JWs have long taught an idea similar to ID. For example, when I asked about how many species of animals are around and then compared that to the total possible floor area in Noah's Ark as described in the bible, I noticed that there was no possible way to fit them all in.
The response I got was that Jehover put a bunch of "basic" species in the ark and then after the flood he caused them to diverge a bit into what they are now.
- Alligators and crocodiles
- The different breeds of dogs
- The different types of moths and butterflies that looks similar, but are not the same
- Horses, ponies, mules, zebras
- Deer, moose, antelope, goats
Basically they are saying that Jehover put a bunch of sample Phylum and Genus on the ark and then diverged them into the species we now know. So I ask if this was the same as evolution, and the elder freaked out and said NO!
Evolution is defined as: Gradual random changes over time based on non-random laws.
Sounds like the elder was describing evolution to me!