A QUESTION FOR (EX) ELDERS

by new light 16 Replies latest jw friends

• new light
    new light

Did you take it easy, judicially speaking, on those with congregation responsiblities? Were you extremely slow to remove anyone because no one wanted the additional work caused by a servant's absence? I know of some pretty crappy, OK, really crappy and unscriptural things done by MS's and elders that definitely called for removal, but the elders quickly swept it under the rug. I wonder if this is driven by simple laziness. "Oh, we can't remove Brother Lush, who else is going to do the accounts report?"

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

The elders I served with had the motto: You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. The most notable exp. I had was an elders wife would get drunk quite often, once publically at a wedding. The P.O. and this elder were very good friends, so this was basically ignored, even though I brought it up. The P.O would say we just can't be short another elder.

• gumby
    gumby
    Were you extremely slow to remove anyone because no one wanted the additional work caused by a servant's absence?

We never refrained from removing someone because of fear of an added burden to other servants. It's hard to be removed as an elder unless some SERIOUS wrongdoing can be proved. An Elders "overdrinking" is an easy one to brush under the rug because of the various levels of intoxication that can easily be debated.......especially if the elder is well liked and since drinking is allowed.

As far as there being predjudice between publishers and servants.......yes there is. An elders word against a publishers word, is like a cops word against an everyday citizen.

Gumby

• Puternut
    Puternut

I never took it 'easy', in the sense of being lazy. But I was thourough with my research, as well as investigations. There was a lot of responsibility that went with being an elder. Lives were at stake, and so many issues and sides had to be discovered.

I was never hasty, but yet I was firm in handeling things correctly. Even if it was borderline with the WT. I wanted to be fair, kind, loving and just. (wow memories)

Puternut

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

My thing is why did you elders ever remove anyone?

If I was an elder I would be cencerely confused of why you had to df anyone. I mean everything is remotely confidential and one less person makes the numbers look bad. If the person was not criminally charged for anything then I would see no need to take any action against them. I never understood the compulsion to call for a JC. Because personally DFing is a really dumb... well I can't figure out what it is suppossed to be but some type of I don't know quarantine?

Anyone know of any halls like that, and what was the reputation of places like that behind closed doors?

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi NewLight,

Did you take it easy, judicially speaking, on those with congregation responsiblities?

No. If anything, there was a tendency to be more demanding of an Elder or MS who made a serious violation of Watchtower rules.

Were you extremely slow to remove anyone because no one wanted the additional work caused by a servant's absence?

No. If anything it was an opportunity to promote those we were already grooming.

I know of some pretty crappy, OK, really crappy and unscriptural things done by MS's and elders that definitely called for removal, but the elders quickly swept it under the rug. I wonder if this is driven by simple laziness. "Oh, we can't remove Brother Lush, who else is going to do the accounts report?"

No, lasziness was never a deterant in removing and Elder or MS. Rather, Elders more often took (take) delight in using their "Elder Powers" ...

Also, this is one of those issues that is truly "local." In larger urban congregations, where people move in and out a lot, there is less of an "old boys network" for Elders to contend. Whereas in small towns and rural areas, there is a strong tendency to be more lienient and forgiving of "family" and close buddies who break the rules. Yet, in rural areas, there is an equally strong tendency to boot those not part of the "in-crowd."

Jim W.

• minimus
    minimus

Why remove a "friend"? ......Consciously or subconsciously----we don't want to go after friends, family or "useful workers". Even the "lowly" brother that does the lawn is quite useful so cut him a little slck.....It's human nature to take care of yourself and your friends.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

[[ As far as there being prejudice between publishers and servants.......yes there is. An elders word against a publishers word, is like a cops word against an everyday citizen.

Gumby ]] Until......... The 'lowly' wrongfully disfellowshipped publisher dogs you into oblivion for the next 15 years. Click my profile/bio Smiley Gun

• Puternut
    Puternut
    My thing is why did you elders ever remove anyone?

Removing and disfellowshipping are two different things. I was never for disfellowshipping. But we had some elders, that were not elder material. Their counsel to others was more harmful than any being an aid to those in need. Some just never learned, and were in it for the glory.

Puternut

• Ciara
    Ciara

I think my dad loved the whole idea of being able to remove others, it was like a power trip. He was the P.O. so I guess everyone else was supposed to bow down and kiss his ass. My mom had this joke: Q. What do you call a P.O.'s wife?

A. A P.O.W.

Although, personally I think us kids were the prisoners of war.

Ciara

P.S. sorry for getting a little off the subject

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit