things I do not like about xmas

by zen nudist 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

aside from the reasons JWs give as it being a pagan holiday renamed....

I do not like the fact that parents think nothing of lying to their children about this mythical santa claus

and the constant hollywood movies making anyone who exposes the gag as an evil monster...while giving children reasons to believe that santa claus really does exist after all...ignore your older friends who have been poisoned by the secular world.

I find it appalling to ever teach a child to simply expect people to give them things just because the calendar says a certain day.

I find the mindless devoution to christmas to be just as appalling as the brainwashing JWs do against it... I see people in my office acting like german clocks... the clock strikes easter and the decorate the office, strikes holloween and they decorate again...strikes christmas and more decorations....

then the frets and worries over what to get who and how much to go into debt over it.

I knew one lady who spent over $300 on a child less than two and was very depressed about two weeks later when the novelty wore off and only very inexpensive things returned as the main attraction.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Hey zen,

I hear you and felt the same way....until my wife ( who is Catholic and never was a JW) introduced me to the magical influence ( very infectious) of the Christmas holiday. There is some truth to the rumor of "that special time of year" and it is not religious.

It is so much more than those "pagan rituals".

....there is a special "glow" to the children in the weeks and days preceding the 25th. Yes, they are being told a "story"; but they all catch on by the time they are 6 or 7; and they go along with the ruse for "fun". They LOVE it; and why not? Who is being hurt?

....it is a time of family togetherness. Yes, it could be done at any time of the year; and my family is together all the time; but this gives a "reference point" to rally around as an excuse to get together and party; see old friends and family.

.... Western Culture ( snubbed by the JW teachings) has chosen this holiday as "centerpiece" of religious and cultural celebration; for whatever reason, much tradition has grown around it. In my wife and her families perspective; it is more the tradition than the actual religious practice that is so special.

Forget any religious connotations to the holiday and just accept it as a time of year to celebrate and party.

Read the childrens book "The Polar Express"; that book brought tears to my eyes when I read it to my kids; and it struck me like a ton of bricks what I had suffered as a child and missed due to the JW teachings. This will soon be a movie and hopefully it will capture the same magic as the book.

Merry Christmas, Zen.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was raised a JW and therefore have no real emotional attachment to Christmas.

I think it's a nice opportunity for kids to have fun and for family time together. Like anything, it can get out of hand. Whether Christmas is "good" for a person or not often depends on not having set your expectations too high for it.

• fraidycat9
    fraidycat9

I may be odd man out on this one. I was born and raised a JW and I've ALWAYS liked Christmas. I agree with not promoting the Santa lie and gimme gimme gimme 'cause you gotta. To me, it was never about the "stuff". It's the smells, the atmosphere, the food, the songs (O Holy Night always gives me the chills), the visits from friends, (most of them JW's) etc;. Did I say, most of them JW's? The hardest part about all this was that I had to keep most of this happiness to myself, appear to be somber in public and "tsk, tsk" everyone who celebrated because I "felt sorry for them" . There were a select few JW's who privately admitted liking Christmas as much as I do. The feeling I get is probably the same feeling that the little Whos (from How the Grinch Stole Christmas) felt when the Grinch stole all the presents and they all joined hands and sang "Fah who for-aze! Dah who dor-aze! Welcome Christmas, Come this way!" They had not presents but the spirit lived on. I like that.

• jwbot
    jwbot

My S/O loves christmas and puts absolutely no religious implications in it. His whole family comes around and it is all about family to him which to me, makes it very special.

And it was fun to decorate a tree (or for me, I "designed" it) and have that atmosphere in an otherwise, bleak season. I get seasonal associative disorder (or depression) so it is a welcomed break from the cold, dark loneliness that winter brings about for me.

It is a purely commercial holiday now but it is a really good time for family to get together, because we all are on vacation so more likely we can enjoy it together (not my family, mind you, but my S/O's family). Its nice to get/buy/make gifts for people to rather than just recieving them, although that is fun to.

I certainly do not seem the harm in it, esp. if its so secular.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I taught my kids that St. Nicholas was probably real person. That Santa Claus reflects part of the spirit of Christmas (giving not recieving), and that Santa Claus is not a real person. But that the real reason (yes, I know it cliche, yuck) for Christmas was the birth of Jesus Christ.

Please I don't want to hear how I'm a bad parent, for substituting one myth (Santa) for another "myth" (Jesus). I'm a Christian, and I raise my children as Christians, thank you very much.

LABD

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

The magical time of Christmas is awesome...I wish my children had the myth of Santa now we give that to my Grandbaby and it is awesome. Funny how many will go on a tangent about Santa but not about the TRUE EVIL that exists in our society

• Xena
    Xena

Santa is a FANTASY just like mermaids and faries....it's a harmless myth. My daughter knows there is no Santa but likes to still pretend there is one with milk and cookies left for him and carrots for Rudolph...yea real emotionally damaging stuff

Just like anything else if you take it to extreme and let it control you instead of controling it then the fun can be sucked right out of it. It's all about balance and enjoying the moment.

Just my most humble opinion of course

PS isn't it a bit early to start bitching about christmas????

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Hi Zen,

I didn't become a JW until my late teens, so I celebrated Christmas and all the holidays as a child. I do understand what you mean about holiday hype. I have watched family members and friends max out credit cards to try and have the "perfect Christmas" for their kids, then spend years trying to pay off the debt. I also understand your concern about lying to children about Santa (my daughter and son-in-law have chosen not to engage in the Santa myth with my grandson, and I am more than happy to go along with their wishes).

That being said, I'd like to share a little different view with you. I myself am very intrigued by the whole Santa mythology, and have been doing research on it. It's amazing that it pops up in different variations in many cultures, and that it appeals to adults, who wish to hand it down to the next generation, as well as to children.I've done a little research into psychological archetype theory, and I think Santa is some type of an archetype.

I am not sure if you are aware of stages of development, but young children do go through a stage of "magical thinking." My own children, who were never raised to believe in Santa Claus, went through this themselves, then eventually outgrew it. Despite the fact that I never encouraged a belief in mythological beings, they chose to believe in coyotes with hands who could open doors, and other various and sundry creatures.No amount of reasoning on my part could convince them otherwise, lol.

I remember when I stopped believing in the reality of Santa Claus in the second grade. I didn't view it as having been lied to-I felt that I had been taking part in a great game, in which I had been the recipient, and now that I knew the truth of the matter, I would take on a different role, and keep up this great game for the benefit of my younger siblings.

While it is important to be grounded to a certain extent, imagination is also a wonderful trait of the human existence, and in fact, it is imagination coupled with logic that has lead to great discoveries in the various branches of science, such as quantum physics. I think that the very existence of mythology (including Santa mythology) is a great testament to the power of imagination, and I think humans need to exercise imagination just as much as we need to exercise our powers of logical thinking.

This need for imagination may be the reason why holidays make such excellent fodder for advertising agencies. But just because they choose to try and capitiolize on it, doesn't mean that we have to be mindless sheep and follow all the dictates of what a "perfect" holiday is. After all, they use other well known symbols to sell their wares, too, yet no one suggest we give up these things because they are "too commercial".

In our family, we look forward to celebrating holidays, especially Christmas. We haven't doled out tons of money to do so-most of our decorations either came from relatives, yard sales, or thrift shops, or we made them. We have a one gift per person limit in our family, and we pay only cash for our gifts. Last year, there wasn't much cash for gifts, but we still had a tree (we paid $15 for it) and good food, and I picked up some stuff for the kids at a thrift shop and wrapped it all up in paper I bought at the dollar store.We visited with family and watched all the Christmas specials on tv, and participated in helping others through various charities in our areas. To us, this is what Christmas is all about.

And to me, this is what Santa is all about:

Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus

Editorial Page, New York Sun, 1897

We take pleasure in answering thus prominently the communication below, expressing at the same time our great gratification that its faithful author is numbered among the friends of The Sun:

Dear Editor,

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, "If you see it in The Sun, it's so." Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O'Hanlon
    Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except what they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.
    No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Regards,

Cicatrix

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    I think Santa is some type of an archetype.

yes, I have read some psychologists who believe God is just Santa claus for adults.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit