Reading the bible but not applying it to your every day life is much like..

by azaria 12 Replies latest jw friends

• azaria
    azaria

...reading a recipe book but never actually trying the recipes. I feel that in a way that’s what I’ve sometimes done. I do believe that the bible is a guide on how to live but too many of us think that all we need is the knowledge and we’re all set. Maybe it’s a fear of really living. I see people that are so imprisoned by their beliefs that they can’t truly live the way God wants us to, people who seem to know all the answers but don’t know how to give of themselves. I could be wrong but I don’t believe that God ever intended for us to take reading of the bible more seriously than living good lives, to truly love one another, not just to say the words, but to actually live it, by being there for one another. There’s been other things, but reading Crisis of Conscience also brought it home to me. Here you have men of self imposed authority who seem to know the rules but have forgotten the first and probably only rule; to have compassion for another human being.

I hope you get the gist of my post. I’ll blame the wording on the wine I had earlier.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Reading the bible but not taking it too literally is much like..... living normally.

I think the sermon on the mount has enough meat on it to keep a Christian busy for a lifetime. There are a few people I can think of that should spend less time reading and a lot more time living.

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows
    I do believe that the bible is a guide on how to live but too many of us think that all we need is the knowledge and we?re all set.

Yeah, it reminds me of John 5:39,40....that really hits home to your statement.

See, i agree. The point is to not get 'knowledge' but to seek out TRUTH and use the application of the Word (Christ) so it (He) resides inside your heart. So goodness can come of our actions that are in alignment with principles we might not even know! ...

~ FiveShadows

• Satanus
    Satanus

Topic:

Using your own head.

Playing it safe.

Obeying laws of respect for other peoples' lives, instead of killing them for not worshipping jehovah.

Let me explain. Let's say that you focused on some of the greatest jehovah worshippers in the bible; men like david, jehu. Killing people who worship other gods would be the hieght of your life's accomplishments.

According to the record, jesus never used the name. Makes you wonder if he was buddhist, or something.

SS

• gumby
    gumby
    I do believe that the bible is a guide on how to live

How can a person believe a book is meant for a guide when that very book says the opposite?

This book says you will possitively die if you don't accept Jesus as your saviour.

It says god will punish you if you disobey the rules in it.

It says god will kill ( by the use of his son) most of mankind except for the ones that travel that cramped road.

Why is it a good guidebook? It holds a horrible record of gods massacres.

Gumby

• dh
    dh

i often read things that i have no intention applying in day to day life, lots of books have lots of wisdom in them, and i'm sure some people do live by them, but i'm not going to live my life around that, i prefer to make my own mistakes, that's the difference between learning and being told.

likewise with cooking, i wouldn't even buy a recepie book because it more fun to experiment

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jews in israel, wiping out palestinians by any and all means possible, so that jews can get back the land that yahweh promised to abraham and his descendents for perpetuity are following the bible. They hope to eventually have a 'greater israel', from the euphretes to egypt, as described in the bible. Can't you jsut feel the love? Such a good guide, the bible.

SS

• gumby
    gumby

In all fairness I think what some mean to say is that their is many good principals in the bible if a person picks and chooses the good parts, and never takes the book as gods word, but "some good idears" man learned through common sense and from peoples before them. Many who have commented simply meant their is also good in many of it's principals.

Jesus life cannot be denied as a complimentary lifestyle to live by........cept for not havin a cushy warm bed to sleep in every night and listening to a bunch of belly ache'rs all the time. Sheesh!

Gumby

• Satanus
    Satanus

Father gummy

No question that some things the book has jesus saying are super. What if, because of that, someone chose to follow jesus life, as a guide for how to live his life. Suppose the guy started attempting fasting for 40 day stretches and then tries doing miracles, exorcisms, curses, walking on water. The guy might iether go nuts, get terribly frustrated, or get killed.

SS

• El blanko
    El blanko
    They hope to eventually have a 'greater israel', from the euphretes to egypt, as described in the bible. Can't you jsut feel the love? Such a good guide, the bible.

Hardly. If the nation Israel embraced the complete works of the Bible, then they would realize that they are not God's chosen nation. etc etc

By the way - I agree with the original poster. If a person learns to apply the basic moral principles expressed, then yes, for the most part, we would deal with each other in a more loving way. Nothing wrong with that. Better than the chaotic moral message pumped through the world media and education system.

"Do what thou wilt"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit