Catholic church filing bankruptcy

by TweetieBird 22 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ARCHDIOCESE_BANKRUPTCY?SITE=NYTRO&SECTION=HOME

Jul 6, 2:25 PM EDT

Portland Archdiocese Filing Chapter 11

By AVIVA L. BRANDT
    Associated Press Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The Portland Archdiocese said Tuesday that it will file for bankruptcy because it can't afford to pay the potential cost of sex abuse lawsuits, becoming the first Roman Catholic diocese in the nation to seek such court relief.

The Chapter 11 bankruptcy action, planned for Tuesday afternoon, freezes the start of a priest abuse civil trial involving the late Rev. Maurice Grammond, who was accused of molesting more than 50 boys in the 1980s. Grammond died in 2002.

Plaintiffs in two lawsuits involving Grammond have sought a total of more than $160 million. The archdiocese and its insurers already have paid more than $53 million to settle more than 130 claims by people who say they were abused by priests.

Dozens of other claims are pending, and at Tuesday's news conference, church officials said they could not afford what the plaintiffs are asking.

"The pot of gold is pretty much empty right now," Archbishop John Vlazny said, who warned parishioners last year in a letter that the archdiocese might go bankrupt.

James Devereaux, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit that had been scheduled to go to trial Tuesday, vowed that in spite of the announcement, "We will continue our fight to finally get the archdiocese to accept the sin of its crimes."

David Slader, a plaintiffs' attorney, said the church was simply trying to avoid the details of the lawsuit coming out in court. "The bishop hasn't begun to touch his pot. He is lying," Slader told reporters.

No other U.S. diocese has ever declared bankruptcy, according to Fred J. Naffziger, a business law professor at Indiana University.

Tom Stilley, the attorney handling the archdiocese's bankruptcy filing, also said it was the first such case, but added other dioceses are considering the same step.

Chapter 11 bankruptcy frees an organization from the threat of creditors' lawsuits while it reorganizes. However, it could also open church records to public scrutiny, and could require church leaders to cede some control to the courts.

The Archdiocese of Boston, which was flooded with civil lawsuits after the clergy sex abuse crisis erupted there, considered bankruptcy, but opted to sell church real estate worth millions to settle the claims. The Diocese of Tucson, Ariz., last month said it was considering filing for bankruptcy to resolve pending lawsuits.

Latest News
    Court OKs Exit Financing for Adelphia

Interactive
    Roman Catholic Church
    Latest News
    Clergy Abuse Cases Highlight Cardinal

Prosecutors Drop Paul Shanley Accuser

Bishop'Frustrated' by Vatican's Pace

Nun Settles Sexual Abuse Allegations

'; get_ad2 += ''; get_ad2 += ''; document.writeln(get_ad2); self.focus(); } //-->

In the 1990s, the Archdiocese of Santa Fe, N.M., was brought to the brink of bankruptcy, and had to borrow from parish savings accounts to pay millions of dollars in abuse cases.

Nationwide, abuse cases are known to have cost the church more than $650 million since 1950.

Only a handful of priest abuse lawsuits have actually gone to trial in the United States; most settle beforehand in an effort to avoid a public airing of testimony.

In the case involving Grammond, Vlazny said, the diocese made "every effort to settle the cases fairly. I am committed to just compensation. These (plaintiffs') demands go beyond compensation. With 60 other claims pending, I cannot in justice and prudence pay the demands of these two plaintiffs."

In a deposition taken before his death, Grammond said, "I'd say these children abused me. They'd dive in my lap to get sexual excitement."

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup
    In a deposition taken before his death, Grammond said, "I'd say these children abused me. They'd dive in my lap to get sexual excitement."

UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Oh! This just pisses me off!!!!!

As to filing bankruptcy, that is a serious crock! The Portland archdiocese, or whatever they are called, is still a part of the Vatican - and it has been shown over and over again that the Vatican allowed these priests to abuse. So - they are just sending up a smoke screen. The Vatican is one of the richest entities in the world, and I hope those victims get every penny they are seeking - especially in the face of comments such as the one highlighted above!

It's hard to decide which is worse - the Catholic Church or the WT? Why waste my time debating it? They're both equally abhorrent!

My .02,

growedup

• Mary
    Mary
    Grammond said, "I'd say these children abused me. They'd dive in my lap to get sexual excitement."

Oh my god, what a sick f*ck.

Ya, we all know the real problem with pedophiles is that it's the children's fault. Too bad this guy's already dead because someone like him needs to have his dick chopped off, stuffed down his throat and then be BEATEN to death......I hope he suffered before he died, the scum lapping piece of cow manure.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

This rich Vatican you talk about...has only operated in the black for about 8 years or so. Much of it's "wealth" is in art.

As to the Arch Diocese being part of the vatican, that just isn't so...each Diocese is an independent church. The Vatican has ZERO control of it's finances...almost no control of it's personnel.

There is also something fundamentally wrong with suing someone who is dead and therefore can't defend himself, or am I missing something.

WOOO WOOOO here comes the money train...all the dollars in the world won't fix the damage done. I see lawyers getting rich, churches going broke, but I don't see people healing.

• Mary
    Mary
    There is also something fundamentally wrong with suing someone who is dead and therefore can't defend himself, or am I missing something.

Grammond was a priest who sexually abused at least 25 young boys over a 50 year period. He got Alzheimers in the late 1980s, and died a few years back. The Catholic church has already paid out millions in compensation to his victims, but there are more apparently out there that are still suing the Church. The guy was a slimeball of the lowest order, that's for sure.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Yeah. I say that if you cannot be convicted in court of something, then you shouldn't be liable for a lawsuit of any kind. Even OJ shouldn't have had to pay in civil court if the criminal court found him not guilty.

CZAR

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Yeru -

If the Vatican ever owned the church building or land, and/or held the mortgage for said church, then they can be named in the suit under certain provisions of US law.

fwiw - when a judgment is rendered in the US, all assets are attachable - not just cash assets - after a certain "homestead value" has been surpassed. The homestead amounts are as low as $0, as in the State of Delaware, and as high as $125,000 in the State of Nevada. In the State of Oregon, the homestead exemption is $15,000, which doesn't allow them much. After that, nothing is protected. So the valuable art pieces can, at least under US law, be sold or flat out confiscated to pay the judgment.

As far as people bringing about frivolous lawsuits, I am kinda of surprised you said that! These people may never have been abused if the Catholic church - under the direction of the Vatican - did not move priests who were reported as abusers to other churches where they could abuse again. I don't know the particulars of these cases - but I do know that anyone who blames the child for the abuse - as this guy has done - is a sick man - and the victims, IMHO, deserve compensation for the crimes committed against them. Since the Vatican itself readily admits to moving these priests around, then they are just as guilty as the perpetrator/s in my book.

I'm not looking to start a flame war with ya. I just thought you'd want to know the particulars of the law as I understand it.

growedup

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    Grammond was a priest who sexually abused at least 25 young boys over a 50 year period. He got Alzheimers in the late 1980s, and died a few years back. The Catholic church has already paid out millions in compensation to his victims, but there are more apparently out there that are still suing the Church. The guy was a slimeball of the lowest order, that's for sure.

There was a trial that determined this...or is he guilty because the accusations were made?

Civil suits are allowed even if criminal courts find an individual not guilty because the stakes aren't as high. But still should not be allowed if the guy can't defend himself.

Sweetie, the Vatican isn't in the business of holding mortgages etc, like I said, each individual diocese is it's own entity. Next, do we really want to get into the business of piecing out the diocese, much less the vatican? When all the money is carved up and given to the lawyers...and the miserable left overs given to the victims...who then will run the food banks and hospitals and charities that were at one time run by the Diocese? Will the lawyers be feeding, clothing, housing, and nursing the poor then?

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Yeru,

You bring up some very good questions. And honestly, I don't have answers. I can see the "good" in the Catholic church as far as what they do for the poor, etc. But then I also look at the WT who has also directed the protection of pedophiles, and my stomach turns over. These are tough questions - do we mete out justice for both entities evenly since they have both committed the same crime, or do we balance it out based upon the "good" they do, as well? After all, with one entity, innocent people who rely upon the charity of the church could potentially be affected, too.

Again, Yeru, I'm not sure how to answer these very tough questions. In fact, they are so tough, I wouldn't want to be sitting on a jury which has to make decisions which will cause division no matter what they come up with.

*sighs heavily*

growedup

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

The trail was to prove that the archdiocese knew about the abuse of two men by the late Father Maurice Grammond.

The first plaintiff claims he was 8-years-old when Grammond allegedly fondled him at a church in

Yeru

Other news outlets report that the Church was aware of his pedophiliac practices and the plaintiffs are suing the church for their allowing him to continue to molest children?or as Grammond would say he was abused by these children.

They are not suing a dead man, but the Church based on interrogatories, decelerations and depositions made by the dead priest who confesed to such and that the church allowed it by quietly moving him to other parishes.

Cassi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit