jw speak, I'm just maintaining. ever here this ?

by johnny cip 11 Replies latest jw friends

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i know a bunch of jw's for over 30 years , and most of them aviod me , they hate getting twisted into a pretzel. but some of them do talk with me . and i allways ask them how are you doing? a large portion of them look at me as say ." i'm just maintaining." with a sad look on thier face like their lives have been hell , it's hard to describe, but you can truely see sadness in thier heart, and i think it's from all the time they know they waisted preaching false promises. any one else ever hear or seen this. john

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Definately, Because of their belief in armagedon and the paradise a lot of witnesses put their lives on hold waiting for that day.

It's like they can't be truly happy in "this system of things".

Also because a lot suffer from depression but are advised not to seek professional help as that would be worldly advice. Told just to hang out for the new system when all their problems will be solved.

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

I never heard of people saying that psychiatric assistance isn't christian-like... However I've seen a few happy ones. And a few sad ones. Happy and sad people everywhere lol. Thing you gotta figure out is... How can you help out their lives. Everybody needs that little person to push them along and them talking to you is proof enough that they aren't the devil himself lol.

However, I think just alot of witnesses just get tired of being the ones that save the world ya know? It is hard, very hard. I hope they push more association and don't hate on gatherings as much as they do in the modern times.

My mom is like that though. Depressed a lot and I mean a lot of times. She is a very paranoid person and that kind of puts a negative view of her in my mind. That's why I always feel like I hate her at times. But if those people won't show you love... at least you can show them love. But oh well... everybody seems down these days.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Yes, it is really a shame that so many of them lead depressed lives. They are constantly made to feel that they are not doing enough, so they basically kill any happiness they have by pouring their time, their energy, their Money, THEMSELVES, into an organization that offers false hope and promises. I think deep down, a lot of them know this, but being a JW is so ingrained in them, and has become such an intregal part of their lives, that they could not even fathom a way out, even if they wanted to. When I see a JW, I see co-dependance. They feel there is no other life outside of the Org. It is like an abused spouse being abused either emotionally or physically, they choose to stay, even though they know they would be much happier away, but they just cannot find the strength to leave. I do really feel for them.

Knowing this makes me realize how blessed most of us are that have been able to leave, whether it was by our own decision, or not. Yes, we have our sorrows, our guilt, our depression, and so on, but we are free from the snare, which enables us to be able to start the path to healing, whereas those still in, and are too afraid to leave do not really have that option.

• Carmel
    Carmel

OS,

"If in this day you are not happy, for what day are you waiting?" There is a ton of reasons to be joyful and happy, not the least of which is the plethora of material comfort and opportunity. There is a myriad of ways to help others to bring light and joy to others. What is there to be "down" about?

carm

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I hear...

Oh, we're just hanging in there...The pressures of this old system is weighing heavily on all of us--everyone in the congo is being attacked in one way or another. Satan knows his time is short now. We just have to hang in there to the end. We really need the new system now.

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

Agreed Johnny, I do see sadness when I run across them. However, knowing what we know about the ones who "went off the deep end"....I'm pretty sure the sadness is for my lost salvation. There is definately a depression issue with the witnesses, but I'd bet its the same for all fundamentalist religions. Living by someone else's standards, and under such rigid controls, we all know how that is.

But I'd have to say, I don't see much difference now than from 7 years ago, when I was still active. Same old rhetoric.

~Snap

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

All I can say is that I was never more depressed than when I was a JW, I actually smile now and when good things happen to me I finally feel that I deserve it.

PB

• finallyspringlol
    finallyspringlol

man o man..i remember been so unhappy. thinking that i was not doing enough, not 'spiritual enough'. been told that the world is a horrible place, disasters, worldly evil people who dont care about you.....waiting and waiting for the 'new system' to come. and everyone was so tired. thats because we had so many expectations put upon on us. even in our free time, our minds could not rest....always thinking 'this is bad' or 'this is good'. and i found that alot of the sisters were depressed, seriously depressed. and it just got worse. if it was found out that sister 'so and so'...cannot attend meetings, but boy, she sure does do this or that....well that is so bad! that sister would not have a good reputation in the congregation. and the brothers! my god, if you were not an elder or ms...that was not good. or if you had problems with your kids. that was not good either. the pressure put on the brothers is very heavy......i dont know what else to say, all i know, is that i found it to be a very negative atmosphere that just brought alot of people down....i am so glad and relieved that i dont have to worry so much anymore.

i hope i have made some sense...

joanne

• 4JWY
    4JWY

My JW dad took his life one year ago and I'm just having brought back to mind through this post one of the things he used to answer when a person who he knew really didn't give a crap, would ask, "how are you?" He said, " if I told you, you would go home sick."

The "how are you's" used to annoy him more than anything because he saw so many were just putting on a facade of "christian love" to an old guy and couldn't wait to keep moving through the crowd of robots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit