf it since then the colour matching will be all wrong. I'd say just give it time, nurturing and loving tender care then, just be patient. Obviously around the edges of said patch, don't cut it back too harshly, plus any grass cuttings from other good areas of the lawn you can throw down on the degraded section to put some nutrient back into the soil. Send me a photograph by email and I'll be better placed to help you: [email protected]

• Brummie
    Brummie

Congrats on your new 1st house, I'm not a greenfingered person but yeah, you do have to water the lawn lol

Helpful arnt I?

;)

Brummie

• Confucious
    Confucious

ALRIGHTY!!!

Thanks guys!!!

And Celtic. Looks like you know a thing or two based upon your email.

Thanks!!!!!

I will get a pic to you.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Brummie,

Did you check your PM???

I msg'd you two days ago.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Yes matey, I just got it about 30 mins ago, I'm a bit slow to say the least :) I have replied. Thanks matey

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Confucious -

Congrats on the new house!

As far as seeding a new lawn goes, it is hard to do this time of year because most grass thrives in cooler weather. In fact, the ideal time for planting grass is in the autumn. Depending on where you live and the type of grass you are trying to grow, you may need to wait until September to re-seed. But when you do, be sure to remove the "thatch" first - which is the dead grass, and "score" the ground. This can be done with an ordinary garden rake, as grass seed does not need deep grooves in order to germinate. However, what it does need is contact with the soil - hence the need to remove the thatch. The other thing the seeds need is lots and lots of water. They need to be always moist in order to sprout. Again, another reason why the fall is a good time to plant, because evaporation is not such a big factor.

The bad news is that you have needed to start over! But the good news is that if you aren't having any luck with the new patches of lawn, autumn is just around the corner!

Good luck to you!

growedup

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I've also seen people put grass clippings from a good part of the lawn onto the seeded area...gives it both cover from the birds, and mulch....keep moist. I'd stay away from chemicals I think...though a LITTLE well mixed miracle grow wouldn't be too bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit