ex-JW for life?

by doogie 24 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

hey guys.

i have a question. i noticed that when i go online i'll hit a couple of news websites, maybe check my email, but eventually i always seem to find my way to some sort of JW related site. yeah, i know, that's not a question...hold on, i'm getting to it...

is there a time when an ex-JW should become an ex-ex-JW? or will we forever be defined as ex-JWs? i can't decide if that's a bad thing or not. no one wants to be bound by there past, but we are certainly shaped by it.

how long is too long? is there such a thing? or should i just shut up and go get a beer?

• Valis
    Valis
    should i just shut up and go get a beer?

AMEN!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Probably different levels ... ex then ex, ex then ex, ex, ex ... I d'ont know I guess it depends on peoples ability to get over ... but somehow we will always be (ex JW)

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

I may call myself a former member of the borg or even an ex JW to some, but I do not think of myself as such.

to me all that exists is part of me and still is...even the insane parts such as WTBS...

I consider myself to have reached the eye of the storm while JWs are still part of the storm....

It is my hope that all find the eye and eventually the storm will vanish... or is it? part of me thinks that the storm is the reason why this realm exists and that maybe complete contentment is not the best of all possible worlds... who knows?

• doogie
    doogie

whoa, slow down, Zen...

now i definitely need a beer.

• Valis
    Valis
    now i definitely need a beer.

AMEN!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

For me, I think I will always be an Ex-JW no matter how much I would desire otherwise. The experience has left a big emotional scar in me. Just like a physical wound that eventually heals, will still leave a scar that you carry the rest of your life. I think the main issue is: Do we constantly look at the scar, and dwell on how the wound happened, or do we just accept that it happened, and move on with our lives, scar and all.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

During the second world war, my grandmother, not a JW, was put in a concentration camp in the Soviet Union. After about 2 years she and others managed to escape and eventually made their way to Canada. Her experience there was extremely negative, and for the rest of her life she refused to let the matter drop. She never got over it, but she didn't really try either. She never tried to find other interests in life. The memories of the camp became her life. Eventually she got cancer and died, but during the last week of her life she mentally went back to the camp, and no longer recognized any of her family. As far as she was concerned she was back there.

Obviously, my experience with the watchtower was not as bad as her time in the camp. But I won't let myself go on and on about it for the rest of my life either. I fully intend to put it behind me and recover from it, much like I would recover from a bad case of diarrhea. I've given them more of my life than they could ever deserve. I intend to live a full life, and will concentrate on accumulating good memories rather than dwelling excessively on the bad memories of the past.

When I'm ready to die the LAST thing I want to be thinking about is the stupid bloody watchtower.

Walter

• doogie
    doogie
    I fully intend to put it behind me and recover from it, much like I would recover from a bad case of diarrhea.

that's refreshing.

• JenGill97
    JenGill97

I think eventually you will get away from the JW stigma that we are left with. That is why we flock (for lack of a better word) to these sites. I have found myself drifting away lately and in fact I hardly post anymore, but I am constantly aware of anything and everything JW that is going on around me. When people start talking about it, my ears perk up and I pay close attention. Maybe someday I won't even do that. Who knows. At least I feel like I am getting farther away from it.

Jen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit